• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moorgate to Farringdon (parkour video)

ASharpe

This video apparently shows the fastest route between Moorgate and Farringdon. Believable enough to me but plenty of people calling it fake on X.

The video shows 4 people exit an Underground train at Moorgate and race the train parkour style through various streets, jumping ticket gates, climbing and descending lampposts, running through a coffee shop and through the Barbican Estate.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuu

Established Member
This video apparently shows the fastest route between Moorgate and Farringdon. Believable enough to me but plenty of people calling it fake on X.

The video shows 4 people exit an Underground train at Moorgate and race the train parkour style through various streets, jumping ticket gates, climbing and descending lampposts, running through a coffee shop and through the Barbican Estate.
It's a good 500m or more from Barbican to where they come out of the restaurant on Cowcross Street, roads to cross etc which are all missing. No chance that they caught the same train

Adoarable

This video is not new. I have seen it posted online several years ago -- and you'll notice this was filmed while the Elizabeth line was being constructed.

There are multiple hidden cuts. At 1:05 the 'lads' are scaling a wall on Moor Lane and immediately appear on a stairway that is certainly not at the top of that wall - check Google Maps. When they jump off that stairway at 1:09 they are suddenly at the other end of the Barbican estate, 380m away from Moor Lane. The third cut I noticed happens at 1:30 where they suddenly teleport about 70m north. Lastly at 2:10 they jump 290m from Aldersgate Lane to St John's Lane.

This isn't just a case of "we didn't quite make it in time so we cut it down to make it look like we did". They run a big loop back on themselves from 1:12 to 1:36, which they obviously wouldn't do if they were trying it for real.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
This has done the rounds a few times and is fake I’m afraid. The route is impossible and there are numerous jump cuts.

Enthusiast

Established Member
TfL state the distance from Moorgate to Barbican at 0.40 miles and the inter peak running time as 1.50 mins (this is 1m30 secs, not 1min 50 secs). The distance from Barbican to Farringdon is 0.32 miles with a running time of 1.51 mins.

The elapsed time from train to train on the clip is almost dead on three minutes. This means that even if the participants' run followed the (reasonably straight) route of the railway, they would have covered 0.72 miles in that time. This means they would have to be four minute milers (near enough).

Looking at it differently, using those running times and allowing one minute for the stop at Barbican, this means a train covered the 0.72 miles in 4 minutes 41 seconds (4.68 minutes). This gives the train an average speed of 9.2mph.

If the run between alighting from the train and joining it was straight and level with no impediments, a runner capable of a mile in about six minutes could make it. But clearly the route is not straight and level. And looking at a map, although there are some curves in the railway route (especially between Barbican and Farringdon) there is not a practical straighter alternative route above ground.

I have seen evidence of a similar feat performed between Earl's Court and West Brompton. However, this is a much shorter route (about a third of a mile) and the running route (via Warwick Road and Eardley Crescent) is almost identical (and in fact may be slightly shorter) to the route taken by the train. The participants may also have benefitted from the train being held briefly at Earl's Court. However I have no doubt that this claimed feat (Moorgate-Farringdon) is bogus.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
I seem to recall something similar being done on the southern part of the circle line or something but I can’t find it now

Ah here it is- Cannon St to Mansion House

londontransit

Covered the Storror video twice, once in October 2018 when the video was first published on Youtube and again recently when I found further inconsistencies in the video. Knowing the Barbican well that Parkour attempt stood out inconsistent wise when I first watched it back in 2018.

Parkour Vs the Tube

greyman42

Established Member
I seem to recall something similar being done on the southern part of the circle line or something but I can’t find it now

This one is genuine.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This has done the rounds a few times and is fake I’m afraid. The route is impossible and there are numerous jump cuts.

I have known people do something similar though (and would attempt it myself at some point) - if you do want to "race the train"* the best bit of the Tube to do it on is the central part of the District Line because there are so many stops and it's grindingly slow. That one is probably fake (just a parkour demo) but it is possible to actually do it if you pick the right section of the Tube and you're fast enough.

* Or enter the version that races the Talyllyn Railway which is far more fun!

Sorry, missed your post - but yes, that is the bit to do because it's so slow with stations about every 500m!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There's also the Fulham Dash between South Kensington and Fulham Broadway. Been run every 6th May for years. I don't think it was possible this year due to engineering works.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's probably cheating, but Barbican to Mansion House or Blackfriars should be fairly easy... or Farringdon to Blackfriars, which is literally down a long straight road...

rebmcr

Established Member
It's probably cheating, but Barbican to Mansion House or Blackfriars should be fairly easy... or Farringdon to Blackfriars, which is literally down a long straight road...
The cheatiest that involves both alighting and boarding the same train running the same service would, I think, be Paddington to Baker Street on a Circle via Victoria (or inverse), but it would seem sensible to specify that the station interval for both train and runner must be 1, and indeed the same 1 (to avoid quirks around odd reversing services like Mornington Crescent to Euston during an engineering blockade north of Camden).

greyman42

Established Member
You could try to do the Farringdon to Blackfriars on a Thameslink service.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Haha. I actually meant to try and beat the Thameslink service by running down Farringdon Road.
Hmmm... yes... that might be a good challenge.

I wonder if the changes would be better northbound given the distance from the barriers to the train at Blackfriars? You'd definitely want to try it from a 12 car though, not an 8 car, for the very reason of that distance.