• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Motorail Services Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

At the height of Motorail services what was the longest service in Great Britain and the longest service in continental Europe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
In the UK surely it would have to be the London-Inverness services?

Gloster

Established Member
There was a Brockenhurst-Stirling, which combined with a portion from somewhere else, possibly Dover. There was also a Stirling-Newton Abbot.

WesternLancer

Established Member
continental wise IIRC there were services beyond France - so whilst the Calais to south of France (Nice?) would have been a long one wasn't there one to Italy at one time or am I mis remembering.

Good page here detailing the BR UK network from early 60s onwards and it's various developments over the years - includes a nice bit of home movie 3mins long too (esp good if you like Westerns!)

Last edited:

Veteran Member
On mainland Europe, I doubt if anything was longer than the current Villach-Edirne (Turkey) route, certainly for journey time (at least 33h)
Hamburg-Narbonne is a couple of hundred km further though (by road), and I'm fairly sure that combination was offered in the early 2000s wneh I used DB Autozug from southern France.

In the UK, the only Inverness service I recall was to York, with Stirling being the main terminal for non-London routes as already mentioned.

Magdalia

Established Member
In the UK, the only Inverness service I recall was to York, with Stirling being the main terminal for non-London routes as already mentioned.
In 1980 there was a Kensington Olympia to Inverness motorail.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There were Motorail vans on the Euston to Inverness sleeper when I used it in 1985.

Veteran Member
There were Motorail vans on the Euston to Inverness sleeper when I used it in 1985.
Should have remembered!

And they were a good 100miles further than either of the Stirling routes mentioned.

I’ve got a rather wonderful brochure from 1964 entitled British Railways Car Carrying Services which must have been published just before the Motorail branding and even the BR double arrow symbol. I attach photos of a few pages of which one shows the routes……
2582643A-6CD0-4B10-A1F9-E6E66FA2F9B5.jpeg6F0EC07E-4A34-40D1-BAC5-E3C18267F4FB.jpegD22673BF-8FBB-4E66-9D95-0873012E9C40.jpeg

peri

Just glancing in the opposite direction, wasn't there a day service from Stirling to Inverness?
Or was it Fort William? A long time ago we travelled from York to Inverness in seated compartments,
didn't sleep a wink but still better than the A9 at the time.

Taunton

Established Member
Just glancing in the opposite direction, wasn't there a day service from Stirling to Inverness?
Yes, it ran in the late 1970s, supposedly to relieve the A9 road which was under (partial) reconstruction. One a day, northbound late morning, southbound late afternoon, attached to a Glasgow-Inverness passenger service. Recall taking it as a passenger southbound in a September 1977 afternoon, just two cars and a number of empty carflats, which I think was pretty much the norm.

The shortest service of all was of course Pilning to Severn Tunnel Junction.

Bertone

There was a Brockenhurst-Stirling, which combined with a portion from somewhere else, possibly Dover. There was also a Stirling-Newton Abbot.
I traveled on the Stirling- Newton Abbot service in 1972.
I recall having an evening meal on board the train at Stirling before departure and next morning breakfast somewhere en route around the outskirts of Birmingham.
Nice experience.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I’ve got a rather wonderful brochure from 1964 entitled British Railways Car Carrying Services which must have been published just before the Motorail branding and even the BR double arrow symbol. I attach photos of a few pages of which one shows the routes……
View attachment 121046View attachment 121047il
That's a lovely booklet, I have a Motorail leaflet from I think the early 70s, but not as detailed as this.

As Taunton alludes to, the morning (0910 by the late-70s) Glasgow-Inverness had motorail vehicles conveyed from Stirling, I think until 1980.

Certainly, in the period just before the 47/7s took up service on the E&G shuttles, this was one of the workings the first 3 conversions often appeared on.

Gloster

Established Member
I recall having an evening meal on board the train at Stirling before departure and next morning breakfast somewhere en route around the outskirts of Birmingham.
Nice experience.

