• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MPVs at Totton Yard - are they always there?

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

Please move if not in appropriate section, but it's in regards to the Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV) units that work out of Totton (Hampshire, not Toton!). Do they come down for Autumn/Winter time only or are they parked up there through the Spring and Summer period as well? I assume it's just an outpost and return to their base (which I can't remember their allocation, Crewe?)

Any help appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wickham

I think you will find MPVs at Totton Down Yard all year round, this IS the base of the 5 or 6 to be found there they are not allocated to Crewe. In the summer you will see the modules removed and sitting on the ground at Totton - I think they have a road crane to swop the modules around (de-icing, weedkilling, water etc.): As far as "the Southern" is concerned there is another base at Effingham Junction (the old carriage shed), Horsham (up yard - former Chipmans base) and Tonbridge (site of former steam shed in fork of Hastings & Ashford lines). It may be that swops between locations take place but I am not sure about that and it could be said that all Network Rail plant's "home base" is York (former carriage works) but these rarely if ever go there.

fgwrich

Established Member
I think you will find MPVs at Totton Down Yard all year round, this IS the base of the 5 or 6 to be found there they are not allocated to Crewe. In the summer you will see the modules removed and sitting on the ground at Totton - I think they have a road crane to swop the modules around (de-icing, weedkilling, water etc.): As far as "the Southern" is concerned there is another base at Effingham Junction (the old carriage shed), Horsham (up yard - former Chipmans base) and Tonbridge (site of former steam shed in fork of Hastings & Ashford lines). It may be that swops between locations take place but I am not sure about that and it could be said that all Network Rail plant's "home base" is York (former carriage works) but these rarely if ever go there.
Further to this, they moved to Totton yard a few years ago after renting space in Eastleigh Works. When that contract came to an end (I think it was when it changed from (Colas to) South West Trains to the present incumbent) is when they moved out to Totton.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Thank you very much for that info, most appreciated, my knowledge of RHTT workings is very rusty, couldn't think if they all had a base they returned to off-season or not, now I know it is an actual base.

Info more for the Southampton - Bournemouth route on Train Simulator, there is a MPV model but wasn't sure if placing some in Totton Yard in the summer season was unrealistic or not (set in year 2015) but now I know I can at least fill it up. Last time I passed Totton the slammers were still on the Lymington branch, I haven't been down the main line for years

wickham

It is slightly confusing because all the loco hauled RHTT vehicles DO return to base at York after the season for cleaning and maintainance, but the MPVs don't as they are required for spring/summer duties weed spraying and (sometimes) fire fighting or prevention (ie: spaying water at certain important places).