• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland Main Line - Problems 22nd September 22 near St Albans

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

Established Member
While working at the preserved St Albans South box this morning, between 10.30 and 11.30am, I noted there seemed to be problems on the Down Fast (DF) line. Signal WH75 at the north end of the DF platform and its associated Banner Repeater appeared to be stuck at Red. EMR electric services to Corby were using the Down Slow and EMR trains to further destinations were, presumably, being 'talked past' the signal. A couple of 'Orange Army' were visible in the vicinity of the said signal.

Anyone know what the problem was?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
While working at the preserved St Albans South box this morning, between 10.30 and 11.30am, I noted there seemed to be problems on the Down Fast (DF) line. Signal WH75 at the north end of the DF platform and its associated Banner Repeater appeared to be stuck at Red. EMR electric services to Corby were using the Down Slow and EMR trains to further destinations were, presumably, being 'talked past' the signal. A couple of 'Orange Army' were visible in the vicinity of the said signal.

Anyone know what the problem was?

Signal failure of WH75. Started first thing. Took a while to find the fault, eventually found in the signal itself, which is very, very rare.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Signal failure of WH75. Started first thing. Took a while to find the fault, eventually found in the signal itself, which is very, very rare.

What do you mean "in the signal itself"? Such as an issue with wiring with the signal casing? Plenty of times bulbs go for instant, but wasn't sure what your meaning suggests.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What do you mean "in the signal itself"? Such as an issue with wiring with the signal casing? Plenty of times bulbs go for instant, but wasn't sure what your meaning suggests.

LED signal, problem with the gubbins inside.

Edit - no it wasn’t - it was a problem lineside that took A long time to find. Apologies for misleading!

John Webb

Established Member
Many thanks, I guessed it was likely to be some form of signalling problem. Interestingly a couple of EMR trains - I didn't notice for which destinations - stopped at the WH75BR right outside the box rather than stopping in the station platform before proceeding past WH75. Not the first time I've seen this happen.

baz962

Established Member
Many thanks, I guessed it was likely to be some form of signalling problem. Interestingly a couple of EMR trains - I didn't notice for which destinations - stopped at the WH75BR right outside the box rather than stopping in the station platform before proceeding past WH75. Not the first time I've seen this happen.
It's something a lot of drivers do if not stopping, otherwise passengers might think it's a station call and want to board the train.

Established Member
LED signal, problem with the gubbins inside.

Edit - no it wasn’t - it was a problem lineside that took A long time to find. Apologies for misleading!

The AWS for that signal had a horn-vice-bell right side failure, even after the problem was fixed. Presumably this was a result of the fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.