• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk 3s with power doors - do they retain drop windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No the power doors have sealed windows.

sprinterguy

Established Member
There's one manual door with a droplight window retained at the buffet end of the first class vehicle on Scotrail sets, and one at the luggage space/guard's office end of the TGS on Crosscountry and GWR sets. Neither, as far as I am aware, are for passenger use.

robreed90001

There's one manual door with a droplight window retained at the buffet end of the first class vehicle on Scotrail sets, and one at the luggage space/guard's office end of the TGS on Crosscountry and GWR sets. Neither, as far as I am aware, are for passenger use.

1 manual door on Chilterns loco hauled sets as well (for crew use only) on the buffet car.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
if there was a drop window in a power door someone could lean out and suffer a severe injury if someone else operated the door control.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
if there was a drop window in a power door someone could lean out and suffer a severe injury if someone else operated the door control.

Despite this there are drop windows on Class 442s, though I suspect they are left locked these days. They weren't always, though they are a bit small to lean out of properly.

chuff chuff

On the scotrail set the non power door beside the buffet has only an egress handle and the droplight is locked out of use.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Despite this there are drop windows on Class 442s, though I suspect they are left locked these days. They weren't always, though they are a bit small to lean out of properly.
Plenty big enough to lean out of fatally however.

On Moderation
Plenty big enough to lean out of fatally however.
If you're referring to the incident at Balham, that involved the guard's window in the motor coach on the corridor side, not one of the vehicle-end vestibule windows, which I believe are kept locked (they're for emergency ventilation only AFAIAA).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Ah yes- I'd forgotten the specifics of that, and only went to read up after posting.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
All the British Mk3s with power doors lack opening droplights. However Irish Rail's Mk3s, which were built from new with electric plug-doors, had droplights in them which opened about halfway.

On Moderation
All the British Mk3s with power doors lack opening droplights. However Irish Rail's Mk3s, which were built from new with electric plug-doors, had droplights in them which opened about halfway.
That depends if you include Class 442 under Mark 3s.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That depends if you include Class 442 under Mark 3s.

Mk3-derived, though as BR designed the Mk3s for easy conversion to multiple units if necessary then I suppose the distinction is a bit blurred as to how Mk3 the 442s are.

I take your point though, I rather forgot about the 442s!

Flying Snail

Established Member
Mk3-derived, though as BR designed the Mk3s for easy conversion to multiple units if necessary then I suppose the distinction is a bit blurred as to how Mk3 the 442s are.

I take your point though, I rather forgot about the 442s!

The 442s are derived from the Irish Mk3 coach designs, not the Mk3 derived MU trailers. The passenger cars are very similar and the power car is based on the heavy Irish generator van, only the cab was a new design, the passenger doors/windows are practically identical. They are too small to lean out of, I don't know why they all ended up being locked.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 442s are derived from the Irish Mk3 coach designs, not the Mk3 derived MU trailers so they are very similar, the doors/windows are practically identical. They are too small to lean out of, I don't know why they all ended up being locked.

I know that BR knew the Mk3 design could take all the traction equipment in one vehicle because of the IÉ Mk3 Generator Vans taking a similar load but I wasn't aware the Wessex Electrics were based on the Irish Mk3s rather than British ones.

Monty

Established Member
windows are practically identical. They are too small to lean out of, I don't know why they all ended up being locked.

Same reason you keep you windows closed in your car with the AC on. Those windows are only really there for ventilation when the HVAC system fails.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The 442 trailers run on T3-type bogies I think. The British and Irish Mk3s run/ran on BT10s, except the DVTs which are on T4s.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 442 trailers run on T3-type bogies I think. The British and Irish Mk3s run/ran on BT10s, except the DVTs which are on T4s.

442s are T4 trailer and Mk6 for the powered bogies. Irish Rail Mk3s had/have BT22s.

Status
Not open for further replies.