• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Misuse of freedom pass

ions221

Hi, I wanted to get help from this forum as I assist my aunt in a recent predicament. She was caught with a freedom pass recently not belonging to her. TFL has sent the standard letter asking to comment on the offence for which they have not highlighted.
It would be helpful if I could get some feedback on what I’ve helped write. I hope you can still be kind in your comments as she is going through a lot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pushpit

It's a very sad state of affairs, and though I can't support what she did, it would take a heart of stone not to be moved by the circumstances. It comes across as heartfelt, and though it is perhaps a little long nevertheless at least to me, in its current state, it had the impact of making me feel very sorry for your aunt's position. Personally, therefore, I would be inclined to send it as it is, since it did the job.

Realistically - and I wish this was otherwise - TfL takes a particularly severe line on cases like this, particularly fraudulent use of Freedom Passes. So unfortunately you probably will need to get over the bad news that TfL is likely to prosecute, and quite likely to want an in-person court appearance. Now clearly you need to try to avoid that, and your letter does this. If there is a court appearance then it is possible that the Court will be moved to keep the sentence at the lowest end of the scale, she won't go to prison, her children are not at threat of removal, it's just a fine. However the Court will sentence according to a criteria and there really isn't any getting around this.

Some London Councils provide help to carers, such as the Taxicard scheme. Though a Freedom Pass cannot be used by carers, it can be the gateway to the council's arrangements.

ions221

It's a very sad state of affairs, and though I can't support what she did, it would take a heart of stone not to be moved by the circumstances. It comes across as heartfelt, and though it is perhaps a little long nevertheless at least to me, in its current state, it had the impact of making me feel very sorry for your aunt's position. Personally, therefore, I would be inclined to send it as it is, since it did the job.

Realistically - and I wish this was otherwise - TfL takes a particularly severe line on cases like this, particularly fraudulent use of Freedom Passes. So unfortunately you probably will need to get over the bad news that TfL is likely to prosecute, and quite likely to want an in-person court appearance. Now clearly you need to try to avoid that, and your letter does this. If there is a court appearance then it is possible that the Court will be moved to keep the sentence at the lowest end of the scale, she won't go to prison, her children are not at threat of removal, it's just a fine. However the Court will sentence according to a criteria and there really isn't any getting around this.

Some London Councils provide help to carers, such as the Taxicard scheme. Though a Freedom Pass cannot be used by carers, it can be the gateway to the council's arrangements.
Reading some other cases, I can see why you would say that. It is unfortunate and she regrets it but I guess we will have to see what is done from here. Thank you for your comment, I will try to slightly cut down on any waffle without taking away from the essence of the response.

alholmes

My thoughts - maybe a bit too long and in some cases repetitive (maybe apologising too many times), but i agree with @Pushpit that you should keep the paragraph in that gives the context, because I think it is important in this case.

As you are aware TfL rarely settle out of court but there is no harm in asking - and if i were in TfL’s position then i think this is one of the few cases where a more leniant approach may be appropriate. Good luck.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
@Pushpit has given good advice so far. The standard way for TfL to deal with this sort of thing is to prosecute the offence in the magistrates' court. This is a serious matter, but as has been said, there is no threat of jail or any malicious consequences beyond a fine and having to pay the company's costs. TfL will audit the pass' use and will probably take the view that you would have to be exceptionally unlucky to be caught the first time you use the pass.

However, the letter you drafted appears to be AI generated. It's fine to use ChatGPT as a way of structuring the letter, but it scrapes idioms from American and Indian English as well as British English and the tells are obvious. You can cut a lot of the letter out; there is a lot of repetition and pleonasms - "governing bodies that provide these resources" and "this committed offence" are both very passive language for example, as well as being unnecessary to spell out.

ions221

My thoughts - maybe a bit too long and in some cases repetitive (maybe apologising too many times), but i agree with @Pushpit that you should keep the paragraph in that gives the context, because I think it is important in this case.

As you are aware TfL rarely settle out of court but there is no harm in asking - and if i were in TfL’s position then i think this is one of the few cases where a more leniant approach may be appropriate. Good luck.
I appreciate the constructive criticism. Thank you again

@Pushpit has given good advice so far. The standard way for TfL to deal with this sort of thing is to prosecute the offence in the magistrates' court. This is a serious matter, but as has been said, there is no threat of jail or any malicious consequences beyond a fine and having to pay the company's costs. TfL will audit the pass' use and will probably take the view that you would have to be exceptionally unlucky to be caught the first time you use the pass.

However, the letter you drafted appears to be AI generated. It's fine to use ChatGPT as a way of structuring the letter, but it scrapes idioms from American and Indian English as well as British English and the tells are obvious. You can cut a lot of the letter out; there is a lot of repetition and pleonasms - "governing bodies that provide these resources" and "this committed offence" are both very passive language for example, as well as being unnecessary to spell out.
Yes, parts were written with assistance of chatGPT, thank you for picking up on the irregularities in the text. I will definitely comb through this again.

How long is the cards use tracked back to just so I can inform her ?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I appreciate the constructive criticism. Thank you again

Yes, parts were written with assistance of chatGPT, thank you for picking up on the irregularities in the text. I will definitely comb through this again.
If you post the next draft as text on here, people will be able to quote it and suggest minor amends. The letter contains all the right things to say, it just needs thinning out a bit.

How long is the cards use tracked back to just so I can inform her ?
In theory they probably have years' worth of data, but I'm not sure how long they will bother in a case like this.

SteveM70

Established Member
One thing I would add is a phrase or short sentence in the context section making clear that she can provide evidence of the children’s’ health issues if required

Shyh Min

Hi, any updates to your case? How long does it take for TFL to reply to your statement after you respond to the initial letter? I'm asking as one of my family member is also in a similar situation.

Gloster

Established Member
Hi, any updates to your case? How long does it take for TFL to reply to your statement after you respond to the initial letter? I'm asking as one of my family member is also in a similar situation.

If you or a family member have a problem please start a new thread. No two problems are the same and having two in one thread can cause confusion.