• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missed last connection with Split Tickets (Priv/Oyster/Staff pass) during disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi all,

My wife is currently on her way back from Leeds. The train is expected to arrive at Kings Cross at 23:59 (scheduled arrival 23:09).

The tube then takes around 15 minutes to Liverpool Street (contactless card).

Then she will use her staff pass on the 00:16.

This is looking very tight, and I'm not sure she will make it thinking about the walking time at Kings Cross and Liverpool Street.

If she misses the last connection from Liverpool Street is she entitled to a taxi?
If yes, who should she ask for this? Kings Cross LNER staff? Or try and make it to Liverpool Street?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miklcct

On Moderation
Hi all,

My wife is currently on her way back from Leeds. The train is expected to arrive at Kings Cross at 23:59 (scheduled arrival 23:09).

This is looking very tight, and I'm not sure she will make it thinking about the walking time at Kings Cross and Liverpool Street.

If she misses the last connection from Liverpool Street is she entitled to a taxi?
If yes, who should she ask for this? Kings Cross LNER staff? Or try and make it to Liverpool Street?
The tube takes 8 minutes from Kings Cross to Liverpool Street on the schedule so she should be able to make it if there is no further delay.

gray1404

Established Member
I'd advice her to speak to the train manager on board the service she is on now and ask the train manager to have control authorise a taxi.

miklcct

On Moderation
I'd advice her to speak to the train manager on board the service she is on now and ask the train manager to have control authorise a taxi.
I would advise her to wait until the train arrives Kings Cross first, as she is likely to make the connection. The estimated arrival now is 23:43 which is more than enough time to make the connection.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi all,

If she has a ticket or pass of some sort for her entire journey (i.e. not just 'blagging a ride') then yes, she is entitled to alternative transport as would be the case for any other passenger.

D6130

Established Member
Current ETA at KGX is 23 50, so she may be OK. However, if her priv ticket is only to KGX, then would she still be officially entitled to onward transport? May be worth finding out from the Train Manager whether there are other passengers with through tickets who are heading in the same direction, so that a shared taxi may be possible. (This based on my own experiences of arriving in Leeds hours late after being delayed by fatalities on more than one occasion....and being slotted into taxis shared with other passengers.)

Future

She should be able to make it anyhow, the expected arrival is now 2350, from my experience, it’s around 5 minutes off a train and onto the Underground at KGX if you are in a hurry then a 7-8min journey to LST. I (think) the connection from Underground to National Rail is fairly swift at LST

Future

Also getting off in the correct part of the train. I assume the front.
Allox for that service is a pair of 801/1s so it would depend on which unit you are in (edit: with the sets turned so coaches are ‘E, D, C, B, A then M, K, H, G, F’!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also getting off in the correct part of the train. I assume the front.
Yep; very front.
Go through the station exit and immediately turn right down the Underground entrace (don't cross the square)
Once downstairs, turn left then left again (towards deep level lines) through the barriers
Then immediately right towards the Met and head for Eastbound platform.

At Liverpool St, not sure of best coach to exit (will vary depending on line) but possibly middle/rear-ish?

Allox for that service is a pair of 801/1s so it would depend on which unit you are in (edit: with the sets turned so coaches are ‘E, D, C, B, A then M, K, H, G, F’!)
I'd be switching to the front set at the penultimate stop if I wasn't already there.

D6130

Established Member
Allox for that service is a pair of 801/1s so it would depend on which unit you are in
Yes....if your wife is in the rear unit, advise her to walk as far forward as she can before the train reaches Peterborough and hop out there into the front unit, walking as far forward as possible before reaching KGX.

Future

I'd be switching to the front set at the penultimate stop if I wasn't already there
Good idea, there’s still Peterborough and Stevenage to go before London so the OP should be able to notify his wife

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
@yorkie gives some excellent advice on how to reach to the Met/Circle/H&C lines at Kings Cross.

Aim for the 4th or 5th car of the underground train for a speedy exit at Liverpool Street.

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. She will make her way to the front unit at the next stop.

