• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More National Express destinations axed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
IMHO there's an interesting contrast between the way trains are viewed on the forum and buses/coaches.

For example, I grew up in a town on the CityLink network (with direct services to England) - there's not been any CityLink services for a generation now, and the local bus operator provides a more frequent coach service than in my youth (albeit not to quite such exotic locations) - but this seems to suit the vast majority of people. That's generally the approach I favour - public transport providing reliable/frequent services to the nearest big cities with connections available there (rather than the tokenistic stuff).

It seems that this is in line with other posters on here (witness the calls for routes like the X43 to Burnley or the Coastliner to Scarborough to be used as valid connections)

But with rail, there's an obsession with through services, connections apparently can't be trusted, passengers don't like to change, we must cram lots of services through bottlenecks because we insist on direct trains etc etc.

People on here say that it's vitally important that we provide public transport to various rural villages/ small towns, but National Express cut back services and abandon some larger places and there's pretty much silence - for all that "Workington Man" was apparently the "hero" of the recent General Election (and people pretended to care about these "left behind" towns), the West Cumbrian town can lose its only public transport to the world outside Cumbria and there's no fuss made - yet a thread about cutting the trains to somewhere insignificant like Breich will have hundreds of people demand that this "vital" service be retained.

Maybe the "bus" side of the forum is just a lot more realistic about the wider world, but if people *genuinely* cared about the "left behind" towns beyond the supposed metropolitan liberal elites of this country, if people were honestly bothered about providing public transport to places that don't currently have a train station, then this thread would be a major talking point and we'd maybe discuss a way of subsidising some kind of regular coach service to forgotten places like these (instead of various threads where people argue in favour of spending hundreds of millions building heavy rail to connect villages/small towns).

Whilst I'm on my soapbox, this should be an issue for politicians too - but it's much easier to say "nationalise the trains" (and assume that this solves things) than it is to deal with the reality of places taken off the public transport map (given that buses/ coaches are a much simpler/cheaper/faster way of tackling gaps - you could have a hundred brand new coaches running to such towns whilst one heavy rail proposal was still stuck in the feasibility studies.

That would be rather ignoring the busy half-hourly Stagecoach Gold bus service to Penrith, though, wouldn't it? Passengers would indeed probably be better served by connections. If they can get an agreement with Stagecoach for the 555 and 4x that'll solve most of that.

Your point more fits with a question as to whether Keswick or Windermere could justify a daily through service to/from London, and I'd agree no, it couldn't.

There are local services in the Lake District, sure, but no more long distance links in some towns (which, given the way people on here talk about the importance of maintaining long distance trains to Cumbrian towns, feels significant).

Given that the train obviously doesn't provide long distance services for Warrington/Whitehaven, I could see there being a market for a daily service from Manchester/ Liverpool to the West Cumbrian towns, via Windermere and Keswick, of use to the leisure trade who just want to sit on one vehicle and see bits of the Lake District beyond the Windermere train terminus, but I guess that market is more filled by Shearings etc nowadays?

This was something discussed between a few of us at work earlier this week, and came up with a hypothetical prediction of what may happen to the network.

The plethora of one and two per day services are withdrawn, but replaced by a network of shorter but more frequent routes. For example, the services from the south coast to the Midlands and north may be replaced by a Poole/Bournemouth - Southampton - Oxford - Birmingham service running every 2 hours, and two shorter routes north from Birmingham to Manchester and Nottingham/Sheffield/Leeds to a similar frequency.

Even though people may need to change mid-route, much of this would sit in places where refreshment breaks are provided on through routes. Basically, there would be greater use of regional hubs like Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds.

Less frequent extensions and variations would be withdrawn to simplify routes, with through ticketing onto local routes becoming more commonplace. For example, the 540 extensions to Burnley would be cut back to Manchester, covered by an agreement on the X43 similar to that with Coastliner. It would also mean more journey options through the day, as passengers could use any X43/540 combination rather than just those through 540s.

So what you would end up with are the 0xx (former Shuttle), 2xx (former Air/Jetlink) and 5xx (former Rapide) routes, with the 3xx becoming a network of inter-urban shuttles instead.

