• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More GWR Green HSTs on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
The coach formations don't normally change much, the odd vehicle might get replaced with a spare vehicle from time to time, but they go back to booked formation fairly quickly. The powercars obviously change around all the time though.

Oh, they do! All the time; for the past 12 months or more the formations have been all over the shop.

As for "every HST will be refurbished and painted green within two years", I'm unsure where that data has come from but it isn't the general consensus.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimm

Established Member
Oh, they do! All the time; for the past 12 months or more the formations have been all over the shop.

As for "every HST will be refurbished and painted green within two years", I'm unsure where that data has come from but it isn't the general consensus.

And is almost the complete opposite of what Mark Hopwood said at a meeting I was at last month.

Someone may know how many HST rakes have been up to Kilmarnock over the past couple of years but there are an awful lot of them out there right now with blue paintwork that is still going to be under guarantee, so the odds of any of them going green before they leave GWR has got to be near zero.

furgus2

I was travelling on the green set yesterday when it stopped on the bridge. It was already about 10 minutes late when it came to a stand less than halfway across. We were given regular updates of what the driver was doing. He had to walk to the rear power car and then back to the front. It took several attempts to get the train moving again but eventually it got going and made it to Plymouth about 45 minutes late.
Onward travel to Paddington was on the 12.56 departure which, unsurprisingly, was soon packed out with many standing passengers all the way. People seemed generally good-natured about the situation, though.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As far as I understand it, the only chance of more green HSTs will be if there's further significant delays with either the wires or the trains to use them, or both.

fgwrich

Established Member
And is almost the complete opposite of what Mark Hopwood said at a meeting I was at last month.

Someone may know how many HST rakes have been up to Kilmarnock over the past couple of years but there are an awful lot of them out there right now with blue paintwork that is still going to be under guarantee, so the odds of any of them going green before they leave GWR has got to be near zero.

Not just under warranty but I gather, that the Green sets had to have their paint paid for by First Group, as Wabtec have more than enough of the Blue paint in stock - more so given that the idea of reliviering the HST wasn't decided on for some time - subject to business case, done with vinyl etc before settling on repaint the stock, some of which had fairly recently been repainted Blue already.

eddie v paxman

I think it would be bad for the image,to have just one set in green.mind you,x number of powercars/coaches would probably take an age to complete.

Established Member
From info at Laira the Green set will not have blue vehicles inserted in service. They appear to want the whole set out of service than put a blue coach or powercar on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.