• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Misled by revenue officer about ticket irregularity report

Jan347nuj

I was in a massive rush at Lancaster train station to get to Kendal to see my mentally and physically ill mother who had called me in heavy distress. I was very stressed and because there were no ticket barriers and I hadn't been on a train in a long time (my car is currently getting fixed) I forgot that you are no longer allowed to buy a ticket on board. I rushed into the station thinking I was about to miss my train, but there was a 4 minute delay.
I was worried that if I did the 2 minute walk back to the entrance, bought a ticket then walked back, i'd still miss my train, and because I was stressed about my mother I wasnt prepared to wait another hour. I thought i remembered a machine being on my side of the station but I couldnt find one. Then my train arrived and I impulsively boarded it.
The officer boarded next to me and I made no attempt to evade him because I forgot that I was committing an offense. He asked for my ticket and I asked to buy one. He said I'd have to pay a £50 fine, and I reacted too emotionally (in distress, not aggression) saying I couldnt afford that until payday and that I was travelling to see my mother who was really ill.
He seemed to be sympathetic and gave me a Ticket Irregularity Report saying that i'd recieve a letter to reply to and send an appeal. I thanked him but asked 'won't there be additional admin stuff to contend with' and he said 'no youll just have to pay the outstanding train fee'.
After I completed my journey I looked at the report and it said 'may decide to prosecute' so I looked it up and yes, there will be at least a £100 settlement fee.
I rang up Transpennine express to seek advice because I just wanted to pay my £50 fine plus the ticket by the end of the week upon payday. They said to email the revenue protection office to get ahead of them before they begin the admin. However my email explaining the situation came across in hindsight as too sob story esque and not apologetic enough.
Im very disappointed the revenue officer gave me poor advice. Perhaps due to my emotional response he wanted to diffuse the situation as quickly as possible, but if he had explained the alternative I'd have accepted the fine and paid it before 21 days.

I am worried that by sending a poorly written email without recieving a letter yet, I have increased my admin fee/settlement. I have no prior convictions...this was a genuine mistake. Is anyone able to calm my nerves a bit or tell me what to expect?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
I was in a massive rush at Lancaster train station to get to Kendal to see my mentally and physically ill mother who had called me in heavy distress. I was very stressed and because there were no ticket barriers and I hadn't been on a train in a long time (my car is currently getting fixed) I forgot that you are no longer allowed to buy a ticket on board. I rushed into the station thinking I was about to miss my train, but there was a 4 minute delay.
I was worried that if I did the 2 minute walk back to the entrance, bought a ticket then walked back, i'd still miss my train, and because I was stressed about my mother I wasnt prepared to wait another hour. I thought i remembered a machine being on my side of the station but I couldnt find one. Then my train arrived and I impulsively boarded it.
The officer boarded next to me and I made no attempt to evade him because I forgot that I was committing an offense. He asked for my ticket and I asked to buy one. He said I'd have to pay a £50 fine, and I reacted too emotionally (in distress, not aggression) saying I couldnt afford that until payday and that I was travelling to see my mother who was really ill.
He seemed to be sympathetic and gave me a Ticket Irregularity Report saying that i'd recieve a letter to reply to and send an appeal. I thanked him but asked 'won't there be additional admin stuff to contend with' and he said 'no youll just have to pay the outstanding train fee'.
After I completed my journey I looked at the report and it said 'may decide to prosecute' so I looked it up and yes, there will be at least a £100 settlement fee.
I rang up Transpennine express to seek advice because I just wanted to pay my £50 fine plus the ticket by the end of the week upon payday. They said to email the revenue protection office to get ahead of them before they begin the admin. However my email explaining the situation came across in hindsight as too sob story esque and not apologetic enough.
Im very disappointed the revenue officer gave me poor advice. Perhaps due to my emotional response he wanted to diffuse the situation as quickly as possible, but if he had explained the alternative I'd have accepted the fine and paid it before 21 days.

I am worried that by sending a poorly written email without recieving a letter yet, I have increased my admin fee/settlement. I have no prior convictions...this was a genuine mistake. Is anyone able to calm my nerves a bit or tell me what to expect?
Sadly you would have been much better paying or accepting (you don’t have to pay then and there) the Penalty Fare that I assume you were 1st offered.

But you will now have to wait till they write to you but head here to get advice on how to reply to that.

I fear you are going to get one of their standard ‘you were travelling without a ticket and we are thinking of prosecuting you but if there is anything you want to tell us in mitigation please respond in 7 days’ letters.

I doubt what you will have sent them by email will really increase their admin fee more than what the usually charge. But that is more than a penalty fare.

Sorry not to have better news for you at what is obviously a difficult time.

Last edited:

Jan347nuj

Sadly you would have been much better paying or accepting (you don’t have to pay then and there) the Penalty Fare that I assume you were 1st offered.

But you will now have to wait till they write to you but head here to get advice on how to reply to that.
I would have accepted it if he had told me I didn't have to pay then or there. I panicked.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I would have accepted it if he had told me I didn't have to pay then or there. I panicked.
Yes this is the problem. Forum regulars tend to suggest it’s an understandable staff tactic to diffuse face to face problems but it’s ultimately not good from the passenger without valid tickets position.

I think it is potentially possible they might just charge you the fare owed but I suspect that is a long shot to be honest.

But do head back here when you hear from them, as at the moment best thing to do is focus on helping your mum which is obviously very important to both of you and for which best wishes.

Last edited:

Jan347nuj

I fear you are going to get one of their standard ‘you were travelling without a ticket and we are thinking of prosecuting you but if there is anything you want to tell us in mitigation please respond in 7 days’ letters.

I doubt what you will have sent them by email will really increase their admin fee more than what the usually charge. But that is more than a penalty fare.

Sorry not to have better news for you at what is obviously a difficult time.

Am I at chance of being prosecuted even if I offer to pay a settlement fee and apologise?

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member

Jesus christ am I at chance of being prosecuted even if I offer to pay a settlement fee and apologise???
A remote chance yes. But in reality if you engage with them. I.e reply to their letter with advice from here / along those lines you suggest then I think very unlikely.

Which railway company are you dealing with? Northern?

Jan347nuj

A remote chance yes. But in reality if you engage with them. I.e reply to their letter with advice from here / along those lines you suggest then I think very unlikely.

Which railway company are you dealing with? Northern?
Thanks for the replies, I will seek further advice upon recieving the letter. It is Transpennine Express.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I will seek further advice upon recieving the letter. It is Transpennine Express.
Sorry - I forgot earlier you mentioned Transpennine (TPE). You can have a browse on the forum using the search facility to look for other cases involving TPE to see if that gives any ideas as to their general approach.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
TPE will write to you saying they have received a report and asking for your version of events before deciding how to proceed. When the letter comes post a copy of it in this thread (with personal details redacted) along with your proposed reply and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

TPE will probably offer you an out of court settlement as long as you co-operate with them.