By 1980 it ran via the North & West, rather than Birmingham. Presumably it changed to and from electric haulage at Crewe.

Either you had an early breakfast or the train was running late: I reckon that it should have passed Birmingham around 05.30.

Snow1964

Established Member

I think the service from Brockenhurst was the last train to use sleeper carriages on the Southern Region

Photo is the set propelled to the unloading dock (which was a third rail electrified siding next to the Lymington platform loop). The 4 carriages used to go to Bournemouth for servicing, the wagons staying in the dock.

I think at one time might have been a motorail train to Fishguard, but not sure where it ran to. (EDIT it was Kensington Olympia)

And bit of nostalgia

Last edited:

Bertone

By 1980 it ran via the North & West, rather than Birmingham. Presumably it changed to and from electric haulage at Crewe.

Either you had an early breakfast or the train was running late: I reckon that it should have passed Birmingham around 05.30.
Must have been running late, we definitely didn’t get up at that time!

ANDREW_D_WEBB

I think the service from Brockenhurst was the last train to use sleeper carriages on the Southern Region
During the late 80s there was a standard sleeper from Bournemouth using Mark 3 stock. Don’t know when the Brockenhurst Motorail finished

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Apart from the short lived Poole - Scotland sleeper, which finished in 1992 IIRC

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I think at one time might have been a motorail train to Fishguard, but not sure where it ran to. (EDIT it was Kensington Olympia)

It ran in summer from 1965 to 1980, with a few extra trains in high season up to 1982. (Source disused-stations website.)

During the late 80s there was a standard sleeper from Bournemouth using Mark 3 stock. Don’t know when the Brockenhurst Motorail finished

It looks as though it ended in 1980 or, less likely, 1981.

daodao

Established Member
In 1972, I recall travelling from Newton-le-Willows to Inverness by a Motorail service, in a sleeper carriage.

Taunton

Established Member
Quick! A glass of water for our Health & Safety Manager, who has just fainted ...

Attachments

• H&S.JPG
    H&S.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 89

BrianW

Established Member
Nice experience.
In 1972, I recall travelling from Newton-le-Willows to Inverness by a Motorail service, in a sleeper carriage.
Inverness via Stirling to Ely/ Dover/ Brockenhurst/ Bristol/ Newton Abbot- a kind of Multiple Coast Unexpress with multiple 'portions'?

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Yes, it ran in the late 1970s, supposedly to relieve the A9 road which was under (partial) reconstruction. One a day, northbound late morning, southbound late afternoon, attached to a Glasgow-Inverness passenger service. Recall taking it as a passenger southbound in a September 1977 afternoon, just two cars and a number of empty carflats, which I think was pretty much the norm.
Initially Stirling to Inverness was introduced as Stirling (and Perth) to inverness and return Motorail service with limited second class accommodation (one BSO for non motorail passengers (39 seats)). Fairly soon (next timetable change?) it transformed into a morning Glasgow to Inverness and early afternoon (14.xx) Inverness to Glasgow additionals filling gaps in the regular timetable and conveying carflats from/to Stirling

Here’s an extract from the South East London &Kent timetable 5/80 - 5-81 showing the summary of routes on the Motorail Network
DA067203-2E4F-4218-A416-A8B211D092CF.jpeg

And this from the Scottish Region timetable for summer 1968.
Newton Abbot was obviously quiet a Motorail hub back then
2D8E8566-2626-4F66-A09A-8A11EFB6562A.jpeg

Last edited:

Rescars

View attachment 121046View attachment 121047View attachment 121048
Wonderful extracts! IIRC Motorail services were still known as Car-Carriers within Travellers-Fare (who provided the restaurant car services) in the very late 1970s.

Veteran Member
Inverness via Stirling to Ely/ Dover/ Brockenhurst/ Bristol/ Newton Abbot- a kind of Multiple Coast Unexpress with multiple 'portions'?
Two separate Anglo-Scottish trains from Stirling. Ely had completely passed me by, was it detached from an East Coast service at Peterborough?

Status
Not open for further replies.