• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML split ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Trying to find the cheapest combination between Boundary Zone 2 and Loughborough. I only want to use Anytime tickets. Not wasting time with AP as I've already got it down to roughly £20 return.
I hold a Zone 1-2 season and a Priv railcard, hence Anytime requirement. Also got an Annual Gold card and 16-25 railcard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I cannot check in full detail as I'm on Mobile, but have you looked at an East Midlands 3 In 7 Rover? When I had to do a daytrip to Derby last year, this combined with a SDR from London to Bedford was the cheapest combination with Priv.

Rover is £17.75 and only valid after 09.00. Is your Anytime requirement because you want to travel before 09.00 or is it solely based on Priv?

Cannot check fares so am not sure if this will beat your £20.

sonic2009

Established Member
BZ2 - LTN SDR £4.50
LTN - BDM SDR £3.50
BDM - MHR SDR £5.85
MHR - LBO SDR £3.35

total cost £17.35

I believe the xx30 Nottingham stops at both Luton Airport, Bedford and Market Harborough :)

RJ

Established Member
Thank you for the assistance. I forgot to state, I need it to be an open return. Outward on a Friday. Return either Sunday or Monday ~6am.

I cannot check in full detail as I'm on Mobile, but have you looked at an East Midlands 3 In 7 Rover? When I had to do a daytrip to Derby last year, this combined with a SDR from London to Bedford was the cheapest combination with Priv.

Rover is £17.75 and only valid after 09.00. Is your Anytime requirement because you want to travel before 09.00 or is it solely based on Priv?

Investigated this one. It will get me as far as Bedford, but there's no way of doing BDM - BZ2 for less than £5.

At the moment, I have;

Boundary Zone 2 - Luton Airport Parkway SOR - £5.75
Luton Airport Parkway - Market Harborough SOR - £10.65
Market Harborough - Loughborough SOR - £5.65

Total - £22.05.

This is more reasonable than the £34.90 a through ticket from London Terminals costs. Or the £31.90 for an Elstree - Loughborough via London ticket. And better value than the Advance tickets which start from £9.25 each way.

No doubt one of the experts will be able to shave a few £s off the £22.05!

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
I have been using this combination with no issues on train or at barriers. Did it today on a train with a first stop of Leicester and the guard told me that the train had to stop at the points of splitting. I *very* politely said "No, because I have a season ticket" and made a reference to condition 19(c). The guard said they'd never heard of that rule and would check it out later, before winking and saying "it makes it cheaper doesn't it?"

I'm sure the outcome would have been a little different had a "knowitall" attitude been displayed - wonder what type of person might have belittled the guard and forwardly come out with their "superior" knowledge in that very situation?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure the outcome would have been a little different had a "knowitall" attitude been displayed - wonder what type of person might have belittled the guard and forwardly come out with their "superior" knowledge in that very situation?

I do agree that it is usually better to remain calm and just point out the facts rather than making a big scene of it.

Only had it the other day when stopped at Nottingham barriers with a Long Eaton - Loughborough ticket and the barrier guy went, "It's not valid. Why did you not go direct?" and gestured to me the curve between Long Eaton and East Midlands Parkway. I just said to him, "It is actually valid because the routeing guide says so." and he held his hands up, "Oh, OK. That's new to me." and let me through.

RJ

Established Member

Tried this along with numerous Anytime ticket combinations. Comes out at around £27.15 which works out at less than £11 each way to London, plus an extra day roving around, which I have taken advantage of. The 08:25 ex St Pancras is fast to Leicester, scheduled to pass Bedford at 09:00 - does anyone reckon that the rover would not be valid on that train?

Not very impressed today however, a ticket office clerk at Sheffied refused to sell me an SOR between Bedford and Luton Airport Parkway. According to her, she could not sell the ticket because it was a short distance journey. She only offered to sell the single or day return :roll:.

First class

Established Member
Tried this along with numerous Anytime ticket combinations. Comes out at around £27.15 which works out at less than £11 each way to London, plus an extra day roving around, which I have taken advantage of. The 08:25 ex St Pancras is fast to Leicester, scheduled to pass Bedford at 09:00 - does anyone reckon that the rover would not be valid on that train?

