• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Monarch Cease Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
There's a piece in The Times today suggesting that Monarch may be about to collapse (again).

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/monarch-collapses-into-administration-3h82rfctm
An unprecedented repatriation operation is under way after Monarch Airlines collapsed into administration in the early hours of this morning, leaving more than 100,000 passengers stranded abroad.
Monarch, which carried 6 million passengers last year and employed 2,500 staff, is the biggest UK airline ever to cease trading. KPMG has been appointed administrator.
In a message to the airline’s staff, Andrew Swaffield, chief executive of Monarch, said that the “root cause” of the company’s failure was “the closure, due to terrorism, of Sharm El Sheikh and Tunisia and the decimation of Turkey”.
The collapse of Monarch is another failure for the secretive Knightsbridge financiers Marc and Nathaniel Meyohas, the brothers behind the private investment firm Greybull Capital, which invested in the troubled business…
Want

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
There's a piece in The Times today suggesting that Monarch may be about to collapse (again).

Hopefully not - flew with Monarch for the first time the other week and was impressed with them and found them very professional. Only improvement I'd make would be to remove the reclining function from seats (that's one thing I like about Ryanair!) but that's just a personal preference.

WestCoast

Established Member
It's being reported on Pprune that a fleet of Qatar Airways A320s are leaving Doha for Europe as we speak to rescue Monarch Airlines passengers, though no formal announcements have been made.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Didn’t that happen last year?

Last year I recall there were actually 747s on standby to retrieve holiday makers during their last crisis.

This year with Qatar planes - they are free at the moment since a lot of their gulf flights are grounded at the moment. They offered a similar service to BA during the strikes.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It's being reported on Pprune that a fleet of Qatar Airways A320s are leaving Doha for Europe as we speak to rescue Monarch Airlines passengers, though no formal announcements have been made.

Heading for LGW and BHX apparently.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Oh good, I have a flight with Monarch in November...

Aparently Norweigan, Easyjet and BA looking at buying up the planes and routes.

flymo

Established Member
Oh good, I have a flight with Monarch in November...

Looks like that is not going to be the case unfortunately. Farewell Monarch. :(

http://news.sky.com/story/flights-axed-as-monarch-goes-into-administration-11064101

Monarch Airlines has cancelled all of its flights from the UK after going into administration.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has chartered more than 30 aircraft to bring 110,000 Monarch customers back to the UK over the next fortnight, while around 300,000 future bookings have been cancelled.

Crawley Ben

http://news.sky.com/story/flights-axed-as-monarch-goes-into-administration-11064101

People are being told not to head to the airport today as no more flights are operating by Monarch. I'm heading to work at Gatwick at 10am this morning so be weird in a way not seeing Monarch anymore.

I very much hope that the people who are now out of a job due to this collapse, are able to find new employment within the aviation industry as soon as.

Cheers

Ben

atillathehunn

Established Member
People are being told not to head to the airport today as no more flights are operating by Monarch. I'm heading to work at Gatwick at 10am this morning so be weird in a way not seeing Monarch anymore.

I very much hope that the people who are now out of a job due to this collapse, are able to find new employment within the aviation industry as soon as.

Cheers

Ben

Not a surprise they've folded, though it's of course it's not nice for the staff now stuck in limbo.

The surprise will be who buys them. I have absolutely no doubt staff (excluding voluntary redundancy) will be employed very soon. The jackals are circling.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member

Nuts.

I've taken out an option on a TAP flight, not such good timings but gets me home at least, £10 for a 48 hour hold, lets see if anyone quickly moves in to buy up the routes - although I think they were saying on the radio that the Portugal routes are some of the problematic ones as least profitable.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Nuts.

I've taken out an option on a TAP flight, not such good timings but gets me home at least, £10 for a 48 hour hold, lets see if anyone quickly moves in to buy up the routes - although I think they were saying on the radio that the Portugal routes are some of the problematic ones as least profitable.

I doubt if many of their routes are profitable. There's too many other seats readily available on many European flights already.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I doubt if many of their routes are profitable. There's too many other seats readily available on many European flights already.

None of us have this data, but they've been in business for a long time.

However, what is profitable are their landing slots, aircraft and crew. There are several A320 operators looking for more landing slots and more planes.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Looks like for today rescue flights are running at the same time as the original flights and using the same flight number but the prefix has changed to the operator who is operating the rescue flight. Titan Airways, British Airways, Air Transat and Miami Air International* are among the operators operating the rescue flights.

