• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Miniature Railways - Rules for Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterY

Established Member
I'm not sure which thread to post this in.

I was riding though a park yesterday where there is a miniature railway. (I won't say where) and the driver looked very young. I was just wondering what type of rules and training are required for the drivers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
50 years of so ago I used to drive a small one round Alkincoats Park in Colne, unfortunately no longer there. the track was approx. a 400 yard loop and the train had car batteries under the seats for power, I was aged about 10 at the time.

It was owned by Colne Borough Council and was done voluntarily by myself and my father, it only ran Saturday and Sunday Afternoons.

I was around 10 at the time and had no training as such.

Unfortunately I have no pics and cannot find anything about the train online.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I was riding though a park yesterday where there is a miniature railway. (I won't say where) and the driver looked very young. I was just wondering what type of rules and training are required for the drivers?

Our very own @matt may know what rules apply. :)

Tomos y Tanc

I should imagine it rather depends on how public a minature railway is. A lot of them are run by model engineering clubs and are only open to the public on a limted number of days per year.

The minimum age to operate a public fairground ride is sixteen and I would assume the same applies to minature railways on open days. it may well be that younger people are allowed to operate engines when the sites are closed to the public.

I'm just guessing!

Tractor86

The miniature railway at Worden Park is operated by a club/society and most “drivers” look to be 50+. I must confess I had never considered rules they may have to follow.

KeithMcC

The miniature railway where I have a small involvement has training and I think assessments for most roles.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Our very own @matt may know what rules apply. :)
Yes drivers at our railway need to trained and passed out on the traction (steam, diesel/petrol and battery electric) Without checking the rule book I believe over 16s can drive with public passengers as long as the guard is off a certain age and also a passed driver. A lot of it will be driven by the railways insurance policy.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes drivers at our railway need to trained and passed out on the traction (steam, diesel/petrol and battery electric) Without checking the rule book I believe over 16s can drive with public passengers as long as the guard is off a certain age and also a passed driver. A lot of it will be driven by the railways insurance policy.

Thanks @matt .

507 001

Established Member
When I started volunteering as a teenager, I wasn’t allowed to drive with passengers until I was 16.

Towers

Established Member
I've sometimes wondered is there a minimum 'criteria' (gauge, system length, speed etc) after which a railway comes under the scope of the rail authorities? For example RAIB have of course investigated accidents on the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch, and I seem to recall they did an investigation into a derailment on a system at one of the safari parks a few years back. Is there a distinction between narrow gauge and 'miniature' which dictates this, for example?

I was recently at a steam gala on a superb little system at a country park, which operates with a fully functional signalling system including two signal boxes when at full capacity. There were numerous trains operating, passenger carrying as well as 'freight', all narrow gauge live steam, and trains were being held at red signals due to the density of traffic, a proper little miniature railway! Every passenger train carries a guard, who dispatches using flags. It's superbly run, but clearly the potential exists for incidents to occur. I wonder is such an operation able to be entirely self-policing?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it is 15 inch and above is RAIB. Below is covered by the Health and Safety Executive.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I've sometimes wondered is there a minimum 'criteria' (gauge, system length, speed etc) after which a railway comes under the scope of the rail authorities?

In terms of legislation the Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006 apply to infrastructure using parallel rails and flanged wheels of 350mm gauge and above, or which crosses a carriageway as defined by the Highways Act 1980 or the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984.

ROGS also specifically excludes fairground rides, guided busways and trolleybus systems, amongst others.

Dr Day

Not been there for a few years now, but the driver of the Cotswold Wildlife Park 'train' was a retired LUL tube train driver and operations manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.