• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minor difference in prices between Southern and LNER websites for the same tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmncf

I'm buying a standard class Super Off-Peak Day Return from West Ham to Southend Central for 2 adults and 2 children with a Family & Friends Railcard.
Southern website offers the tickets for £23.20; 2 adults at £9.00 each and 2 children at £2.60 each.
LNER website offers the tickets for £23.00; 2 adults at £8.95 each and 2 children at £2.55 each. Trainsplit also offers this £23.00 price.

The journey will be operated by c2c, so this isn't a case of a train operator discounting its own fares. Why am I seeing a difference in prices for the same tickets? I thought that the conditions for ticket retailers did not allow this scenario.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm buying a standard class Super Off-Peak Day Return from West Ham to Southend Central for 2 adults and 2 children with a Family & Friends Railcard.
Southern website offers the tickets for £23.20; 2 adults at £9.00 each and 2 children at £2.60 each.
LNER website offers the tickets for £23.00; 2 adults at £8.95 each and 2 children at £2.55 each. Trainsplit also offers this £23.00 price.

The journey will be operated by c2c, so this isn't a case of a train operator discounting its own fares. Why am I seeing a difference in prices for the same tickets? I thought that the conditions for ticket retailers did not allow this scenario.
It’s probably just to do with whether they round the railcard discount percentage to 10p or 5p minimum steps. I think it got mentioned recently that different issuing systems calculated rounding differently...

Wolfie

Established Member

This sparked my interest, not least as l'm about to travel on the same line.

The National Rail website also gives the £23.00 fare. Interestingly the C2C website quotes £29.10 for travel today for the ticket type that you quote. Go figure....

pelli

Interestingly the C2C website quotes £29.10 for travel today for the ticket type that you quote. Go figure....

I also got £29.10 but then I realised that when you select "Family & Friends Railcard" you also have to input how many people are on it below. The default is 1 Adult and 1 Child, so for the £29.10 if you click "fare breakdown" you see that you're being offered

Family & Friends Railcard adult £8.95
No Railcard adult £13.60
Family & Friends Railcard child £2.55
Kids Flat Fare child £4.00

Total:£29.10

Going back and inputting 2 Adults and 2 Children on the F&F Railcard yields £23.00 as expected.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This sparked my interest, not least as l'm about to travel on the same line.

The National Rail website also gives the £23.00 fare. Interestingly the C2C website quotes £29.10 for travel today for the ticket type that you quote. Go figure....

NRE and LNER get the fares from the same source, so the same answer would be expected.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I think the issue is that as various sites go through periodic re-accreditation, RDG is enforcing the new rounding rules which make certain fares 5p cheaper in the customer's favour (I'm presuming here that the Southern site hasn't been re-accredited for a while). I decided recently to change the BR Fares site to also use the new rounding rules, as my feeling was a critical mass of other systems were now also using them and it keeps everything as consistent as possible.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I think the issue is that as various sites go through periodic re-accreditation, RDG is enforcing the new rounding rules which make certain fares 5p cheaper in the customer's favour (I'm presuming here that the Southern site hasn't been re-accredited for a while). I decided recently to change the BR Fares site to also use the new rounding rules, as my feeling was a critical mass of other systems were now also using them and it keeps everything as consistent as possible.
Problems come when you have several systems from different suppliers and they are all at different stages of thier accreditation cycle. With four accredited retail system to keep in line and try and get them all to give the same answer isn't as simple as some may think.

Status
Not open for further replies.