* Which sounds strange but LL flight codes are listed and apparently that code belongs to Miami Air International.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
People are being told not to head to the airport today as no more flights are operating by Monarch.

As the administrators have ended operations immediately it sounds like they plan to close down the business and put the assets up for sale, rather than try to restructure the business to create a profitable business.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Simon Calder's analysis on Monarch:

How can a long-established airline suddenly collapse?

In its 50th year, Monarch has discovered it is tougher than ever to compete in the most ferocious air travel market in the world: short-haul flights between Britain and Europe.

“It’s reached the last-chance saloon,” says Paul Charles, former communications director for Virgin Atlantic and Eurostar. “It’s remarkable Monarch has lasted so long.”

When it was founded in 1968, Monarch was just what the nation needed: a low-cost airline that helped to power the rapid expansion of package holidays. Dozens of tour operators used its services, as well as the “in-house” Cosmos holiday firm.

Until the mid-1990s, Monarch thrived, thanks to good management, a high-quality product and expanding travel horizons. Just as easyJet was moving in down the road at Luton airport, Monarch launched a scheduled operation which served a range of Mediterranean destinations.

Yet in stark contrast to the easyJet no-frills model (rapidly mimicked by Ryanair), Monarch had an upmarket offering, with everything from free newspapers to four-course meals included in fares which were about twice as high as easyJet’s.

In common with the package-holiday companies, Monarch failed to recognise the threat posed by the low-cost revolution in the skies. As the 21st-century aviation landscape was transformed, Monarch’s key short-haul markets became extremely competitive – with “third-party charter” flying retrenching as easyJet, Ryanair and Jet2 expanded.

How did Monarch survive this long?

In 2014, the founders, the Mantegazza family, pumped in tens of millions to maintain Monarch as a going concern – then sold most of the airline to Greybull Capital, a private equity firm.

Because the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) still regarded Monarch’s finances as fragile, it insisted that all bookings – including seat-only sales – were covered by the Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (ATOL). Unlike other airlines, Monarch had to charge seat-only passengers £2.50 and issue an ATOL certificate.

Under the chief executive, Andrew Swaffield, the focus switched from an “all things to all men” approach to a firm focus on short-haul leisure scheduled flying.

What went wrong for Monarch?

Monarch had a run of bad luck. The airline was heavily committed to Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt, which was a lucrative winter destination. But in November 2015, the Foreign Office banned UK airlines from flying to the resort because of security fears about the airport.

During the first half of 2016, as the security situation in Turkey deteriorated, Monarch and its rivals shifted capacity west to Spain and Portugal – depressing fares in a key market.

The pound’s plunge in sterling after the EU referendum further dented the airline’s prospects.

“We take nearly all of our revenue in pounds and a lot of our costs go out in dollars and euros,” explained Mr Swaffield.

“We pay for aircraft leases and fuel in dollars and things like navigation and ground handling in euros. So we get no revenue benefit from a decline in the pound but we get a big cost increase.”

As the date for Monarch’s ATOL renewal in late September 2016, the CAA was so concerned about the airline’s financial condition that it set up a shadow airline in case Monarch folded.

The CAA chartered planes and deployed them to Mediterranean airports to mimic Monarch's schedule, in case the airline stopped flying. It spent over £25m on an exercise that proved unnecessary. Because just before the deadline extension expired, the majority owner, Greybull Capital, came up with a £165m financial package to keep the airline flying.

Why has Monarch suddenly ceased flying?

Initially, the huge injection of cash revived the airline. By December 2016, the CAA dropped the requirement for seat-only sales to be ATOL-protected. Monarch said at the time: “No other UK scheduled airline ATOL-protects flight-only bookings. After two years of being the exception, Monarch is now the norm.”

The carrier announced a switch to an all-Boeing fleet which would cut its costs and make it more competitive. Monarch’s boss, Andrew Swaffield, told The Independent: “We’ve re-based ourselves now to a world where we see lower prices but with higher volumes.”

The airline made much play of its customer service, saying: “We’re not just here to fly you from A to B – our aim is to make your journey as smooth as possible, from the second your flight is booked to the moment you arrive home.” And it ordered 45 brand-new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, with a list price of £5bn.

Bookings for summer 2017 initially looked promising, but as the peak months of July and August approached, the spree of high-yielding sales did not materialise. With Ryanair cutting August fares between Leeds Bradford and Ibiza to just £40 return, the market was savage. And new routes such as Manchester to Stockholm failed to grip the public imagination, with planes reportedly half-full even with fares at £30 each way.

