• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most comfortable seats you have tried in a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardog

I guess for me it would be in our IC3 trains, although the seats could still be much better. http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC3

It seems that first class on some Malaysian coaches and Shinkansen trains, have super comfortable reclining seats. Some of these can even be turned 180 degrees, in order to face the driving direction.

Left picture is from Shinkansen, and the right one is from Malaysia. Very smart, and I have never seen such fancy stuff here in Europe. ;)

images
images

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, the IC3s are lovely. Very BR in interior appearance, too, with the coach end murals. There is one unit named after a BR designer and themed on the BR look, notably.

The Malaysian one shown is First Class and is decidedly average (I've been on it) - no better or worse than any UK 2+1 First Class.

Don't travel First very often, though, and I've found all 2+1 types I've encountered equally comfortable, so I'll be controversial - my favourite UK Standard rail seat is the very high backed type used by First Great Western. Very comfortable, and as I'm tall my head actually rests on the headrest rather than the back of my shoulders. Second favourite is the 2+2 Desiro seat found in 185s and 350s.

The worst is East Coast, with the seat base that slopes the wrong way. Utterly awful. I'd rather travel in the middle seat of a 3 in a 150/2.

Neil

Taunton

Established Member
Mark 1 first class compartment stock. Probably amazingly cheap in comparison to modern stuff as well. Shows the benefit of designs done in the days before ergonomics were discovered.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Maybe the most comfortable seats are those that you don't notice - it's only really when you get uncomfortable that you take any heed of the seats.
While we're on international stuff, I think the Swiss loco-hauled hauled IC stock that I caught between Cologne and Basel falls into that category - nearly 5 hours on the train, and I didn't notice the seats at all.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe the most comfortable seats are those that you don't notice - it's only really when you get uncomfortable that you take any heed of the seats.
While we're on international stuff, I think the Swiss loco-hauled hauled IC stock that I caught between Cologne and Basel falls into that category - nearly 5 hours on the train, and I didn't notice the seats at all.

They're fine if you don't have someone next to you, but less comfortable if you do, as there is no central armrest.

OTOH the First Class is quite uncomfortable - very soft and unsupportive.

Neil

AM9

Veteran Member
Class 387s are quite comfortable as the posture is just right. This may come as a surprise to some who have not experienced them and a few who have, but the firmness actually helps. Also, this question should be considered in the context of how much use the seat has had since installation/refurbishment.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
.... Also, this question should be considered in the context of how much use the seat has had since installation/refurbishment.

Good point - some of the Mk1s which had literally had the stuffing knocked out of them could be pretty dire.

And on the Swiss IC coaches...
They're fine if you don't have someone next to you, but less comfortable if you do, as there is no central armrest.

OTOH the First Class is quite uncomfortable - very soft and unsupportive.

Neil
We must have had different ones then - mine were like those at the top of http://www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CH/SBB_Bpm.php with fold-down armrests between

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Last edited:

Wardog

Yes, the IC3s are lovely. Very BR in interior appearance, too, with the coach end murals. There is one unit named after a BR designer and themed on the BR look, notably.

The Malaysian one shown is First Class and is decidedly average (I've been on it) - no better or worse than any UK 2+1 First Class.

Don't travel First very often, though, and I've found all 2+1 types I've encountered equally comfortable, so I'll be controversial - my favourite UK Standard rail seat is the very high backed type used by First Great Western. Very comfortable, and as I'm tall my head actually rests on the headrest rather than the back of my shoulders. Second favourite is the 2+2 Desiro seat found in 185s and 350s.

The worst is East Coast, with the seat base that slopes the wrong way. Utterly awful. I'd rather travel in the middle seat of a 3 in a 150/2.

Neil
Have you experienced reclining seats with footrests that can be turned 180 degrees in UK?

SS4

Established Member
Back here at home I've found the seats in Chiltern's Business Class to be the most comfortable although I am yet to use the service in summer so I am yet to see the effect of poor weather on them

Veteran Member
Have you experienced reclining seats with footrests that can be turned 180 degrees in UK?[/QUOTE

No, though I believe one or two special vehicles may have had them. One of the problems is our restricted width. Only ones I van recall were on NSB.

Trenitalia

I find unconfortable seats (Level service: prima) on Italo trains in Italy, Freccciarossa's seats are more confortable, especially in Business class. Confortable also seats onto Frecciargento and Frecciabianca trains (First class).

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Have you experienced reclining seats with footrests that can be turned 180 degrees in UK?

Have you experienced reclining seats with footrests that can be turned 180 degrees in UK?[/QUOTE

No, though I believe one or two special vehicles may have had them. One of the problems is our restricted width. Only ones I van recall were on NSB.

I think two of these mk1 based coaches were built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. Around 1957. This one (3083) I travelled on is preserved at the Severn Valley Railway, 1st. class open 2+1 reclining 180 degree seating very comfortable and to top it off Deltic D9000 on the front of the train:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 38

upnorth71

Gran Class on E7 high speed trainsets (also on E5), rode Tokyo to Nagano. Expensive though.

They rotate 180 degrees as do all seats on shinkansen and limited express trains. Reliablity is rock solid, which is a given, albeit we don't have the same levels of anti-social behavior that exist in other countries- some commuter trains even use plush felt seat cushions made of angora wool, probably wouldn't last the day in a U.S. system.

http://www.hitachi.com/rev/pdf/2013/r2013_05_102.pdf

Wardog

Gran Class on E7 high speed trainsets (also on E5), rode Tokyo to Nagano. Expensive though.

They rotate 180 degrees as do all seats on shinkansen and limited express trains. Reliablity is rock solid, which is a given, albeit we don't have the same levels of anti-social behavior that exist in other countries- some commuter trains even use plush felt seat cushions made of angora wool, probably wouldn't last the day in a U.S. system.

http://www.hitachi.com/rev/pdf/2013/r2013_05_102.pdf
Very nice, Im so envious! :lol:

How do you rotate the seats (foot pedal perhaps?) and are passengers allowed to do it themselves?

Does all first class seats in Shinkansen have reclining with leg rests as well?

tony_mac

Established Member
Railjet business class?

They have some different seats you can try at Shildon - it always strikes me that the old ones are so much more comfortable than most modern seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.