• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Monopods, are they worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crompton Karl

Hello,

When i was out on Monday Photting, i found that my old Tripod was quite clumsy, i kept tripping over the feet. However, i use a DLSR and have some large telephoto lenses, so i pretty much have to use some form of rest to stop my arm from falling off. I was wondering if anyone had experience with monopods, are they stable enough to use with a telephoto lens etc, i was just wondering if any of you have experience of using one?

Karl :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
To Fred: Yes but do you have a SLR with a large lens?

no but my dad uses it and he has a slr with a large lens

All you have to do is get the camera out and screw it on the pod even comes with a strap to hold the camera firmly aswell my dad and I use it and we find it useful although my dad dosen't use it that much now he uses his hands but dose use it from time to time

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bipods are what you use to put rifle guns on a flat surface to point them up aren't they?

trains2

Hello,

When i was out on Monday Photting, i found that my old Tripod was quite clumsy, i kept tripping over the feet. However, i use a DLSR and have some large telephoto lenses, so i pretty much have to use some form of rest to stop my arm from falling off. I was wondering if anyone had experience with monopods, are they stable enough to use with a telephoto lens etc, i was just wondering if any of you have experience of using one?

Presumably you mean to use it in conjunction with a tripod? I.e. camera attached to tripod, lens attached to monopod via lens tripod mount. Although I don't currently use a setup like this I hear that this is the preferred method and seems to work well, as the monopod is just a stabliser holding the heavy lens up so it doesn't topple the camera over.

Crompton Karl

I was more thinking of attaching my telephoto lens to the monopod and holding the DSLR hub in my hands, i've seem some others do it but i've always been in the trains and never jumped off to ask.

Fred, your dad how does he set his up?

Established Member
I was more thinking of attaching my telephoto lens to the monopod and holding the DSLR hub in my hands, i've seem some others do it but i've always been in the trains and never jumped off to ask.

He hasn't used it for abit but what you do is there is a small screw thing under the camera where you somtimes can hold it , its a type of screw hole and then you can screw the cam on , I can't put my mind on the lence part but when the camera is on its easy to do just adjust the height put your hand in the strap and your off! and its quite steady

trains2

Hmm, so it's more for the use of something to take the weight so you don't have to, rather than necessary support in conjunction with a tripod for say night shots on a telephoto. I expect it would be just as fine as hand held - you're still going to have movement because it's not fixed though.

Snapper

Established Member
Yes, they are worth it, for a whole host of reasons.

I use two different ones. An old metal Velbon, and also one of the legs off my Uni-Loc tripod (which can be detached especially for the purpose).

They do give you greater stability when using long lenses, but they're also very good for slower shutter speeds with wider lenses too.They give you more chance to play with shutter speed or aperture

Many of my indoor shots like this http://paulbigland.fotopic.net/p40511490.html were taken with a wide-angle but using a monopod, thus not needing to use flash and getting a more natural effect (the beauty of the Velbon is its square shape - very handy for wedging against things).

They have another use too - they can give you height when you need it. Like this http://paulbigland.fotopic.net/p39238136.html

Crompton Karl

Paul,

As ever your advice is invaluable, i think my next purchase is going to be a monopod. :) All i have to do now is get the creative mind to take some shots of subjects away from my comfort zone of Trains and Ships, i do admire those shots of yours taken in rush hour of the hoards of people pushing through the ticket barriers. I have also got to get out of my habit of taking shots from the platform end and take a walk to other locations, however, only i can figure that out :)

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.