• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Misleading special offers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakey1152

Hi all,
Thought you might be interested in this.
recently South Eastern trains had a "special offer" on their web site where you were able to purchase a range of tickets including off peak day returns at a 20% discount if booked online using their website and tickets picked up at the ticket machine.

I attempted to take advantage of this special offer and purchase an off peak return from Slade Green to Dartford - normal fare £2.60 - Discounted fare £2.10.

However, I was caught out as South-eastern's web site has a minimum purchase requirement of £5...something which was strangely missing from the full terms and conditions on the web site.
So I ended up having to go to the station and pay £2.60 and this annoyed me a bit as I felt that SE had made it so that the discount was effectively only available for longer journeys or if you had more than 1 person travelling!

When I got home I contacted SE Customer services to complain and request back the 50p that I believe I had now been overcharged only to be told on the phone that "50p is a bit petty Sir - There is therefore no need to refund you as you didn't take advantage of our offer"

This made me even more angry and I then went in and put a complaint in regarding the advertisement to the ASA.

I got a response back from the ASA as follows :-

Your complaint about London & South Eastern Railway Ltd. Ref: A11-168772

We have assessed the ad and your complaint and we considered that you have made a valid point. We considered that the ad was likely to mislead as it did not make clear that there was a minimum spend when purchasing train tickets on the website. As this appeared to be a relatively clear breach, instead of initiating a formal investigation and with a view to acting quickly, we informed the advertiser of the complaint and they have assured us that the ad will no longer appear in its current form. They have also agreed to ensure that similar issues do not arise in their future similar marketing communication. We have also received a written assurance from them to that effect.

We consider that the issue is now resolved and we will be closing our file. However, basic information including the advertisers’ name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk on 5 October 2011.

Just to let you know that the advertiser has informed me that they would like to apologise for any inconvenience and would be willing to refund the difference of the purchase of your ticket. I would therefore be grateful if you could let me know if you are happy for me to give the advertiser your details if you would like to take advantage of this offer. I’d be grateful if you could let me know by Monday 26 September.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

So I felt it was a win for me...although...its been two weeks and I'm still waiting for my 50p refund.....

Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
I doubt you will get your 50p back to be honest. You chose to buy the ticket at full price! Refunds are subject to a £10 admin charge. You didn't take advantage of the offer...

Just think the amount of a ruined promotion to SouthEastern is probably in the hundreds of thousands, so that some good news for you.

I'd move on....

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
When I got home I contacted SE Customer services to complain and request back the 50p that I believe I had now been overcharged only to be told on the phone that "50p is a bit petty Sir - There is therefore no need to refund you as you didn't take advantage of our offer"

This is a shocking thing to say. A complaint could have been generated on that basis alone.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I doubt you will get your 50p back to be honest. You chose to buy the ticket at full price! Refunds are subject to a £10 admin charge. You didn't take advantage of the offer...

Just think the amount of a ruined promotion to SouthEastern is probably in the hundreds of thousands, so that some good news for you.

I'd move on....

*sigh*

SET has told the ASA that they will refund the 50p. This is not a refund for an unused ticket which is the sort that would be subject to a £10 admin fee. If you don't get it I'd just go back to the ASA.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is an interesting example of poor customer service, where the TOC made the situation worse for themselves by not co-operating and apologising to the customer.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know, it's not surprising behaviour for SET, and it's good to hear that they got a slap on the wrist for this. People need to take things further more often, some TOCs get away with far too much. I would continue to pursue SET over the principle of the matter.

Yes, 50p isn't much, but misleading customers and displaying an appauling attitude is not acceptable. Also TOCs have been known to prosecute people over 10p (Northern), and charge a Penalty Fare over 0p (London Midland), so SET got off lightly in comparison!

(Perhaps you could send them a letter in the style of their debt collection letters to recover the 50p? ;) And perhaps add a £10 admin fee)

Wolfie

Established Member

I'd move on....

Fine....and if that is the attitude my response next time I had a complaint would be to go to Trading Standards and push them to prosecute the TOC....

Isn't amazing how the passenger has to comply by every petty little (often unpublished) rule yet they are petty if they ask a company to comply with the law?

I am increasingly taking the view that I will pursue EVERY penny! If it costs them thousands well, great, they will get it right next time!!!

ji459

I was caught out by their minimum purchase requirement during the promotion too. Well done for taking it up with the ASA.

oversteer

Agreed, good on you for complaining about it. The principle is worth far more than 50p. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.