• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Edvid

Established Member
Contrary to my previous assumptions it looks like much of the remaining installation work is already done - I've attached pictures of the setup near Braybrooke / Wigston substations.

From what I could tell on yesterday's travels there were some sealing ends on cross-track feeder masts and most of the Braybrooke neutral (Up Main) left to install, but the wire run connections are probably all in place. Even the Wigston neutrals are already there, which I previously considered a RS2 deliverable.

From the Spion Kop bridge you can see the RS1 OLE limit about 400 metres up the line (OHNS is 230 metres further up). Incidentally the Freightliner loco - spotted by chance - was operating under headcode 6M92.

I also had a look at the fast line OLE anchoring south of Bedford. As expected there are more anti-fall installations in place, but the retensioned Mk3b wire runs in Wixams (see post #7065) were still attached to one BWA at each end; it appears that OLE125 is not replicating the 15/12kN tensioning present in UKMS125.

Attachments

• Braybrooke GSP pylon.jpg
    Braybrooke GSP pylon.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Braybrooke neutral section (DM).jpg
    Braybrooke neutral section (DM).jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Cross-track feeder masts at Wigston (left for OLE, right for ATF).jpg
    Cross-track feeder masts at Wigston (left for OLE, right for ATF).jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Switching masts at Braybrooke ATFS.jpg
    Switching masts at Braybrooke ATFS.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Where Braybrooke neutral section (UM) will go.jpg
    Where Braybrooke neutral section (UM) will go.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Wigston MPATS ft. Poppy 66614.jpg
    Wigston MPATS ft. Poppy 66614.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Wigston MPATS.jpg
    Wigston MPATS.jpg
    955.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Wigston neutral section (UF).jpg
    Wigston neutral section (UF).jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Wigston neutral sections (U&DS, DF).jpg
    Wigston neutral sections (U&DS, DF).jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 115
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonmidland

Established Member
There's a real contrast between the heavy vegetation in the foreground and the cleared section where the OLE has been put up in the background, at Wigston. Are there any further vegetation works planned for this area, ready for future electrification?

londonmidland

Established Member
One would assume that will happen when scheme RS2a starts.
Hopefully that happens fairly soon. Would hate for it to be ‘paused’ for another few more years again. A steady rolling electrification project is the way forward and no doubt keeps costs down, whilst maintaining workers’ competency and jobs.

InTheEastMids

There's a real contrast between the heavy vegetation in the foreground and the cleared section where the OLE has been put up in the background, at Wigston. Are there any further vegetation works planned for this area, ready for future electrification?

From the Spion Kop bridge you can see the RS1 OLE limit about 400 metres up the line

A bit off topic but regarding vegetation - quite the contrast the two links below. The first is a photo from 1975 from an identical point of view. The second is the earliest Google Street View imagery from 2008.

Hopefully that happens fairly soon. Would hate for it to be ‘paused’ for another few more years again.
There are definitely things planned to happen north of Syston in the near future - e.g. Network Rail have applied to close the A6006 bridge at Sutton Bonington from November to July 2025 for reconstruction.

Edvid

Established Member
That could be the first piece of post-preliminary RS3 construction work to get started. Had a look at that bridge (labelled Rempstone Road, SPC5/OB:88) on Street View and am pleased to see it isn't one of those already adjusted pre-2017-descoping.

In the meantime, there are still a couple of ongoing RS1 bridge closures to road/pedestrian traffic:
* Wistow Road (SPC3/OB:9) until 26 July
* Glen Station (SPC3/OB:10) until 23 August [further extension from 29 July recently granted]

snowball

Established Member
Looking on one.network over the next 12 months, there's a planned overnight closure of Stanford Rd/Bowleys Bridge (SPC5/83, 113m 24ch), from 22:00 1/3/25 to 06:00 2/3/25.
That bridge appears from Streetview to have undergone some sort of rebuild between 2011 and 2017 - at minimum its brick parapets were replaced by modern concrete ones.

(link is to Streetview)

However a one-night closure is not a big event, possibly a routine inspection.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That could be the first piece of post-preliminary RS3 construction work to get started. Had a look at that bridge (labelled Rempstone Road, SPC5/OB:88) on Street View and am pleased to see it isn't one of those already adjusted pre-2017-descoping.

In the meantime, there are still a couple of ongoing RS1 bridge closures to road/pedestrian traffic:
* Wistow Road (SPC3/OB:9) until 26 July
* Glen Station (SPC3/OB:10) until 23 August [further extension from 29 July recently granted]
That's got to be one of the lowest parapets on a road over rail bridge anywhere!

Trainman40083

So, heading North, how far away would the next substation be? I know there was plans for one at Ambergate, but wondered if there was one serving the Nottingham leg.

Edvid

Established Member
Assuming you're asking about feeder stations in particular, the next one would be near Kegworth, per post #6875. There's a National Grid compound nearby (where soon-to-close Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station is), but I don't think it's clear whether the connection would start there or (as Braybrooke ATFS does) tee-off the transmission lines above.

snowball

Established Member
And there's to be another feeder station after that at Chesterfield.

Others may know where track sectioning cabins or autotransformer stations are proposed.

As far as I know, no physical work has been seen at any sites, nor any planning applications, but it has been mentioned upthread that the application for the grid connection at Kegworth was put in some time ago.

59CosG95

Established Member
And there's to be another feeder station after that at Chesterfield.

Others may know where track sectioning cabins or autotransformer stations are proposed.

As far as I know, no physical work has been seen at any sites, nor any planning applications, but it has been mentioned upthread that the application for the grid connection at Kegworth was put in some time ago.
I'd imagine there'd be an ATS or SATS in the Syston area, with overruns on the "triangle" towards Melton, either in whole or (more likely) in part.
An educated guess would probably place another ATS in or around Loughborough, and there'd definitely have to be SATSs at Trent, Derby and possibly Nottingham.

IIRC, Hasland would be the 4th and final grid connection, after Long Meadow Farm, Braybrooke & Kegworth.