• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk1 coach seat moquette reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
Weird question, but I'm sat in a Mk 1 right now (4994) that has a seat moquette of regularly spaced black squares on a bluey-grey background, with random black squares having red lines at the top. I'm curious as to when this moquette is from, etc. While I have found a few things on the internet, especially the Bluebell Railway's guide, they're all quite limited and none of them have this moquette. Does anyone know what this is and, more generally, if there is a good reference (online or otherwise) for identifying seat moquettes (preferably both pre and post privatisation)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
Yeah, sorry, wasn't in a good position to upload it. Here it is!

Attachments

• Message_1492849097148.jpg
    Message_1492849097148.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Holdsworth's was the name.

I can't say I've ever seen the design before.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The design does remind me of what some Mk2 stock had, particularly those on the Waterloo n- Exeter route, but I don't recall the red flashes on that and I am sure the squares were closer together and were dark blue - is it possible, therefore, that the carriage in question has a custom made moquette based loosely upon the one used by NSE?

However...

4994 was formerly a Network NorthWest vehicle before moving into the InterCity Charter Unit.

Could it be a moquette developed specially for one of those two operations? ( NNW was a rather short lived attempt to emulate Network SouthEast. )

Established Member
Yes - it is; that's the NSE Mk2 one.

Don't suppose you have the NNW one to show as well?
Sorry no, but I knew the other one you meant - I vaguely remembered it on routes out of Paddington in the 1990s - and put 'British Rail moquette' into Google, and there it was!

Muzer

Established Member
It's always possible it was something WCRC had made, of course. Each coach seemed to have a different moquette though so if that's the answer they aren't trying for consistency at least...

Where did you find the info about 4994 being used for Network NorthWest? I was curious myself but didn't know where to look to find out that info either.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I must admit, I'm always a bit disappointed whenever I see a vehicle fitted out in non-authentic moquette,

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like it, Alan Bennett could've written that line. :)

It's from my seminal work "A Cream Cracker under the IC70 seating unit" :lol:

Funnily enough, I have actually seen the great Alan Bennett walking across the concourse at Leeds station !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
if it ran in BR service with this motuette then it is authentic.

Indeed, although no one seems to have been able to positively identify the one mentioned by the OP.

I don't mind authentic moquettes turning up in unusual settings, e.g. Trojan in a Pendolino or Blue Blaze on a Northern 158 etc.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just a thought - has anyone actually tried asking the railway in question about those seats...?

Status
Not open for further replies.