• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most affordable but best ticket for a southern south London network bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
Looking for the cheapest option for a Saturday to do some of the south London network , mainly for 455s so that would be places like Norwood junction, anerley, tulse hill, London bridge, norbury etc.

My initial thoughts are just a standard zones 1-6 travel card, but is there anything cheaper? Usually I park three bridges and usually look at £25 ish for a travel card, but caterham to London bridge travel card is £13 (+£5 for parking)

Do southern not do a network card or something just for their services ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Daysave is £21 today and £22 from tomorrow - book three days in advance.

https://www.southernrailway.com/tickets/ticket-types-explained/daysave
DaySave train ticket – For unlimited Off-Peak travel
Our Rover train ticket is the perfect way to save money if you’re planning on doing lots of travelling outside of rush hour times. A DaySave ticket gives you unlimited Off-Peak travel on all Southern Railway services and is available online.

When can I use my DaySave train pass?
The DaySave ticket is an Off-Peak ticket. This means you can use it at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and even on Bank Holidays for those day trips out. During the Monday to Friday period your train day pass is not valid before 10:00, or on trains that leave the following stations between 16:15 and 19:15:
East Croydon
Victoria
London Bridge
Clapham Junction

Your DaySave ticket is valid for one day and can be used for Standard Class travel only.

Southern 455s don't currently work services beyond the boundary of Zone 6 (eg Epsom Downs, Caterham, Sutton) so a travelcard is going to be cheaper, for journeys starting closer to London. From Newhaven, the Daysave may well be cheaper.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As @JonathanH has just pointed out, there's the Southern DaySave ticket. Covers the whole of the Southern network, so includes much of the South coast as well as South London. Has to be booked a few days in advance of the day of travel. Can't be bought on the day.

trainmania100

Established Member
Thanks, looks like the travel card would be for me. DaySave seems to be the whole southern network and I just need south London really.

Few years ago I used to see tickets like "Thameslink Only" and they tended to be cheaper than an all round travel card. Thameslink to London, then anything else thereafter. Wasn't sure if there was something like that for a travel card, eg "Southern Only" but not a day save

Whilst I am Newhaven, I'd be cutting costs by driving to somewhere "closer" to London, probably whyteleafe or kenley.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A super off peak day travelcard from Three Bridges to London Zones 1-6 (route Thameslink only) is currently priced at £13.90, but you'd effectively be restricted to Thameslink services between Three Bridges and East Croydon and one journey in, and one journey back, outside the Zone 6 boundary. Are the other lines you want to ride in South London otherwise all within Zones 1-6? If so, that might work for the OP.

Haywain

Veteran Member
At risk of re-opening a can of worms, a Thameslink only Travelcard from Three Bridges only costs £13.90 at the weekend (slightly more by Saturday). As th restriction only applies outside of the zones, I doubt you'll find better value than that.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Few years ago I used to see tickets like "Thameslink Only" and they tended to be cheaper than an all round travel card. Thameslink to London, then anything else thereafter. Wasn't sure if there was something like that for a travel card, eg "Southern Only" but not a day save

Whilst I am Newhaven, I'd be cutting costs by driving to somewhere "closer" to London, probably whyteleafe or kenley.
Yes, there are still "Thameslink only" travelcards which are considerably cheaper, particularly at the weekend. Indeed, those from Gatwick Airport or Three Bridges aren't very much more than one bought in-boundary.

(Note that they are meant to have been withdrawn some years ago so will disappear at a fares review sooner or later.)

At risk of re-opening a can of worms, a Thameslink only Travelcard from Three Bridges only costs £13.90 at the weekend (slightly more by Saturday). As th restriction only applies outside of the zones, I doubt you'll find better value than that.
At each fare increase round, you do wonder whether this is the point at which they are to be withdrawn. A walk to the ticket machine tonight indicates an increase in the Three Bridges ticket to £14.40 and that it lives on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.