• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mineral railway from New Bridge north of Pickering

The Crab

Perusing a One-inch map (Rev 1960-61), Sheet 92 "Pickering", I noticed for the first time (I've been interested in the area for decades) that a mineral railway ran virtually due north from New Bridge for about three miles. I assume that this was to serve quarries but little detail is shown. Does anyone know anything about this branch?

Correction - Pickering and other stations are shown as closed so the revision for the railways must be 1965 or later.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Morayshire

One quick Google later...and I found an Industrial Railway Record article from September 1966

Sandstone from Saintoft nr Pickering

I won't quote the entire article (not sure as to who has the copyright) but the opening paragraph is as follows:

Until October 1961, General Refractories Ltd. operated a two foot gauge tramway system at their Newbridge Works, near Pickering in North Yorkshire. Originally built in 1919 by the Pickering Sand Co. Ltd., the tramway ran for a distance of 2½ miles and served sand quarries (now abandoned) at the northern edge of Gundale Wood, and at Saintoft. Two quarries at Saintoft (one now disused) were served by separate branches from a junction just north of Queens Plantation, though it is doubtful whether both quarries were worked simultaneously. The Gundale workings on the other hand were less extensive since only that sandstone which lay in the immediate path of the tramway was removed.