• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Motorail Her and Europe TRIVIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

I am interested in the history of Car Carrying trains both in the UK and in Europe. Could anybody tell me what was the longest (in terms of distance) in the UK?
Was it Newton Abbot to Edinburgh or Dover to Stirling. Likewise what was the longest in Europe Would it have been Hook of Holland to Ljubljana.

Thanks for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
London to Inverness would have been a greater distance than both of those.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that at one point there was a St Austell to Stirling service which would have been a contender, distance by road is slightly shorter than London - Inverness but rail distance may well have been further.

Gloster

Established Member
In the early 1980s (and probably at other periods) the Newton Abbot-Stirling ran via the North & West (Abergavenny and Whitchurch), which probably added to the mileage covered. Other services may also have used this routing.

Veteran Member
Villach to Edirne is the longest in Europe by journey time.1405km, 32h.

Puttgarden-Narbonne (source: 1973 Cook's) must be a leader at 1670km by road - 400km more than Hoek to Ljubljana.

pitdiver

Villach to Edirne is the longest in Europe by journey time.1405km, 32h.

Puttgarden-Narbonne (source: 1973 Cook's) must be a leader at 1670km by road - 400km more than Hoek to LjubljanaI
I didn't spot the Villach-Edirne one. Is that current. I wasn't sure where Puttgarden was. Both are journeys from hell I would think

Post geleted

Last edited:

Veteran Member
I didn't spot the Villach-Edirne one. Is that current. I wasn't sure where Puttgarden was. Both are journeys from hell I would think
Villach-Edirne is current (seasonal) and I believe caters for the descendants of Germany's Gastarbeiter (migrant labour)

Puttgarden catered for the Scandinavians who AIUI are still heavy users of the remaining (Open Access) Motorail routes from Hamburg. The Med is a great attraction (my B-in-L and wife will happily drive there from Southern Norway).

Status
Not open for further replies.