• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Motorail vans in Cardiff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

Had a (now quite rare) jaunt into Cardiff this morning. Does anyone know what is going on with the four motorail vans on Canton shed?

They are in the old FGW livery (green/gold) if that helps.

Are they there for restoration and possible use? If so where?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Ah, so that's where they went.

Those final 4 left Eastleigh around the 31st of July, and are now used / leased by Colas Rail. As for what use Colas has for them i now don't know, as last years extraction from Eastleigh took 4 up to Rugby for potential conversion / insulating work, with the aim of being used on a contract with Marks & Spencer conveying food from Kent up north.

fgwrich

Established Member
Ah, so that's where they went.

Those final 4 left Eastleigh around the 31st of July, and are now used / leased by Colas Rail. As for what use Colas has for them i now don't know, as last years extraction from Eastleigh took 4 up to Rugby for potential conversion / insulating work, with the aim of being used on a contract with Marks & Spencer conveying food from Kent up north.

It seems the plan has sort of changed with these Ex Motorail vans - Now look set to start being reused on this Colas Daventry - Euston service instead conveying roll cages stacked with items for Tesco?.

Established Member
It seems the plan has sort of changed with these Ex Motorail vans - Now look set to start being reused on this Colas Daventry - Euston service instead conveying roll cages stacked with items for Tesco?.
I hope they have more success with this than when they looked into using them for mail traffic.

Flamingo

Established Member
Oh, OK. I had a theory that ATW were going to tag them onto the back of the Cardiff-Holyhead trains, as the roads from Cardiff to Holyhead are such a nightmare.

WillPS

Established Member
Oh, OK. I had a theory that ATW were going to tag them onto the back of the Cardiff-Holyhead trains, as the roads from Cardiff to Holyhead are such a nightmare.

Not a bad idea but I suspect the cost of (re?)instating the infrastructure would be too high. Mind you the WAG Express seems to exist in a world where it needn't be popular...

Flamingo

Established Member
Not a bad idea but I suspect the cost of (re?)instating the infrastructure would be too high. Mind you the WAG Express seems to exist in a world where it needn't be popular...

Exactly. It doesn't have to be cost effective, it just has to appeal to the WAG. It's just the sort of stunt I would expect from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.