• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More Gatwick Express Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There is a BBC News article (featuring a forum member named after a popular song of that year ;)) mentioning the withdrawal of the Mk2 stock, their replacement was the "Darth Vader" Class 460s, which have since become part of SWT's Class 458 fleet.

The latter subsequently replaced by 442s which, shock horror, were not actually designed for an "Airport Express".
Sam

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talltim

Established Member
Who said anything about 5 first class coaches?, the trolley service provided by Gatwick Express was for the entire train, try reading the post before making comments

But the thread is about catering provision in 1st

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Despite the claims that everything will be remaining the same, most things are now not the same as that video.

The SRA didn't want to have a dedicated Gatwick Airport service at all, and only relented under pressure from the airport management. It's taken them a few years, but I'd say DfT now have what they wanted all along.

rmt4ever

I have wrote to them and will report back. That video posted is interesting, "nothing will change" my eye. It's an embarrassment to the country, this train company. It wouldn't leave me with a good first impression as an arriving first time visitor to England.

rmt4ever

Still waiting to hear !! Is it normal for a company to take this long to write back to customers....

PauloDavesi

Sadly yes it is, good customer service, which includes replying to their paying customers in a reasonable time is a concept that hasn't reached many TOC operatives.

rmt4ever

Just got back from being away. Letter from them dated 7th March (re my letter to them sent in Feb) waiting upon my return .. they sent me £25 in rail vouchers...

Was quite surprised..

According to their letter, and I quote "Although the First Class area does include a seat refreshment service, on some occasions (due to circumstances beyond our control) this is unavailable. For this I can only apologise."

This is in contrary to what I have been told on here, that the company have withdrawn all catering ! For some reason, I think the GatEx have made the mistakes, not the good fellows on here.....

Confused.com, but welcome the rail vouchers..

sarahj

Established Member
The occasion being is when you have a Tardis and zap back in time to last June before the catering trollies were all removed and the staff sacked.

Tho' there might be a secret plan that when they get rid of us guards and everything is DOO, and we come back as some on board service thingummy, to have us serving teas and coffee. :-x

jon0844

Veteran Member
The occasion being is when you have a Tardis and zap back in time to last June before the catering trollies were all removed and the staff sacked.

Tho' there might be a secret plan that when they get rid of us guards and everything is DOO, and we come back as some on board service thingummy, to have us serving teas and coffee. :-x

Surely you can learn to time it to have tea brewing while dispatching trains? Thus no wasted time, and when people are drinking said tea you can move on to revenue duties.

sarahj

Established Member
Don't give them ideas. <(

TBH, I'm surprised they have not come up with an idea to put a drinks machine on the trains. There is a place it could go, tho' I'm not sure if its on the new 387's.

tsr

Established Member

TBH, I'm surprised they have not come up with an idea to put a drinks machine on the trains. There is a place it could go, tho' I'm not sure if its on the new 387's.

I think I know where it could go, too. However, it would be a bit cramped and you'd have people serving themselves a latte right by your seat... so much for peace and quiet. Having a vending machine and a Costa machine might actually work on some trains, but the cost of fitting all of them would probably be absolutely prohibitive. And yes, imagine if conductors had to use the things, or fix them if they went wrong.

On the 171s you still have a catering trolley bay, with a power supply and everything, although of course it was incredibly rare to ever have a trolley on those (indeed, pretty much unheard of). So equally you could have something on those. I don't think the standing passengers from Oxted on a single two-car would welcome that, somehow, though!

sarahj

Established Member
I think I know where it could go, too. However, it would be a bit cramped and you'd have people serving themselves a latte right by your seat... so much for peace and quiet. Having a vending machine and a Costa machine might actually work on some trains, but the cost of fitting all of them would probably be absolutely prohibitive. And yes, imagine if conductors had to use the things, or fix them if they went wrong.

On the 171s you still have a catering trolley bay, with a power supply and everything, although of course it was incredibly rare to ever have a trolley on those (indeed, pretty much unheard of). So equally you could have something on those. I don't think the standing passengers from Oxted on a single two-car would welcome that, somehow, though!

