• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Munich and Vienna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citybreak1

I plan to take this trip next year. 5 days to do this trip. Starting in Brussels and staying in Munich. I was looking at hotels at station there but seems it’s not a good area according to reviews? I need somewhere handy as I am looking at a 7.30 train to Vienna. How would I reach the football stadium in Munich too as I plan to visit that? What can I do in Vienna for the day? Would staying further into the city centre in Munich mean the station is too far for the early train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I plan to take this trip next year. 5 days to do this trip. Starting in Brussels and staying in Munich. I was looking at hotels at station there but seems it’s not a good area according to reviews? I need somewhere handy as I am looking at a 7.30 train to Vienna. How would I reach the football stadium in Munich too as I plan to visit that? What can I do in Vienna for the day? Would staying further into the city centre in Munich mean the station is too far for the early train?
I have stayed in hotels around the Hbf - it's not too bad.

farci

Hotels around Central Stations in Germany do have a poor reputation, unless you have a personal recommendation. However Munich has a good public transport network.

As an example I created this journey on Google Maps from a very reasonable hotel. You can edit it to your arrival time and add alternatives

StephenHunter

Established Member
Hotels around Central Stations in Germany do have a poor reputation, unless you have a personal recommendation. However Munich has a good public transport network.

As an example I created this journey on Google Maps from a very reasonable hotel. You can edit it to your arrival time and add alternatives
I was in the Vi Vadi Hotel Downtown Munich myself in 2021:

They happily transferred my booking over when Covid made the original 2020 trip impossible and also allowed me to drop my luggage in the morning after arriving on the Nightjet from Amsterdam.

dutchflyer

Established Member
HTLs just round main station=HBF tend to be overpriced and not with best of service-but thats marginal. On a site like booking.com one can compare all factors, also on a map. The german equiv. of booking is hrs.de-but they tend to offer much the sameness.
As about anywhere in DE in a big city public transport is good-best are the railway-run S-Bahn, and these also start much earlier as the tipical /en/-man is used to-think around 5.00 a.m. Around 6.00 in HBF is already near peak time.
I for myself often stay in hotel BB chain-most of these are very near the big stations (but not in MUC), basic and good value, for some perhaps too basic. They only offer BF for meals-german style.
IF you want a hint of I know it from UK: seek for Premier HTL-now also around 50 places in DE-and the same reliable stndd as in GB-incl. the brekkie. Prices very variable with demand. In fact I am right now on my way to stay in one-in another place.
It seems you have booked already-for others; WestBahn, the private competitor to OeBB now also has 2 trips/day from MUC-via their core route: Salzburg-Linz-Wien.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Stayed in the Ibis just to the N of Munich Hbf in September. Dachauer Straße - street of a thousand takeaways - but it seemed OK to me. Not a posh area, but didn’t feel unsafe. Hotel itself was good, especially the DIY waffles for breakfast.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
While you're not going for Oktoberfest, the budget ibis München City Süd recommended in this article might be of interest. Breakfast anytime from 4am and a short U Bahn ride to Munich Hbf. It seems to have good Trip Advisor scores for a budget offering.

I was in the Vi Vadi Hotel Downtown Munich myself in 2021

I think that's where I stayed around 10 years ago. The rooms had kitchenettes and while it didn't officially have a restaurant, the neighbouring Italian restuarant was owned by the same people and they offered a breakfast service.

AdamWW

Established Member
I've stayed in the "Sure Hotel by Best Western Muenchen Hauptbahnhof"

Right by the station, wasn't too expensive, and I had no complaints.

Citybreak1

Thanks

So what could I do in Vienna? The railway station looks interesting. What’s the trains like going from Munich to Vienna? It looks similar in ways to Brussels is this right?

Veteran Member
Thanks

So what could I do in Vienna? The railway station looks interesting.
Are you interested in normal touristy things, or just transport - huge tram network, U-bahn and the miniature railway in the Prater... Czech, Hungarian, Slovak and Polish trains/locos
What’s the trains like going from Munich to Vienna?
OeBB Railjets plus some Westbahn double-deckers. Check on Seat61.com, very recent report.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Thanks

So what could I do in Vienna? The railway station looks interesting. What’s the trains like going from Munich to Vienna? It looks similar in ways to Brussels is this right?