I can also see a greater use of Parkway-style calling points in some locations, using places like offline motorway services instead of town centres.

That seems to be the way things are going - interesting, given the well documented problems that XC have!

Take the Timetable from Birmingham to Bristol (Made up of lots of once a day services)
Departure times from Birmingham and any stops en-route.
07:00 - Cheltenham (336)
09:00 - Gloucester (338)
11:00 - Worcester (330)
12:45 - Cheltenham (339)
12:45 - Gloucester (531)
13:00 - Worcester (324)
13:30 - Direct (333)
15:00 - Cheltenham (530)
16:00 - Direct (328)
17:45 - Direct (345)
19:00 - Direct (532)
22:00 - Cheltenham & Gloucester (331)

It's not the most user friendly timetable (I got the 339 the other day at it was almost empty but then again there were 4 coaches doing the same trip within 45 mins of one another!) then bigger gaps beforehand. It makes no sense!

This is exactly the kind of random assortment of services between two large cities that we'd have if we followed the approach some want on the XC threads (e.g. if we accommodate Liverpool/ Brighton/ Portsmouth/ Carlisle)!

Messy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Man of Kent

I think the planners are out of touch with the real world at NX. Not a care in the world for passengers unless you are on their frequent services. Lots of potential thrown away because they don't care.
National Express's last annual report showed that they increased passenger numbers by 5.2% over the previous year (19 million to 20 million), a 5% increase in revenue, and a one-third increase in profits. These figures seem to me to back up their current business strategy as sound.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Milton Keynes Parkway has a frequent service into MK and the Stagecoach X5 calls in every 30 mins on the way from Oxford to Cambridge.

In reality most people would take a taxi or get a lift (or drive, the parking is free), and it's on that basis rather more convenient for about half of MK than the railway stations are.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given that the train obviously doesn't provide long distance services for Warrington/Whitehaven, I could see there being a market for a daily service from Manchester/ Liverpool to the West Cumbrian towns, via Windermere and Keswick, of use to the leisure trade who just want to sit on one vehicle and see bits of the Lake District beyond the Windermere train terminus, but I guess that market is more filled by Shearings etc nowadays?

I think you've got it there. The sort of people, generally older, who would like "coach to the hotel, coach home" are the sort of people who will book a package tour for that purpose.

markymark2000

On Moderation
National Express's last annual report showed that they increased passenger numbers by 5.2% over the previous year (19 million to 20 million), a 5% increase in revenue, and a one-third increase in profits. These figures seem to me to back up their current business strategy as sound.
How much of that growth though is on their airport routes and their hourly or more frequent route? As has been mentioned previously, outside of that they don't really care. All of their focus ends up on the existing areas and not trying to build outside of that.
Some of their hourly or more frequent routes had a good few seats free anyway at times so could some of those passengers could be on existing coaches by increasing occupancy on the coach from 70-80%

In my example of Chester, if they diverted more services there and scrapped off Warrington which never has more than a few people, it could increase passengers but they wont. Chester to the North Wales Coast normally has quite big demand.... But the buses bypass the city. They have potential to grow services but are missing out areas which have potential for growth.

RT4038

Established Member
How much of that growth though is on their airport routes and their hourly or more frequent route? As has been mentioned previously, outside of that they don't really care. All of their focus ends up on the existing areas and not trying to build outside of that.
Some of their hourly or more frequent routes had a good few seats free anyway at times so could some of those passengers could be on existing coaches by increasing occupancy on the coach from 70-80%

In my example of Chester, if they diverted more services there and scrapped off Warrington which never has more than a few people, it could increase passengers but they wont. Chester to the North Wales Coast normally has quite big demand.... But the buses bypass the city. They have potential to grow services but are missing out areas which have potential for growth.

