• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MP and former Conservative Minister James Brokenshire has died aged 53

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
As per the title, James Brokenshire has died after battling lung cancer:

Former Northern Ireland Secretary and Home Office minister James Brokenshire, who was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2018, has died aged 53.
The Old Bexley and Sidcup MP took leave from his ministerial duties earlier this year after reporting a recurrence of a tumour on his right lung.
His family called him "a loving father to his three children, a devoted husband" and a "faithful friend".
Mr Brokenshire had been in hospital since his condition worsened on Sunday.

He was first elected to Parliament in 2005 as MP for the former constituency of Hornchurch.
Chair of the Old Bexley and Sidcup Conservative Association, Evelyn Morrison, who worked with Mr Brokenshire, for 12 years, said: "I'm very devastated. A wonderful, wonderful MP. Lots of integrity. He worked so closely with us."
After his diagnosis, Mr Brokenshire, a former lawyer, worked to promote greater awareness of lung cancer.
Mr Brokenshire was a Home Office minister from February last year until this July.
Previously, he was housing secretary from April 2018 to July 2019 and Northern Ireland Secretary from July 2016 to January 2018.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
My understanding was that he was a decent bloke (and a May loyalist).

My reason for stating the latter is that she seemed to be able to attract the loyalty of many of her departmental ministers, and she, in turn, was loyal to them. Not that common in politics today and reflects well on all concerned.

Really tough on his kids!

duncanp

Established Member
It was interesting to her Angela Rayner (deputy leader of the Labour Party) paying tribute to him, only a few weeks after her comments below about Conservative ministers, of which James Brokenshire was one.

We cannot get any worse than a bunch of scum, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, absolute vile … banana republic, vile, nasty, Etonian … piece of scum,”

Presumably she toned down the "street language of her northern working-class roots" when paying tribute to Mr Brokenshire today.

This is very saddening and seeing the tributes from all sides, shows that he was one of Westminster's really good guys.

A man who was skilled in his briefs and served under 3 Prime Ministers, is someone who has been lost far too early.

But seeing a fundraiser for the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation in his memory; has already hit £7k, says everything about James and his hope of ending the stigma against Lung Cancer - knowing he was one of 15% of patients who didn't smoke.

My full love goes to his family.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It was interesting to her Angela Rayner (deputy leader of the Labour Party) paying tribute to him, only a few weeks after her comments below about Conservative ministers, of which James Brokenshire was one.

Presumably she toned down the "street language of her northern working-class roots" when paying tribute to Mr Brokenshire today.
All sorts of things are said when politicians criticise their opposition in the course of their day-to-day activities, but they generally show a bit of decorum when one of their own (no matter which side they sit on) passes away in such circumstances.

Perhaps you should take note.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Met him a couple of times, once in trying circumstances with several of his colleagues. He stood out as being sensible, reasonable and decent. I was sorry to hear the news.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

He was only a minor minister, and not a minister at all for much of the Johnson premiership. He was also (according to Wikipedia) not educated at Eton. There are plenty of government ministers to which some or all of the Rayner description is applicable, but Brokenshire doesn't appear to have been one of them.

I trust you are equally offended by the racist and other comments made by many of those ministers, as by someone criticising in strong terms their racist etc behaviour.

duncanp

Established Member
He was only a minor minister, and not a minister at all for much of the Johnson premiership. He was also (according to Wikipedia) not educated at Eton. There are plenty of government ministers to which some or all of the Rayner description is applicable, but Brokenshire doesn't appear to have been one of them.

I trust you are equally offended by the racist and other comments made by many of those ministers, as by someone criticising in strong terms their racist etc behaviour.

I was simply contrasting Ms Rayner's description of Tory cabinet ministers, of which Mr Brokenshire was one, as "...scum..." with her "..tribute.." to Mr Brokenshire after his death.

And he wasn't just a "minor" minister either, unless you believe that Northern Ireland and Housing, Communities and Local Government are minor departments within the cabinet.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I was simply contrasting Ms Rayner's description of Tory cabinet ministers, of which Mr Brokenshire was one, as "...scum..." with her "..tribute.." to Mr Brokenshire after his death.
I mean no disrespect to Mr Brokenshire or those who mourn him by drawing the following :Not the Nine O'clock News' sketch to the forum's attention:

Typhoon

Established Member
Whenever a politician of any political colour dies, there will be favourable and supportive descriptions of them from right across the spectrum but those for Brokenshire seem to be much more heartfelt than the standard descriptions. We must take these as being well meant, unless there is clear evidence that those towards the individual are not. So far there has been no such sign.

MPs* from all parties establish friendships with those of other parties through shared interests, campaigns, assistance. In his role as a Home Office minister Brokenshire may well have helped a constituent of Rayner's (or she may know of such cases). We don't know and I am not sure it is the time to question this.

Can we let this lie?

* - OK, there are a few who don't, who believe dogma is all. They are generally best forgotten.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Well done for using his death to make a party political point.

Status
Not open for further replies.