Schlösser Schönbrunn und Belvedere. Both highly recommended though the former will require a tram or bus ride, maybe even a local train, as it's a fair way out of the centre of Wien.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Used holiday inns several times. The one in Munich I used was ~20 mins away from Hbf but transport network was excellent.

Used ibis budget in Vienna. No complaints at all and good central location for a decent price.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Hum a certain Ultravox song a few times. It means nothing to me whether you do that or not.

See the Danube, which isn't blue, more grey.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I've stayed in the "Sure Hotel by Best Western Muenchen Hauptbahnhof"

Right by the station, wasn't too expensive, and I had no complaints.

Does anyone have any experience of the Royal Bavarian Hotel in Munich, bang opposite the Hbf?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
As Munich-Vienna trains generally stop at Munich Ost station too, you could look at nearby hotels to that station too, Holiday Inn, Motel One etc

coppercapped

Established Member
Does anyone have any experience of the Royal Bavarian Hotel in Munich, bang opposite the Hbf?
When I was working in Munich some dozen years ago that building was a post office! It looks, and is, a very 1950s post-war rebuild. The Daily Telegraph has a review of it at this link https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...tels/25hours-hotel-munich-the-royal-bavarian/

Clearly I have no direct experience of the hotel - the last time I was in the building was to buy some stamps!! By the way, the article has a spelling mistake, the official name of the Stachus is Karlsplatz, not as written.

duesselmartin

Established Member
I stayed at the Flemings Hotel near Wien Westbahnhof. A very comfortable house with reasonable prices. Certainly better than Ibis if your budget allows it.

Citybreak1

Due to train and I wouldn’t want to change at Salzburg I wouldn’t be there too long. Seemingly theres a shopping mall near by and I can reach the main square by metro in 5 minutes though.

In terms of Bayern Munich stadium seems most metro stops are around 15-20 mins from the stadium maybe a taxi is better if not maybe it’s easy to spot?

I expect I would have more time in Munich in this trip to explore. I have a choice I could change trains at Cologne or instead go for Frankfurt which means I could catch the ICE at Brussels? Can’t see any difference in travel time over all though. Some require a change at colognes second station across the bridge though.

The main goal is to see the stadium and Vienna station which I have time for. 4-5 nights should do it I don’t like flying much or night trains. And I’m keen to try Austria. Salzburg is more accessible quicker but maybe less appealing? I always see night train posts online going to Vienna station so would love to see it. Seems similar to Berlin.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Nö Metro in Salzburg if that is what you are referring to. It has trolley buses.
More interesting than the Allianz Arena is the Olympic Stadium. But that subjective.

Citybreak1

I see lots of potential to stay in Vienna close to Budapest too. Salzburg maybe worth a visit too. But on this occasion it may be fine to do just Vienna. First class on these trains looks a bit nicer too than standard. Says they don’t go 200mph so guessing lines are not as fast as France. I think both Vienna and Munich have nice central squares which I enjoy visiting on city breaks too. Seems Frankfurt may be the best location to switch to Munich.

coppercapped

Established Member
I see lots of potential to stay in Vienna close to Budapest too. Salzburg maybe worth a visit too.
Salzburg is well worth a visit - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born there on 27 January 1756 and lived there and as a result the place is full of Mozart 'stuff'. More museums and concerts than you could see and hear in a long stay and an absolutely stunning old town. Take a trip up to the fortress of Hohensalzburg and look down on the city - the view is breathtaking.
But on this occasion it may be fine to do just Vienna. First class on these trains looks a bit nicer too than standard. Says they don’t go 200mph so guessing lines are not as fast as France. I think both Vienna and Munich have nice central squares which I enjoy visiting on city breaks too. Seems Frankfurt may be the best location to switch to Munich.
The central square in Munich is the Marienplatz, the photogenic side is the town hall - but it's nothing compared to some of the Belgium central squares. The Hofgarten in the Mûnchener Residenz is also worth a look as is the enormous Englischer Garten. If you are into beer then I recommend the Augustiner Keller and Biergarten in the Arnulfstraße just west of the Hauptbahnhof as well as the tourist magnet of the Hofbräuhaus in the Bräuhausstraße at the corner to Platzl. An alternative for food and beer is the Schneider Brauhaus in Tal, a stone's throw from the Marienplatz. Try its Weissbier... If you have time visit the Deutsches Museum - the German equivalent to the Science Museum in South Kensington - once inside all concepts of time and space vanish.

