• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most pointless journey for which a fare is available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I’m not to sure if this has been said but Wigan Wallgate to Wigan North Western is a mere few feet from each other
Been mentioned a few times already upthread. Another one where you'd need a Day Ranger type ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

madjack

We haven't yet had Acton Central to Acton Main Line (1.2km). Point to point is £8.10 with Maltese Cross. PAYG is £2.80/£3.90.

Admittedly not the most outstanding national entry if we're rating on the cost/distance ratio - we've got a number upthread which are more expensive for the same kind of distance (I think New Mills is the best for the same distance for £15.90). But I think it's the best for London so far?

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I’m not to sure if this has been said but Wigan Wallgate to Wigan North Western is a mere few feet from each other and travelling by train between the two would mean joining on to the Manchester to Liverpool Main line at Newton le Willows, travelling to Oxford Rd or Piccadilly and back on the local lines through Westhoughton and Swinton.
In the reverse direction 06.56 from North Western, Daisy Hill 07.04/07.22 Wallgate 07.30.

4COR

We haven't yet had Acton Central to Acton Main Line (1.2km). Point to point is £8.10 with Maltese Cross. PAYG is £2.80/£3.90.

Admittedly not the most outstanding national entry if we're rating on the cost/distance ratio - we've got a number upthread which are more expensive for the same kind of distance (I think New Mills is the best for the same distance for £15.90). But I think it's the best for London so far?
The Walthamstow example a few pages up is the same price, yet a bit shorter ;)

madjack

The Walthamstow example a few pages up is the same price, yet a bit shorter ;)
Doh! Sorry about that... I thought I'd read it all, but 12 pages is a lot to get through. <(

It's 10p cheaper to get from Walthamstow Central to Acton Main Line than to Queen's Road...

flitwickbeds

I’m not to sure if this has been said but Wigan Wallgate to Wigan North Western is a mere few feet from each other and travelling by train between the two would mean joining on to the Manchester to Liverpool Main line at Newton le Willows, travelling to Oxford Rd or Piccadilly and back on the local lines through Westhoughton and Swinton.
You don't have to necessarily go all the way to Manchester. Ince offers an Interchange during some parts of the day.

Metrolink

You don't have to necessarily go all the way to Manchester. Ince offers an Interchange during some parts of the day.
Yes Ince would be used more if commuters were to take a train from anywhere on the Westhoughton branch to Wigan NW as a change.
for services towards Preston and Glasgow. Right now it’s only 18.06 and 9.06 from Ince to Wigan NW.

Note: Ince to Wigan North Western is another pointless service, it’s only really used to drop off passengers: most would walk from wallgate to North Western

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
best of all, as few mentioned. rice lane to walton £25.10 takes 13 mins train journey with 1 change. walk takes 5 mins!
There is no fare available for that journey:

No fares available.

There is no quoted fare for that journey. That’s a rover ticket

Again, people should be looking at brfares.com as NRE can be misleading.
Agreed.

When the OP said "for which a fare is available" I think we have to take that to mean a point to point fare. No other interpretation would make sense!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Still not sure why the Lancashire Day Ranger fare is being shown by NRE for a "journey" between Wigan NW - Wigan Wallgate by rail when a cheaper GM Rail Ranger would, I think, suffice (in the absence of any actual point to point fare being available).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Still not sure why the Lancashire Day Ranger fare is being shown by NRE for a "journey" between Wigan NW - Wigan Wallgate by rail when a cheaper GM Rail Ranger would, I think, suffice (in the absence of any actual point to point fare being available).

Doesn't appear that NRE has a full set of Day Rangers/Rovers loaded.

Metrolink

Another pointless journey would be Wakefield Westgate to Wakefield Kirkgate, I don’t see the point in buying this ticket.

Some could say that it could be used as a connection on to the Normanton line towards Knottingley but buying the ticket is unnecessary, it is a ten minute walk if that.

Come to think of it Bromley North to Bromley South is another pointless journey and it requires multiple changes (Petts Wood/ St Mary Cray and Grove Park)

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Another pointless journey would be Wakefield Westgate to Wakefield Kirkgate, I don’t see the point in buying this ticket.
Isn't there an hourly Northern service that calls at both stations. Are you saying that folk making the short hop from one Wakefield station to the next shouldn't have to pay any fare? :s

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Isn't there an hourly Northern service that calls at both stations. Are you saying that folk making the short hop from one Wakefield station to the next shouldn't have to pay any fare? :s

The stations are to be fair about 1km apart, which is a fairly normal Merseyrail station spacing, though I doubt many people make the journey in and of itself rather than doing it for a connection from the other.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Do seem to be a few posters trying to assert that a fare for a shortish distance journey (where trains operate a regular direct service between the two stations) is automatically pointless, simply because many folk might wish instead to walk, or because the guard might not get round in time to collect the fare.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do seem to be a few posters trying to assert that a fare for a shortish distance journey (where trains operate a regular direct service between the two stations) is automatically pointless, simply because many folk might wish instead to walk, or because the guard might not get round in time to collect the fare.

The ones that are pointless are where you'd need to take an excessively long journey to get between them - e.g. the two Burscoughs, the two Wigans or whatever.

If the South Curve ever gets reinstated, the two Burscoughs should get a fare as that would potentially be useful.

Metrolink

No for me personally I would rather walk ten minutes than pay £2.40 to cut just over 5 minutes from my journey.

Metrolink

Isn't there an hourly Northern service that calls at both stations. Are you saying that folk making the short hop from one Wakefield station to the next shouldn't have to pay any fare?
The train begins in Leeds heads south towards Outwood and then stops at Westgate where it turns east toward Knottingley via Kirkgate.

However if passengers needed to depart the train at Kirkgate because it is closer to a certain attraction by all means stay on the train to Kirkgate. I just find pointless than someone would buy a ticket to an hourly train that goes less than a mile to Kirkgate where they can interchange- let’s bear in mind this service is hourly so buying this ticket requires timing because if not walking is the best option.

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
Rice Lane to Orrell Park Merseyrail, you can travel to either on the rail but it would be quicker to walk from one to the other.

Metrolink

Rice Lane to Orrell Park Merseyrail, you can travel to either on the rail but it would be quicker to walk from one to the other.
Rice lane to Walton even more so but there is no direct service - you have to change in Kirkdale and that’s another pointless fare, I think the distance between Walton and Rice lane is less than 100 metres

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Unsure if it has already been mentioned, but Whitley Bridge, Henshall, Snaith, and Rawcliffe to either Teesside Airport, British Steel Redcar, Denton, Reddish South, Barlaston, or Wedgwood could be deemed useless due to the limited service or in the case of the Potteries stations, a very strange looking train that has rubber tyres and runs on tarmacadam roads.

flitwickbeds

Unsure if it has already been mentioned, but Whitley Bridge, Henshall, Snaith, and Rawcliffe to either Teesside Airport, British Steel Redcar, Denton, Reddish South, Barlaston, or Wedgwood could be deemed useless due to the limited service or in the case of the Potteries stations, a very strange looking train that has rubber tyres and runs on tarmacadam roads.
Good shout. May I nominate Tees-side Airport to Reddish South. TEA only has one train service all week, around 2.30pm on Sunday. And RDS only has two trains a week, one in each direction, on a Saturday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.