• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most out of date station sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class156

There's a plaque at Ayr Station in memory of workers of the Glasgow and South Western Railway who died in the great war. I would have got a picture today if I knew about this thread.

still ONE old flourescent light left....

Cleethorpes station - i think its platform 3 - the non existent one!
lol

Attachments

• cleethorpes.jpg
    cleethorpes.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 91

bnm

Established Member
Exit from Marylebone Underground.

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 201

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Those fantastic old lamps ccould also be seen at a couple of stations on the Clacton line last time I was there, a year ago: at Weeley and Thorpe-le-soken. A design classic!

Ibex

A friend of mine spotted this at Sutton Coldfield recently.

Attachments

• 213745642.jpg
    213745642.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 214

Butts

Veteran Member
Very interesting thread this.

Birmingham Moor Street still has old signage referring to one of the old operators from the old days- cant remember which one.

Do any stations still have GWR LNER LMS etc in stonework on the frontages - this is harder to erase.

Eagle

Established Member
Cardiff Central famously has a very large GWR stone frontage. Leamington is also full of GWR branding in the fixtures (as well as a bit of BR(W) too).

Bungle73

On Moderation
There seem to be quite a few stations with GWR benches. I've only seen the ones at stations in London, but Googling it reveals they're all over the place.

wintonian

Established Member
There seem to be quite a few stations with GWR benches. I've only seen the ones at stations in London, but Googling it reveals they're all over the place.

Bristol, Bath and Bradford on Avon to a couple of the top of.my head - they genraly seem well maintains as well.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Bristol, Bath and Bradford on Avon to a couple of the top of.my head - they genraly seem well maintains as well.

I might have seen the ones at Bath too, but I've only been there once, and it was a while ago.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
There's still 'new' BR-style road signs directing you into the 'Station Car Park' at the old Tiverton Junction site - next time I'm up that way I'll try and get images (unless somebody else gets there first - in Willand, go up the road between the motorway and railway underbridges, but it's visible as you come back down that road again). Unfortunately, foliage covers it on the Google Streetview images...

snail

Established Member
There's still 'new' BR-style road signs directing you into the 'Station Car Park' at the old Tiverton Junction site
I know I'm repeating myself but the double arrows are not out of date! Lots of people seem to think they became redundant the same time as British Rail, but it just ain't so.

LE Greys

Established Member
The columns on the old Blackfriars Bridge (soon to come back into use) have London, Chatham & Dover Railway on them, a name not used since it merged with the South Eastern Railway in 1899, although it officially existed on paper until 1922.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I know this isn't National Rail, but Newbury Park station on the Central Line retains it's Great Eastern Railway canopy brackets, despite being part of LU since 1947 and the LNER from 1923-47.

Toots

Do any stations still have GWR LNER LMS etc in stonework on the frontages - this is harder to erase.

Yes, Manchester Victoria still proclaims 'Lancashire and Yorkshire railway' below the clock.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Network NorthWest signage still dotted about at various stations.

Kearsley still has the original orange backed M entrance sign.

Road signs around Preston direct you to Red Star.

Red Star is the words I was thinking off to contribute to this thread!

IIRC Wigan North Western still has Red Star signage too

LE Greys

Established Member
Also plenty of North Eastern Railway maps at some of its former stations, Scarborough and York both spring to mind. These show plenty of lines that simply are not there any more, which must cause a bit of confusion. However, they are a nice decorative feature and should not be amended, although a modern map alongside would be a good idea.

50010 Monarch

I know I'm repeating myself but the double arrows are not out of date! Lots of people seem to think they became redundant the same time as British Rail, but it just ain't so.

Yes, but Tiverton Junction station closed on 12.05.86 so any remaining signs at the site that refer to the station can be classed as being out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.