But only a few posts ago you were berating megabus "but Megabus spends too much time diverting around the world" - maybe Narional Express views Chester in the same light, taking too long to turn off the motorway and battle congestion to get there?
How do you know that there is a big demand in Chester?

markymark2000

On Moderation
But only a few posts ago you were berating megabus "but Megabus spends too much time diverting around the world" - maybe Narional Express views Chester in the same light, taking too long to turn off the motorway and battle congestion to get there?
How do you know that there is a big demand in Chester?
It should be no difference in time running via Chester instead of Warrington. It could be an extra 5 mins on trips via Stoke but that depends on congestion at the time. The Southport 550 though would be absolutely no difference time wise. The existing 550 via Chester doesn't use the motorway much. It runs down the A41 to Hooton Crossroads then jumps on the M53 and comes off at Hoole, into Chester but then it goes down the A51 past Whitchurch and joins the M54 at Cosford. Not much motorway working compared to Warrington.

I know there is big demand for Chester on regular observations at the bus station at 8am (admittedly 2 coaches depart but when the 381 leaves, you always see at least 15 but can go up to 30 people left at the stop). I have also used the 550 (and 421) multiple times. The 421 has around 6 passengers to/from London and the 550 in my experience, a good chunk of people go to Birmingham however they used to go to London before the journey time was increased by diverting into Birmingham.

Demand for Warrington I know as I have seen it first hand as I used to be at the bus station quite frequently at times which happened to be the same as NatEx departures. You were lucky to get 3 passengers from what I saw.

Belperpete

Established Member
I saw reports recently that National Express had announced that they were buying no more diesel vehicles. It therefore does not surprise me that they are cutting back on their more esoteric one-a-day routes, as providing infrastructure to support non-diesel vehicles on such routes would likely not be cost-effective.

carlberry

Established Member
I saw reports recently that National Express had announced that they were buying no more diesel vehicles. It therefore does not surprise me that they are cutting back on their more esoteric one-a-day routes, as providing infrastructure to support non-diesel vehicles on such routes would likely not be cost-effective.
No more diesel BUSES.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Are there any electric coaches on the market at present? I can't think of any.

AndrewE

Established Member
You'd think an electric coach would be easier than a bus because you've got all that space under the floor where you could put heavy batteries.
We are told that lithium-ion batteries are not heavy, which is why the Danish ferries using them can afford to put them on the top deck. That and the facts that two of their 4 original diesel engines are still in them - and the ships were originally built as train ferries, so are unusually stable by modern standards

randyrippley

Established Member
I can understand NX cutting the service north of Lancaster or Kendal- going up the central Lakes valley is a logistical nightmare quite simply due to the amount of tourist traffic. But chopping the Lancaster Uni service seems crazy. Something like 14,000 students plus another 6,000 or so at the University of Cumbria campus. Students who can't afford the train but like to get away at weekends.
There's a heck of a captive market there and if NX can't fill a single bus each day with students then there's some bad marketing going on.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I can understand NX cutting the service north of Lancaster or Kendal- going up the central Lakes valley is a logistical nightmare quite simply due to the amount of tourist traffic. But chopping the Lancaster Uni service seems crazy. Something like 14,000 students plus another 6,000 or so at the University of Cumbria campus. Students who can't afford the train but like to get away at weekends.
There's a heck of a captive market there and if NX can't fill a single bus each day with students then there's some bad marketing going on.
I would say more like no marketing. Except for their main stops, NX doesn't really advertise externally.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Students who can't afford the train but like to get away at weekends.

Said students, though, can take the 40 to Preston and connect. They probably do that anyway rather than a once a day coach service.

Or they might stick with the train and use LNR from Crewe which gets the price down significantly.

Statto

Established Member
Again main issue is journey time, Lancaster University-London takes 8 hours, even Lancaster-Manchester takes 2 hours 35 minutes.

Is National Express that much cheaper than the train, i've just had a look at the fares Lancaster-London, on the coach it's £38 one way, £76 both ways, by rail off peak return is £102, but advance tickets start from £31.

Even Lancaster-Manchester not much more expensive, coach £18 return, rail £21.40 off peak return[£20 off peak return on TPE only]

Far more choice of trains by rail than a once a day coach service

asb

Megabus do Lancaster Uni too, so not as if they are left totally coach-less there.

Status
Not open for further replies.