What about other airline partners?

There has been plenty of talk about suitors such as easyJet, Norwegian and Wizz Air taking over some or all of the short-haul scheduled business. But there is a long tradition in aviation of rivals waiting like vultures until an airline collapses, then devouring the more appetising parts – such as good staff and slots at constrained airports.

Are any other airlines in trouble?

No other UK airline seems as exposed as Monarch. Whenever an airline collapses, the health of other carriers improves: there is less competition and fewer seats on offer, which spells higher fares and greater sustainability.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...asyjet-ryanair-jet2-competition-a7976986.html

stuartmoss

News here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934
Monarch Airlines has ceased trading and all its future flights and holidays have been cancelled, affecting hundreds of thousands of customers.
About 860,000 people have lost bookings and more than 30 planes will be sent by the Civil Aviation Authority to return 110,000 holidaymakers who are overseas.
Monarch employs about 2,100 people and reported a £291m loss last year.
Terror attacks in Tunisia and Egypt, increased competition, and the weak pound have been blamed for its demise.
What a bugger for a lot of people, particularly the employees.

I've lost 203 Euros worth of flights, had to re-book first thing this morning before everyone else did, cost me an extra £300. Could be a lot worse though.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I've lost 203 Euros worth of flights, had to re-book first thing this morning before everyone else did, cost me an extra £300. Could be a lot worse though.

If you paid using a credit card or Visa debit card you'll be able to get back any money that you paid to Monarch.

stuartmoss

If you paid using a credit card or Visa debit card you'll be able to get back any money that you paid to Monarch.

Oh really? Yes I paid on my Mastercard, do you know how I go about doing this? Information on the CAA web site is mostly concerned with package holiday customers.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Oh really? Yes I paid on my Mastercard, do you know how I go about doing this? Information on the CAA web site is mostly concerned with package holiday customers.

You'll be able to make a section 75 claim to your card provider, unless the administrators refund you (unlikely) or someone else buys the business and it starts trading again (again unlikely as trading has ceased.)

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...consumer-credit-act#making-a-section-75-claim

Darandio

Established Member

This should help Stuart.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...s-stops-trading---latest-info-and-your-rights

Martin Lewis, founder of MoneySavingExpert.com, said: "If you’re not covered by ATOL protection as your flight isn’t a package holiday, and your travel insurance won’t pay out as you don’t have the rare ‘travel abandonment’ cover; there are three further helpful protections to try.

"The first is Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1979. That says that if you pay for something – or even part-pay – on a credit card and it costs between £100 and £30,000, then the credit card company is jointly liable. In travel, it only works when you book direct, but that’s fine for those who paid Monarch on a credit card, as long as the cost is over £100. So get in touch with the credit card firm and ask to make a ‘Section 75’ claim (and use the name) for any costs not received. There are full templates for doing this on MoneySavingExpert.com.

"For all debit cards and credit cards you can use a less well-known protection called ‘chargeback’ (though with credit cards, if you paid over £100, Section 75 is better). With this, you ask your card provider to ask Monarch’s for your money back as you have not received the service. While it’s not a legal protection like Section 75, this is a core protection in Visa, Mastercard and American Express’ rules and it can swiftly help people get their money back. In fact, it was this route that we suggested in the Lowcostholidays issue, which got the most success."

richw

Veteran Member
It doesn’t come as a surprise. Monarch have been on the verge for several years. They restructured 1-2 years back to focus on cheap flights which gave them a brief stay of execution.
I have avoided them due to it being very well known they were on the edge. News reports go back 3-4 years that they were close to bankruptcy!

baz962

Established Member
I knew they were in bad shape I work at london luton airport (Monarch's head office is there) and I turned down a job there earlier this year but they were trying to get rid of hol side and keep just flight's. I have been on leave from my place and have not kept up with it all, but I know some of the staff and I am v well known to them I feel for them.

507 001

Established Member
It's a real shame that decent companies with a good reputation go to the wall whilst that Cowboy O'Leary is still ferrying people around Europe whilst showing them utter disdain in the process.

AM9

Veteran Member
It's a real shame that decent companies with a good reputation go to the wall whilst that Cowboy O'Leary is still ferrying people around Europe whilst showing them utter disdain in the process.

That's down to those who purchase flights based on price alone. It just encourages the race to the bottom.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

The HBO series Silicon Valley comes to mind. "Your business won't be successful unless you have an arsehole on the board."

Status
Not open for further replies.