No, your thinking of our cupboard in the ptosl, this the the sliding door with the plug, cupboard.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Do any services in the UK have machines? I've seen them on foreign trains, albeit not ever anyone using one!

Do we assume they'd get vandalised?

tsr

Established Member
No, your thinking of our cupboard in the ptosl, this the the sliding door with the plug, cupboard.

We were actually thinking of the same one! By "the sliding door" I'm pretty sure you mean the roller door cupboard, which is usually right by two bays of table seats, hence my comment! I guess you could replace those bays with seating in the style of the old 442 "snug", the "breakfast bar" they had on 319s, or the sideways seats you get on a few trains. Wouldn't be such a bad idea if the trains were never rammed full, but they are. Even better if you could put it near First Class or something.

I don't think you have the roller door cupboards on 387s, but I'm pretty sure there are cupboards with power sockets in them, just like the 377/6 and /7. I'll see if I can have a look at some point.

jon0844

Veteran Member
BR tried the idea on the Cambrian Coast Express in 1962, but it was not a success. Not sure whether it's been tried since.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/longsheds/6153874138/

Technology has come a long way since then, and if you had a decent machine (not those dodgy Selecta machines at many stations that push, or don't push, items out) that was perhaps card only, I think they could work.

Obviously for longer journeys, which means the 700s on TL could have been ideal contenders. Not GatEx where you're not really on the train that long.

rmt4ever

Thanks everyone. I have noticed they have changed the GatEx website and removed mention of refreshment service to 1st class carriage passengers.

The website now states:

First Class accommodation onboard Gatwick Express offers everything you need to get you to your destination feeling relaxed and refreshed. Whether you're travelling for business or pleasure the emphasis is on comfort. Our First Class interiors provide a calming and spacious environment for you to make the most of your time whilst travelling to or from the airport.

First Class features include:

Large, comfortable seats*
Tables which you can work from
Complimentary copy of The Telegraph**
View terms and conditions for free Airport Lounge offer

* During peak weekday morning extension Gatwick Express services travelling from Brighton to London Victoria, calling at Gatwick Airport (0705, 0720, 0735, 0750, 0805, 0820 and 0850) and weekday evening extension Gatwick Express services travelling from London Victoria (1730, 1745, 1800, 1815, 1830, 1845) to Brighton, via Gatwick Airport, First class seating is subject to availability.

That is rather confusing if you ask me. Re the * against the large comfortable seat statement, it says during peak weekday morning extension services (whatever that means) and lists some departure times. Does that mean that on any other GatEx service on the whole of the day, you can NOT guarantee a Large Comfortable seat????

That just doesn't make sense....

Whenever I have taken the GatEx in first it has always been a good seat, probably compatible to a GNER first class coach seat - I have attached a picture of this type of seat which is the one put on their own website.

Does this latest disclaimer mean that you have very little chance of getting that seat on the trains? I am confused as I thought all Gat Ex trains featured this seating.

Myself and the Mrs are going away for a week next month from LGW and will be using the GatEx. Its about an extra £20odd for 1st open return instead of standard. Normally I would pay but if now they are saying I won't get a 1st class seat, whats the point??

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Ta

Attachments

• 733.jpg
    733.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 70

Domh245

Established Member
I'm guessing that only those services are advertised as having large comfy seats, as the others will be operated by the new 387/2s, whose first class accomodation can be seen at that start of this video. Neither large nor comfy!

berneyarms

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I have noticed they have changed the GatEx website and removed mention of refreshment service to 1st class carriage passengers.

The website now states:

That is rather confusing if you ask me. Re the * against the large comfortable seat statement, it says during peak weekday morning extension services (whatever that means) and lists some departure times. Does that mean that on any other GatEx service on the whole of the day, you can NOT guarantee a Large Comfortable seat????

That just doesn't make sense....

Whenever I have taken the GatEx in first it has always been a good seat, probably compatible to a GNER first class coach seat - I have attached a picture of this type of seat which is the one put on their own website.

Does this latest disclaimer mean that you have very little chance of getting that seat on the trains? I am confused as I thought all Gat Ex trains featured this seating.

Myself and the Mrs are going away for a week next month from LGW and will be using the GatEx. Its about an extra £20odd for 1st open return instead of standard. Normally I would pay but if now they are saying I won't get a 1st class seat, whats the point??

