• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mis-formed DB ICE T unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
Earlier this week, I had a journey on an ICE T unit which didn't seem to have a particular set number. The unit formation can be seen in the image below. Does anyone know what's going on? Is there a set number I can use for my records? Thanks
Screenshot_20230117-115222.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
Looks like 1180 according to the SpotLog app, but with some carriages swapped.

It looks like 411 080 "Darmstadt", or did I get the question wrong?
Thanks. I'm mainly asking because the intermediate coaches seem to be completely random (based in my limited understanding of German coach numbering), unlike most of the other ICE units I travelled on.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks. I'm mainly asking because the intermediate coaches seem to be completely random (based in my limited understanding of German coach numbering), unlike most of the other ICE units I travelled on.
Just checked my fleet book; it's mostly the correct formation for 411 080 but with two carriages from other units - one from 411 007 and one from 411 081.

Are any of these three sets the ones which have been damaged recently...?

XAM2175

Established Member
Looks like 1180 according to the SpotLog app, but with some carriages swapped.
It looks like 411 080 "Darmstadt", or did I get the question wrong?
Are any of these three sets the ones which have been damaged recently...?
Yes, it's 411 080, although the unit as a whole is more-commonly referred to as "Tz 1180"

The odd sequence of vehicles is due to a reconfiguration undertaken in 2006: units 1180 to 1184 were originally built as five-car Br 415 units for Swiss services, numbered 1580 to 1584. When there came a need for more capacity on Swiss services, there were some technical reasons that meant that those units couldn't simply be extended to seven cars, so instead there was some jiggery-pokery by which the driving cars of the Swiss-cleared units were swapped with the driving cars of seven-car domestic units 1120 to 1124. Thus unit 1180 has driving cars numbered x80 but intermediate cars numbered x20, unit 1181 has driving cars x81 and intermediate cars x21, and so on. Then there was some extra jiggery-pokery by which the 720 and 820 cars happened to get swapped into other units, which could indeed be a result of damage (but I can't say for sure). Apparently 720 and 707 were a direct swap, while 820 went to unit 1109 and 809 went to 1181 in order for 821 to end up in 1180.

On Moderation
Yes, it's 411 080, although the unit as a whole is more-commonly referred to as "Tz 1180"

The odd sequence of vehicles is due to a reconfiguration undertaken in 2006: units 1180 to 1184 were originally built as five-car Br 415 units for Swiss services, numbered 1580 to 1584. When there came a need for more capacity on Swiss services, there were some technical reasons that meant that those units couldn't simply be extended to seven cars,
The driving cars (fortunately) included all the equipment needed for running into Switzerland - primarily pantographs and cab equipment (ZUB signalling kit etc) - so the simplest way was to swap the end vehicles over, rather than retro-fitting the driving cars of the 7-car sets.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Many of the 411s are now misformed. You need to check all vehicles now. Also some 403s, I believe, are starting to become misformed. Always worth checking power cars on 401/402 sets as these can also get swapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.