• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modern day preservation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhilton

Perhaps someone out there can help. I've been wondering for a while, what is the most "recently" manufactured UK train class in private preservation?

Are there any classes that were built in the 1980s or 1990s in preservation today yet? I'm guessing there are none from the 2000s, but perhaps there are?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
At a guess I would say possibly 1985 prototype tube stock, Pacer prototypes, class 141 and the APT

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I believe the Coventry railway centre have the proto-type Networker driving car at the mo.

The Decapod

Assuming the query covers locomotives as well - several BR class 56 diesels have been saved for preservation and at least one Class 58

The Decapod

Pedants corner - the 56s were built in the 1970s

Super-pedants corner - the first 56's was built in 1976, the last one in 1984.

But then the last GWR Castle class was built by BR at Swindon in 1950, but that doesn't make it a 1950's design, so second thoughts I agree the Class 56 is not an 80's design.

ACE1888

All for modern preservation Me, too many people are for 'one era' only, if an individual or group are prepared to preserve/restore/maintain any loco/unit/coaches or wagons, best of luck to them I say. Even Pacers ;)

PFX

Not sure if it's really modern enough, but we have the BR built RB-3 railbus disaster at the D&CDR. That was made in '81.

MK Tom

Established Member
There's also the several mark 3 sleeping vehicles like the one at Midsomer Norton and the one at Loughborough Central. I imagine they were built over a range of years?

GM078

There's also the several mark 3 sleeping vehicles like the one at Midsomer Norton and the one at Loughborough Central. I imagine they were built over a range of years?

I believe a few preservation sites have these for volunteer accommodation purposes. The RPSI has a 1980 built one (10651) at Whitehead. Strictly speaking it's used as sleeping quarters for overnight visitors rather than part of it's preserved collection per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.