The train manager said that if she runs at Kings Cross and Liverpool Street then she should make it... I wonder if the same would have been said to an elderly or disabled passenger... Or even to a passenger who didn't have "local knowledge" to be at the front of the train. Her seat reservation was in the middle of the rear unit.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. She will make her way to the front unit at the next stop.

The train manager said that if she runs at Kings Cross and Liverpool Street then she should make it... I wonder if the same would have been said to an elderly or disabled passenger... Or even to a passenger who didn't have "local knowledge" to be at the front of the train. Her seat reservation was in the middle of the rear unit.
That is really unprofessional advice from the train manager. The fact they are saying for customer that they should make it if they run means there is not actually enough time to officially make the connection so they should be engaging alternative transport at that point.

Established Member
The estimated arrival now is 23:43 which is more than enough time to make the connection.
I hope so... Although the ETA has now slipped by ten minutes to 23:53
If she has a ticket or pass of some sort for her entire journey (i.e. not just 'blagging a ride') then yes, she is entitled to alternative transport as would be the case for any other passenger.
Priv PDF ticket from the online website from elsewhere to Leeds and then booked on this service from Leeds to Kings Cross

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I know the situation is live now, but at King’s Cross she has *no onward ticket* and no entitlement to taxi or accommodation.

In the future, to guarantee her rights, advise her to purchase her ticket to Zone1 London so the tickets make a through journey and she has a contract to get her to her destination.

Established Member
I know the situation is live now, but at King’s Cross she has *no onward ticket* and no entitlement to taxi or accommodation.

In the future, to guarantee her rights, advise her to purchase her ticket to Zone1 London so the tickets make a through journey and she has a contract to get her to her destination.
At risk of being side tracked, could she have got a ticket starting in the same way (so just using staff pass + Priv ticket)?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
At risk of being side tracked, could she have got a ticket starting in the same way (so just using staff pass + Priv ticket)?
Yes, +Z1 is available on Priv. Hopefully nobody argues the toss about it tonight but in future it’ll bulletproof the connection rights.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If she is a 'new entrant' tickets to Zone U1 are not permitted. Instead she would need a ticket to a National Rail station, such as Bethnal Green or Stratford so as to include a cross-London transfer.

Sleepy

Established Member

Depending on staff travel status she may not be permitted to include Priv rate travel on LU sadly.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If she is a 'new entrant' tickets to Zone U1 are not permitted. Instead she would need a ticket to a National Rail station, such as Bethnal Green or Stratford so as to include a cross-London transfer.
Yes my mistake - thanks for the correction. Same principle, but yes, correct, needs to be a named NR station.

Established Member
Depending on staff travel status she may not be permitted to include Priv rate travel on LU sadly.
Yep, New Entrant.

Thanks for the advice, however in this case would they say "we will get you a taxi to Stratford"?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The 00:16 from LST (train to Shoeburyness) is booked from Platform 15

Sleepy

Established Member
Yep, New Entrant.

Thanks for the advice, however in this case would they say "we will get you a taxi to Stratford"?
Don't see why - the journey is from A to D whether your tickets/pass happen to be via B and / or C is irrelevant for delays to get you to destination at end of days service. Also someone travelling on Safeguarded boxes should still be provided taxi etc. as needed to finish their journey.

Last edited:

Established Member
23:55 arrival at Kings Cross
00:02 Hammersmith and city line
00:10 at Liv St
00:16 c2c from platform 15

Close but could make it, what's the procedure if she gets stuck at Liv St? Taxi and claim back from LNER?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In the first instance speak to staff at Liverpool Street and ask them to arrange a taxi. Only pay yourself and attemopt to claim back as a last resort.

Hopefully it's theoretical as it should be possible to make the connection.

Established Member
Hopefully it's theoretical as it should be possible to make the connection.
I sure hope so.

Shocking customer service from LNER tonight. I don't know if the LNER staff knew she was using a priv or not, and I don't know if that knowledge had changed the situation if that makes it better or worse.

gray1404

Established Member
I sure hope so.

Shocking customer service from LNER tonight. I don't know if the LNER staff knew she was using a priv or not, and I don't know if that knowledge had changed the situation if that makes it better or worse.
I complaint is certainly in order. This is not how they should be treating passengers on the last train of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.