Not very impressed today however, a ticket office clerk at Sheffied refused to sell me an SOR between Bedford and Luton Airport Parkway. According to her, she could not sell the ticket because it was a short distance journey. She only offered to sell the single or day return :roll:.

Would have just bought the day return and excessed it, and request a comments form...

PRIV Excess should be:
£4.00 - £3.40 = £0.60 XS

Although 2 x SDS equal the same price as the SOR... if you needed the 5 days outward obviously the excess would be the only solution if staff absolutely refused to do it...

Yew

Established Member
BZ2 - LTN SDR £4.50
LTN - BDM SDR £3.50
BDM - MHR SDR £5.85
MHR - LBO SDR £3.35

total cost £17.35

I believe the xx30 Nottingham stops at both Luton Airport, Bedford and Market Harborough :)

that would limit you to the Meridian stopper services, Personally I would pay the £3 for a HST

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
that would limit you to the Meridian stopper services, Personally I would pay the £3 for a HST

Would it though :?:, as one of the tickets (the Zone 1-2 travelcard, hence the BZ2 ticket) is a season and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

Heres the relevant wording of condition 19c:

19c NRCoC from From 5th October 2011 said:
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

RJ

Established Member
Had a minor bit of conflict with revenue staff regarding that rule, already taken it up with the people at the top who have confirmed that it is valid for the time being.

sheff1

Established Member

This is Sheffield - think yourself lucky that she offered to sell any ticket at all ;)

mallard

Established Member
Only had it the other day when stopped at Nottingham barriers with a Long Eaton - Loughborough ticket and the barrier guy went, "It's not valid. Why did you not go direct?" and gestured to me the curve between Long Eaton and East Midlands Parkway. I just said to him, "It is actually valid because the routeing guide says so." and he held his hands up, "Oh, OK. That's new to me." and let me through.

Are you sure it's valid? You double-back through Attenborough and Beeston (both part of Nottingham Group RP). I thought that was only allowed if you change trains at Nottingham, not to break journey there?

RJ

Established Member
This is Sheffield - think yourself lucky that she offered to sell any ticket at all ;)

Ticket office, been there done that. Some people who are stubborn by nature will refuse to budge from their original statement, even if it is wrong. Hence ar*ehole clerks who won't sell a ticket because it was their (incorrect) belief that it didn't exist. Oddly enough, the Anytime ticket is shown on National Rail at £16.00, so no doubt that she was talking out of her backside.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I thought that was only allowed if you change trains at Nottingham, not to break journey there?

Assuming the ticket allows break of journey, I don't see how anything in the routeing guide can change that. The routeing guide just tells you which route you may take; it doesn't override ticket restrictions.

If the ticket was only to Beeston however, you wouldn't be allowed to go via Nottingham. The origin and destination have to be outside the routeing guide group for the doubling back to be allowed.

mallard

Established Member
Assuming the ticket allows break of journey, I don't see how anything in the routeing guide can change that. The routeing guide just tells you which route you may take; it doesn't override ticket restrictions.

If the ticket was only to Beeston however, you wouldn't be allowed to go via Nottingham. The origin and destination have to be outside the routeing guide group for the doubling back to be allowed.

It's this phrase in the RG that I was referring to:

Journeys may not double back except between stations which are members of a routeing point group for interchange or unless an easement permits it
(emphasis mine)

I've always though this meant that you could only interchange if you're doubling back within a group, but it I see what you mean, it's not all that clear... I wonder what the super-secret-Manual says?

Sorry for derailing the thread a little...

John @ home

Established Member
I wonder what the super-secret-Manual says?
That's easy, nothing!

Being not quite so frivolous, it does not take long to read everything The Manual has to say on routeing.
The National Conditions of Carriage require precise definition of the routes that customers may use for a particular journey. These routes are known as "permitted routes". The National Routeing Guide enables users to determine whether the proposed journey is via a "permitted route".

To view the electronic version of the National Routeing Guide click here. (Redirects to the Rail Settlement Plan section of the external ATOC website).

Status
Not open for further replies.