• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

metrolink split-ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
I hold a an annual county card which covers unlimited travel on the city zone (which I understand is equivilent to zone 1) of manchester metrolink, and I'm wondering how practical it is to avoid paying again for the zone 1 element of my journys

Specifically:

1. Will a metrolink TVM sell me a ticket that dosn't cover it's own location.
2. If I hold two tickets covering adjacent zones and the metrolink stops at the boundary (i.e. cornbrook) can I stay on it and travel through or do I need to get off and back on?
3. If I hold two tickets covering adjacent zones and the metrolink and there is no station at the boundary (i.e. any of the non-cornbrook route) can I travel with those tickets at all?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
1) don't think so, if using contactless you may be able to quickly tap in at Cornbrook before doors close

2) no you don't need to get off. Just show the ticket that is valid at that time if tickets are checked (or both if checked at Cornbrook)

3) no, you would not have a valid ticket between the last station in zone 1 and first in zone 2. You could walk between New Islington and Holt Town (about 5 min) if travelling on the Ashton line and catch the following tram. (IMO New Islington should be a zone 1/2 station)

Last edited:

Established Member
I've still not understood the stupidity of TfGM in not putting New Islington into a mixed 1/2 zone - its's the only exception to the rule.

It's different in jolly posh Chorlton where not one but two stops are considered in both zones, but different story on the Ashton line where a simple 4-minute trip to Asda is two zones, no surprise Uber does so well this side of the city, it's cheaper.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I've still not understood the stupidity of TfGM in not putting New Islington into a mixed 1/2 zone - its's the only exception to the rule.
Exception to what rule, between Victoria [Z1] and Queens Road/Monsall [Z2] there is also no 1/2 station.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Theres a new station at Sandhills in the pipeline which would probably be the 1/2 station between Victoria and Queens Road/Monsall. Likewise a surface platform just outside Piccadilly station at the bottom of the proposed HS2 platforms next to the river Medlock serving Mayfield and the regenerated area around the station so you dont have to walk through the rail station.

blueberry11

I think if your journey started in zone 1 and if you end at a zone 1/2 station, you would be charged as if your journey took place within zone 1 meaning you would pay £1.40, not £2.80. In other words, you would pay whichever is cheaper but it's so harcd to explain. See TFGM zones.

Stops on the border of two zones​

There are 11 stops which are on the border of two zones. These stops are in two fare zones. They are shown on the tram map with the stop name in a white box.

For example, Stretford is on the border of zones 2 and 3, so is in zone 2 and in zone 3. If you travel from Stretford to a stop in zone 2 or 1, you should treat Stretford as a stop in zone 2. If you travel to a stop in zone 3 or 4, you should treat Stretford as a stop in zone 3.

Use our zone finder to find out which zones you travel through.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Essentially a lot of the zones overlap by one station to eliminate a cliff edge charge for only travelling a short physical distance or where you need to cross an inner zone to interchange for another outer zone.

scrapy

Established Member
Essentially a lot of the zones overlap by one station to eliminate a cliff edge charge for only travelling a short physical distance or where you need to cross an inner zone to interchange for another outer zone.
This is why I feel New Islington should be a 1/2 boundary station. Holt Town to New Islington (0.3 miles) costs £2.80 whereas New Islington to Cornbrook (2.1 miles) is £1.40 (adult singles)

MetroPleb

3) no, you would not have a valid ticket between the last station in zone 1 and first in zone 2. You could walk between New Islington and Holt Town (about 5 min) if travelling on the Ashton line and catch the following tram. (IMO New Islington should be a zone 1/2 station)

This is incorrect - they are zonal tickets not stop specific, so just like rail tickets there does not need to be a common station. You can just buy the extra zones.

See: https://tfgm.com/public-transport/tram/ticket-zones
-----
If you have a season ticket, and want to make a journey that starts or ends in a zone not covered by your current ticket, you can buy a second ticket for only the additional zone(s) not covered by your current ticket.

For example, if you have a 28-day zone 1+2 paper or app ticket, and on one day want to travel in zones 1, 2 and 3, you can purchase a 1-day zone 3 only ticket for the portion of your journeys not covered by your current ticket. You should present the ticket for the zone you are currently in when inspected.
----

I think you are right though about not being able to buy the extra ticket in the 'wrong' zone, which is a pain, as it means you will have to get off at some point to make the extra purchase. It up to you whether you want to chance it with possible inspections and just buy the extra day/zone ticket at the end of your outward journey, or hop off at the first suitable stop. In either case you can return straight through.

Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Dont quote me on this but I have in the back of my memory you can buy tickets for different zones than the ticket machine in zones 2-4 but you cant in zone 1 because of the risk of fare dodging.

Status
Not open for further replies.