nwales58

In terms of Bayern Munich stadium seems most metro stops are around 15-20 mins from the stadium maybe a taxi is better if not maybe it’s easy to spot?
In germany around cities there is seldom any need for taxis.

If you have not already, just enter into bahn.de or any other journey planner whereever to Allianz Arena München and you'll not only see that Fröttmaning is the U-bahn station but also be shown the walk legs if non-trivial. For fares it will tell you the relevant tariff association, MVV in this case.

Wikipedia will help you on OeBB's Railjets.

If thinking of Vienna-Budapest, bear in mind track works make the timetable a fantasy currently so allow lots of slack.

Citybreak1

Salzburg is well worth a visit - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born there on 27 January 1756 and lived there and as a result the place is full of Mozart 'stuff'. More museums and concerts than you could see and hear in a long stay and an absolutely stunning old town. Take a trip up to the fortress of Hohensalzburg and look down on the city - the view is breathtaking.

The central square in Munich is the Marienplatz, the photogenic side is the town hall - but it's nothing compared to some of the Belgium central squares. The Hofgarten in the Mûnchener Residenz is also worth a look as is the enormous Englischer Garten. If you are into beer then I recommend the Augustiner Keller and Biergarten in the Arnulfstraße just west of the Hauptbahnhof as well as the tourist magnet of the Hofbräuhaus in the Bräuhausstraße at the corner to Platzl. An alternative for food and beer is the Schneider Brauhaus in Tal, a stone's throw from the Marienplatz. Try its Weissbier... If you have time visit the Deutsches Museum - the German equivalent to the Science Museum in South Kensington - once inside all concepts of time and space vanish.
Cool I have done almost all main Belgium cities so yes they are impressive just somewhere new to visit. I often find most Germany cities are filled with large malls. I do have alot of time in Munich to see things. I plan to do a similar trip via Hannover after that to Berlin but I imagine Munich will offer more than Hannover.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Due to train and I wouldn’t want to change at Salzburg I wouldn’t be there too long. Seemingly theres a shopping mall near by and I can reach the main square by metro in 5 minutes though.

I expect I would have more time in Munich in this trip to explore. I have a choice I could change trains at Cologne or instead go for Frankfurt which means I could catch the ICE at Brussels? Can’t see any difference in travel time over all though. Some require a change at colognes second station across the bridge though.

The main goal is to see the stadium and Vienna station which I have time for. 4-5 nights should do it I don’t like flying much or night trains. And I’m keen to try Austria. Salzburg is more accessible quicker but maybe less appealing? I always see night train posts online going to Vienna station so would love to see it. Seems similar to Berlin.

Sorry to say, but while Vienna main station can be a good place to see rolling stock from our Eastern neighbours and is railway-wise quote busy, other than that there is nothing of interest. The station itself is functional but uninteresting and doesn’t resemble Berlin main station.

Wolfie

Established Member

Not sure how long you are in Vienna but taking the D tram to Nussdorf then walking through the vineyards and Wienerwald to Kahlenberg is well worth doing for the views. Try some of the heuriger (wine bars selling local produce, often their own) too.

Citybreak1

Not sure how long you are in Vienna but taking the D tram to Nussdorf then walking through the vineyards and Wienerwald to Kahlenberg is well worth doing for the views. Try some of the heuriger (wine bars selling local produce, often their own) too.
Cool Thanks.

Veteran Member
Seems Frankfurt may be the best location to switch to Munich.
Yes, or Frankfurt Flughafen - assumingvthings are running OK..

I'd consider doing different routes out and back for variety, so you could come back via Mannheim and the Rhine Valley.

Second the Nussdorf walk - downhill!

Status
Not open for further replies.