• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Morecambe to Heysham line electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I was interested to read that the Lancaster to Heysham and Morecambe line was electrified in 1908. The branch from Morecambe to Lancaster closed in 1966 (another route remains open), but the Heysham to Morecambe line is still open.

I was wondering if the electrification equipment remained in place once electric traction stopped, and how difficult it would be to re-electrify the route? (I realise that Lancaster to Heysham electrification is probably decades away)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
From what I recall, the current route from Lancaster to Morecambe via Bare Lane doesn't have that many overbridges, so electrification shouldn't be too difficult.

NORMAN471

Four by my count!

Five from Lancaster Castle Station since the new Bay Gateway link bridge carrying the road from Heysham to the M6 was built but only three from Morecambe South Junction to Morecambe Station would require wiring for Electrification. They are Broadway Bridge, York Bridge and Euston Grove/West End Road Bridge.

bradford758

The line ran from Heysham Harbour, then Morecambe to Lancaster Green Ayre, continuing to Wennington and Skipton.
There was a link to Lancaster Castle station but as far as I know it was not used for passenger services.
The Heysham Harbour portion did close for a while, reopening in 1987 and currently has a through service from Leeds.
The Morecambe to Lancaster Green Ayre section was indeed used for experiments in overhead electrical supply.
Currently there is a cycle/footpath along most of this section, apart from central Lancaster, as Greyhound Bridge is now part of the national road system.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

Welshman

Established Member
The line ran from Heysham Harbour, then Morecambe to Lancaster Green Ayre, continuing to Wennington and Skipton.
There was a link to Lancaster Castle station but as far as I know it was not used for passenger services.

The Morecambe to Lancaster Green Ayre section was indeed used for experiments in overhead electrical supply.

As I remember, the electric trains ran from Morecame to Lancaster Green Ayre and then reversed up into Lancaster Castle.

The steam trains continued through Green Ayre to Wennington , where they were joined by a portion from Carnforth for the onward journey to Skipton and Leeds/Bradford.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
From what I recall, the current route from Lancaster to Morecambe via Bare Lane doesn't have that many overbridges, so electrification shouldn't be too difficult.

2 miles of Paisley Canal-type low-speed wiring to Morecambe should do it, without any bridge-raising.
No track, platform or signalling alterations needed.
It would eliminate a diesel shuttle and offer through journeys south.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Has any local authority or Lancashire County Council made any written comment in any strategic reports upon the advisability of an improved electric rail link that would act as a method to improve tourism into Morecambe from places further than Lancaster.

Having tourism in mind, whilst Southport has its electric line from Liverpool, the services from the Manchester/Wigan direction are entirely diesel operated and there are no immediate plans to electrify that particular line.

randyrippley

Established Member
Theres virtually nothing remaining of the old electrification system. If you know where to look you can see the stubs of catenary supports on the faces of Ovangle Rd bridge, and also a couple of concrete mast bases near the location of Scale Hall halt.
Otherwise the only remaining sights were the Heysham Harbour power station (which provided the power for railway and harbour) which was finally flattened around 30 years ago.
Electrification of the currently used former LNWR route would only make sense if the line was properly signalled again (at the moment the two tracks to Morecambe are effectively independent sidings, with the line to Heysham controlled with a ground frame), regular commuter service extended to Heysham and new stations provided. Sensible locations would be Broadway, Lancaster Rd (York Bridge), West End Rd Bridge, Regent Rd, Oxcliffe Rd, Meldon Rd, Middleton Rd, Moneyclose Lane. Running a regular service every 20 minutes on that route would significantly reduce the number of buses between Lancaster and Morecambe, especially if the service were extended to the University and the old Bailrigg (private) Halt reopened. Theres already a passing loop there which could be used for termination/reverse.
Forget any concept of selling electrification as a boost to tourism: Morecambe tourism is dead and Lancaster City Council have no interest in reviving it. Only reason for electrifying the route would be to cut the number of buses in Lancaster and Morecambe

Status
Not open for further replies.