• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink M5000 Fleet Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

507 001

Established Member
Well availability issues do happen from time to time. However from my window I just witnessed an inbound tram from Alty running as a single and full with several people standing, whilst an airport service runs out of the city centre as a double. This is a bad allocation of resources surely! I know that not all sets can run to Alty but around 70 can, and only 16 would e required to run as doubles every 10 minutes!

How do you know that Airport set isn’t one that gets busy later on? Or early in the morning? The doubles on the airports were deliberately targeted to operate the busiest services on that line. It’s not as simple as you think I’m afraid.
You can’t rob Peter to pay Paul.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sjm77

How do you know that Airport set isn’t one that gets busy later on? Or early in the morning? The doubles on the airports were deliberately targeted to operate the busiest services on that line. It’s not as simple as you think I’m afraid.
You can’t rob Peter to pay Paul.
Actually I never said the airport line does not get busy, just that the Altrincham line is definitely busier and should be a priority for doubles before the airport line. Especially when (as I did state) the Airport line currently has it's most frequent level of service ever, whilst Alty does not!

Last edited:

507 001

Established Member
3121 arrived at QRD safely this morning and should by now be tucked up inside the potting shed.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know which style of grab pole the new vehicles have? I note than some are fitted with a single pole in the door vestibule and some are fitted with a pole which divides into four separate handles.

(This sounds like a ridiculously specific question - and indeed it is - but since introduction I've always had a mild fascination with the minor variations in the otherwise identical fleet of Manchester vehicles)

sjm77

Does anyone happen to know which style of grab pole the new vehicles have? I note than some are fitted with a single pole in the door vestibule and some are fitted with a pole which divides into four separate handles.
3001 - 3074 have the single pole, 3075 upwards have the pole that splits into 3, not 4. Also, 3075 upwards have 8 more seats per set. The changes from 3075 onwards were in response to early feedback from the early fleet, therefore I would expect 3121-3147 to be the same.

507 001

Established Member
The new batch will have the later style pole.

A trivia question for those that like detail differences... what is different about the first two batches (3001-3012) compared to the rest of the fleet?

rebmcr

Established Member

A trivia question for those that like detail differences... what is different about the first two batches (3001-3012) compared to the rest of the fleet?
Their signalling equipment was(/wasn't?) refitted from T68s?

David Goddard

Established Member

Do they all have the special ice breaking pantographs? The first few did originally.

RHolmes

Fitted with snapframes stuck to the glass of the drivers cab?

The name of the electrical supplier on the plaque next to the fleet number is different?

507 001

Established Member
Their signalling equipment was(/wasn't?) refitted from T68s?

They were all factory fit, which isn’t unique as at least one later batch was also

Do they all have the special ice breaking pantographs? The first few did originally.

Nope. The ice breaking pans were eventually spread through the fleet. I don’t believe any remain in use

Fitted with snapframes stuck to the glass of the drivers cab?

The name of the electrical supplier on the plaque next to the fleet number is different?

Nope!

py_megapixel

Established Member
They were all factory fit, which isn’t unique as at least one later batch was also
I've noticed through the cab window of some units plaques on the driving desk indicating that they are not fitted with equipment compatible with certain outer stretches of line... I believe it says something along the lines of "Attention: Not a [X] fitted vehicle - This vehicle must not operate beyond [Y] on the [Z] line"

This is almost certainly paraphrased, and I can't remember what X, Y and Z are, but is it something to do with that?

507 001

Established Member
I've noticed through the cab window of some units plaques on the driving desk indicating that they are not fitted with equipment compatible with certain outer stretches of line... I believe it says something along the lines of "Attention: Not a [X] fitted vehicle - This vehicle must not operate beyond [Y] on the [Z] line"

This is almost certainly paraphrased, and I can't remember what X, Y and Z are, but is it something to do with that?

That’s for vehicles above 3060, which aren’t permitted on the Altrincham line. (Originally Bury and Alti lines, but Bury is sadly now alone of Site).

I’ll give you all a clue, it’s external, and quite obscure.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
That’s for vehicles above 3060, which aren’t permitted on the Altrincham line. (Originally Bury and Alti lines, but Bury is sadly now alone of Site).

Is it the fold out step for the former Mosley Street stop?

Trackman

Established Member

Induction loop for ATS?

507 001

Established Member
Is it something dumb like a vent or on the roof?

Erm...

Was it the swing out mirrors rather than cameras?

No, M5000s were fitted with cameras from new

The placement of the overhead voltage warning sticker is next to the cab door, or next to the bodyside camera?

View attachment 85922

Nope.

Ok. So I’ll tell you;

The cabs on 3001-3012 are a one piece construction, from roof to ‘skirts’.

It was realised that these skirts were highly likely to be damaged in an accident (more so than on a K5000 as the skirts are lower on an M5000), potentially writing off a while cab. So to aid repairs on any after 3012, the skirts are a separate piece. Below the cab door there is a panel line running horizontally from the coupler flap to the main body.

:E I did say it was obscure...

geoffk

Established Member
Erm...

No, M5000s were fitted with cameras from new

Nope.

Ok. So I’ll tell you;

The cabs on 3001-3012 are a one piece construction, from roof to ‘skirts’.

It was realised that these skirts were highly likely to be damaged in an accident (more so than on a K5000 as the skirts are lower on an M5000), potentially writing off a while cab. So to aid repairs on any after 3012, the skirts are a separate piece. Below the cab door there is a panel line running horizontally from the coupler flap to the main body.

:E I did say it was obscure...
Never noticed that, and until March I was in Manchester several times a week!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
In the city centre last week on exercise, it did appear that many services were running doubles. Maybe not 100% on topic, but if 3121 to at least 3123 are here, that will no doubt have helped things (in addition to most routes currently being on slightly lower frequencies.)

507 001

Established Member
In the city centre last week on exercise, it did appear that many services were running doubles. Maybe not 100% on topic, but if 3121 to at least 3123 are here, that will no doubt have helped things (in addition to most routes currently being on slightly lower frequencies.)

Yes most services are doubles. There’s a few single Rochdale sets, a couple of Ashton sets and all TPL and APL sets. The result of that is slightly higher fleet utilisation than a normal 6/12 min service.

3121-123 are here, but aren’t in service yet. 121 was allowed out to play for a couple of days before Christmas (to satisfy the Mayor) but hasn’t turned a wheel in service since. To be honest, even if they were in service, the effect could have been replicated by getting some of the long term stoppers back in use (3024, 3099 etc), so the new fleet isn’t big enough to make a serious impact yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.