• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mini ALR Help and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
My Mum wants to have a little holiday on her week off. She asked to do some nice railway lines.

It's turning out to be a little ALR type trip. I'm just posting here for any advice.

One problem is that I can't seem to find a bed and breakfast in Machynlleth. Ideally needs to be under £60 for one night in a twin room, and also very close to the station, as we can't drive.

Not sure where to go on the 4th day either. Need to be back into Buxton by 2130 at the latest. Options seem to be Holyhead, Llandudno or Blackpool. Any ideas or recommendations?

Here's the plan so far. We start on the 4th of August.
Code:
Day 1
 Arr|Dep
xxxx|0704 Buxton
0800|0812 Manchester Piccadilly
0906|0947 Leeds
1217|1241 Carlisle
1633|1715 Lancaster
1759|1813 Bolton
1936|xxxx Buxton

Day 2
 Arr|Dep
xxxx|0836 Buxton
0919|0942 Stockport
1046|1128 Shrewsbury
1322|1927 Aberystwyth
1959|xxxx Machynlleth

Day 3
 Arr|Dep
xxxx|1005 Machnylleth
1240|1532 Pwllheli
1552|1610 Porthmadog
1725|1754 Blaenau Ffestiniog
1820|xxxx Betws-y-Coed

Day 4
 Arr|Dep
xxxx|1220 Betws-y-Coed
1250|xxxx Llandudno Junction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, I've been to Holyhead once before, although didn't spend long there and just had a 20 min walk around. It honestly seemed quite boring and crap :p

me123

Established Member
Try this place at £60 a night. A 10 minute walk from the station, and has 3 triple rooms. Looks a bit tired, but comfy nonetheless. Skipping breakfast also saves you a tenner. But, they don't seem to want an online reservation for August, so you may have to phone ATM.

This place is £70 a night, and is the next cheapest I can find, but it does get good reviews. This one can be booked online, and is available for the nights you're looking for.

As for the last day; the only place I've been is Blackpool and I would highly advise you to avoid it at all costs!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Haha, I live on the Blackpool line. There's nothing wrong with Blackpool! I quite like it.

Nym

Established Member
It's OK for a day or two in blackpool, had my best ever night out there ;)

got chatted up quite a bit and made a DJ change his voice, it was pride weekend ;)

class 313

Established Member
Haha, I live on the Blackpool line. There's nothing wrong with Blackpool! I quite like it.

*Blackpool North, line that is.

*Pedantic ftw.

Id say avoid the east for anything interesting. Avoid going any more north, you're in a bad enough spot as it is ;). Try and go as South East/West as possible.

Established Member
aparently holyhead is a very nice place

:shock: It really is a dump :!:

Go South-West, some of the Devon/Cornish branches are great, went to Exmouth for the first time last week, I'd only been as far as Digby & Sowton before, it's between Exton and Exmouth where it gets really scenic, can also combine it with a spin down the Sea Wall and a trip to Paignton! Could easily be done by taking a day out in Wales (Llandudno would be my recomendation) and then travel direct into Londo and take the down Night Riveara to somewhere like Redruth, then take a HST back doing a branch on the way, have the afternoon in the Exeter/Newton Abbot area then take a Voayger back (think there are some direct to Manchester)!

mrcheek

Established Member
I would like to add my name to the list of those saying that Holyhead is a dump. But then again, its a really nice journey there. So try and arrive there about 5 minutes before another train leaves there.

And yes, all the Devon and Cornwall branches have to be done. Every single one.

me123

Established Member

Tacky, flashy, loud... well whatever does it for you :neutral:

Anyway, I've had another wee search, and the £60pn for the twin room is the best deal I can find. (No, I don't even know where Machynlleth is, I'm just bloody bored :D)

class 313

Established Member
Blackpool, lovely ice cold waters, friendly Northerners with their great accents...

would you wanna be anywhere else?

*note, there could be some sarcasm above.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I went to Holyhead last Christmas, and it was awful!!

After my trouble getting the cheap £15 FC return upgrade on the Pendolino (which turned out to be a very big scam on my behalf, including lots of food & drink etc), I discovered that if I had been kicked off at Chester, and simply returned home, it probably would've been better, than going to Holyhead....

I've got to do the Llandudno branch sometime, what's Llandudno like?

As for places in the North... I love going to Cleethorpes :smile:

I've only been there twice before, but there just seems to be something about it, which makes me want to go there for a day out, alot more than anywhere else..

Soon Gizmogle, you won't live on the Blackpool line :razz:

Established Member
aparently holyhead is a very nice place
Oh my word, trust me, you need Beer Glasses to see Holyhead as nice, not one of North Wales' beauty spots! I live just 30 miles away, and only been to the station and port, and THOSE are its nice parts!!!!
I would reccomend Llandudno over HHD anyday!!

If you need any help with accommodation in Betws-y-Coed, give me an email at work @ ByC.TIC (at) eryri-npa.gov.uk and i'll send you an accommodation list, as that's where I work during the summer!

Also Mach has a tourist info centre, their email is : mactic (at) powys.gov.uk
They are a good bunch down there for accom help!

class 313

Established Member
I would reccomend Llandudno over HHD anyday!!

I agree, the parts of Llandudno I've been to are very nice. Then over to Conwy, a nice walk around the castle with some lineside shots too. I wouldn't mind wasting an afternoon there.

Gizmogle

Established Member
We've now got places booked to stay in Betws-y-Coed and Mach...(whatever).

Managed to get them under £60 each for 2 people :)

Still no idea what to do on the last day though.

Voyagerdude, Cleethorpes is awful. But I love it too :p

me123

Established Member
I have elderly neighbours who would highly recommend a day in Llandudno...

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ummm...I'm not sure actually as I'm not at home. It could be "The Stables Lodge" but I'm not positive about that.

I've been to Llandudno before and I did quite enjoy it. And it's one of my 101 tasks to resvisit Llandudno amongst other places.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Holyhead is a dive. End of story!!
Never again am I going there.. especially not to get the desperate 0150 vomiter move to birmingham! Glad I've only done that once!

Llandudno is an awesome place, lots to see and do.. shame we only booked 2 hours there on our ALR. The Conwy Valley line to Bleanau is bloody amazing.. get a train that goes to Llandudno in the late afternoon during the mid-sunset period.
I got some pics on my HDD i need to add to my normal fotopic.. i'll do it tomorrow

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, I liked Llandudno when I went there :) Although we didn't spend too long there unfortunately as we got lost in the shopping centre at Colwyn Bay :oops:

class 313

Established Member
Holyhead is a dive. End of story!!
Never again am I going there.. especially not to get the desperate 0150 vomiter move to birmingham! Glad I've only done that once!

Llandudno is an awesome place, lots to see and do.. shame we only booked 2 hours there on our ALR. The Conwy Valley line to Bleanau is bloody amazing.. get a train that goes to Llandudno in the late afternoon during the mid-sunset period.
I got some pics on my HDD i need to add to my normal fotopic.. i'll do it tomorrow

NWC on TnT 47s, was great, really was. Not the 47s, but the scenery shooting past in the nice warming sun. Then the nice brisk walk to Conwy Castle from Llandudno Junction.

paul1609

Established Member
I think Holyhead is a fairly standard Port Town, the line across Anglesea is generally boring.
I'd get off at Bangor, get the bus to caenafon and then do the Welsh Highland Line to Rhyd-Ddu instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.