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Ta

Re the reference to catering:
They had already removed the reference to on board refreshments from that page which is the main page for first class: (http://www.gatwickexpress.com/en/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/first-class/).

I've posted that fact at least twice in this thread since you made your first post but you seem to keep ignoring it.

The place that they didn't and still haven't removed the reference is on the FAQs page, which is where you saw it, which to be honest is a rather hard to find page as it is under "Contact Us", and as I've posted several times now I would imagine that is simply down to oversight. Nothing more than that.

http://www.gatwickexpress.com/en/contact-us/faqs/on-board/#q7

With regard to the *footnote, what they are saying is that those departures listed from Gatwick Airport in the morning start in Brighton, and from Victoria in the evening are extended to Brighton and as they are at peak times are likely to be full with commuters to/from Brighton and that there may be less First Class seats available for Gatwick customers as a result on those particular trains.

They're merely saying that those particular trains are likely to be very busy with commuters (who may have first class season tickets).

Last edited:

rmt4ever

I'm guessing that only those services are advertised as having large comfy seats, as the others will be operated by the new 387/2s, whose first class accomodation can be seen at that start of this video. Neither large nor comfy!

What !!! Is that really the new GatEx trains???

Do they not think that people would notice the change in First Class facilities???

Thats astonishing... Surely they can't pass them off as First Class seats compared to the current ones...

When are the trains changing?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They had already removed the reference to on board refreshments from that page which is the main page for first class: (http://www.gatwickexpress.com/en/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/first-class/).

I've posted that fact at least twice in this thread since you made your first post but you seem to keep ignoring it.

The place that they didn't and still haven't removed the reference is on the FAQs page, which is where you saw it, which to be honest is a rather hard to find page as it is under "Contact Us", and as I've posted several times now I would imagine that is simply down to oversight. Nothing more than that.

With regard to the *footnote, what they are saying is that those departures listed from Gatwick Airport in the morning start in Brighton, and from Victoria in the evening are extended to Brighton and as they are at peak times are likely to be full with commuters to/from Brighton and that there may be less First Class seats available for Gatwick customers as a result on those particular trains.

They're merely saying that those particular trains are likely to be very busy with commuters (who may have first class season tickets).

Woah don't have a go at me. GatEx clearly advertise(d) (apparently wrongly) that they have the refreshment service for first class passengers. If it was an oversight, upon my complaint surely they would have told me in reply it was an oversight and corrected it. Instead they said they are sorry that the service was supposed to be provided but wasn't.

This tells me as a consumer that the at seat refreshment service SHOULD still be available !!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

And as per your own references and their * references, that would seem that they do not guarantee Large Comfortable seats on these commuter trains, but do guarantee Tables that we can work from, and a copy of the telegraph (it is not clear what the ** reference to that promise refers to).... how can they guarantee the latter two to First Class ticket holders, but not the large comfortable seat ?? That is what makes me believe that the only reason for stipulating these trains with a * is that they are the only ones guaranteed with a large comfortable seat....

What do we pay the 1st premium fare for on the GatEx? If not a large premium comfortable seat ???

Last edited by a moderator:
You pay the premium fare so you don't have to share the train with commuters.

We are known to be bad-tempered, unpleasant and likely to use your lap as a place to put our:

a) Coffee
b) Laptop
c) Folding bicycle
d) Heavy briefcase
e) All of the above

You're better off being segregated onto your own holiday expresses.

TTFN

talldave

Established Member
Woah don't have a go at me. GatEx clearly advertise(d) (apparently wrongly) that they have the refreshment service for first class passengers. If it was an oversight, upon my complaint surely they would have told me in reply it was an oversight and corrected it. Instead they said they are sorry that the service was supposed to be provided but wasn't.

This tells me as a consumer that the at seat refreshment service SHOULD still be available !!

Don't be surprised at this. GatEx customer services people are zero iq muppets who don't understand English, cannot read Web pages and know f**k all about GatEx services. Even if you sent them a fully annotated copy of their page detailing all the errors with corrections they'll ignore you because they're too thick to understand. I have tried for years to get them to fix errors without success.

Status
Not open for further replies.