• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Morning Glow' from Tehachapi, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac6000cw

Established Member
My second video from a recent visit to California.

It's early Sunday morning in October 2015, east of Tehachapi (near Monolith), with the sun just having risen above the hills to the east.

A couple of long freight trains pass by and catch the morning glow...

[youtube]?v=yT-BNqJ1tVI[/youtube]

(or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-BNqJ1tVI )

A couple of stills from the same location:

22877559565_e833e840fe_c.jpg

22459210527_f0dbc2bb6d_c.jpg

(The previous thread in the series is here - http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2368296 )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ac6000cw

Established Member
Mesmerising!

I find it sort of relaxing to watch - makes a nice contrast to the faster-paced 'diesels blasting upgrade' stuff (like my earlier Tehachapi video).

For the loco spotters, the first train has a matched set of GE ES44 locos, three on the front and another three as mid-train DPUs. The second one has BNSF's usual mix of GE's - first two are ES44, second two are older C44-9W. All of them are rated at about 4400hp each - so that BNSF train is probably a fairly 'hot' intermodal, as it's not hanging about and has 17,000hp to pull a moderate weight train (piggy-backed trailers are not very heavy, and there are not that many double-stacks in the consist).

(DPU = Distributed Power Unit = radio-controlled loco)

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Very nice. Wish I had had more time when I was in the States last year for some rural spotting.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Very nice. Wish I had had more time when I was in the States last year for some rural spotting.

Thanks :) - it was one of those chance 'right place, right time' situations as much as anything.

If anyone wants an idea of the length of the trains, I was about 1.5 miles from the cement works at Monolith (the chimney in the distance).

Status
Not open for further replies.