• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Murder is easy - Agatha Christie TV programme & Waterloo Station

deltic

Established Member
I was intrigued that this TV programme had an aerial shot of the approach to Waterloo station complete with steam trains as well as film of the train arriving at the station. About 6mins in if looking at it on BBC IPlayer. Is this CGI use over an existing period aerial film? Or is there another way of doing this? The technique certainly allows for far more realistic period mainline railway station scenes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I was intrigued that this TV programme had an aerial shot of the approach to Waterloo station complete with steam trains as well as film of the train arriving at the station. About 6mins in if looking at it on BBC IPlayer. Is this CGI use over an existing period aerial film? Or is there another way of doing this? The technique certainly allows for far more realistic period mainline railway station scenes.
It did look a little odd to see a small steam locomotive drawing into Waterloo on the Windsor side. The scenes with the actual actors were at Birkhill, on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway. It would seem unlikely that is actual footage.

The pictures show third rail on all lines. There appear to be a lot of people at the end of one of the platforms.
1704136984340.png
[Screenshot shows a small locomotive hauling a Mark 1 carriage into Waterloo, depicted in historic times - no electric trains in view]

Not sure how convincing this picture is, or how it was put together.
1704137111515.png
[Screenshot shows a steam locomotive (55189) arriving on the Windsor side at Waterloo under the overall roof. There appears to be a GWR engine in the adjacent platform.]

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It did look a little odd to see a small steam locomotive drawing into Waterloo on the Windsor side. The scenes with the actual actors were at Birkhill, on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway. It would seem unlikely that is actual footage.
View attachment 149509
[Screenshot shows a small locomotive hauling a Mark 1 carriage into Waterloo, depicted in historic times - no electric trains in view]

Not sure how convincing this picture is, or how it was put together.
View attachment 149510
[Screenshot shows a steam locomotive (55189) arriving on the Windsor side at Waterloo under the overall roof. There appears to be a GWR engine in the adjacent platform.]

That looks (very realistically) like the main line side of Waterloo.

I never got to see the Windsor side, but from photos it looked a lot more compact.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That looks (very realistically) like the main line side of Waterloo.

I never got to see the Windsor side, but from photos it looked a lot more compact.
Maybe, I was more thinking that it looked quite a few platforms to the north, so could be the 'modern day' Windsor side but guess it depends on whether it is derived from a modern day image of Waterloo, or a historic one. It seems a bit too well defined to be a historic image and there is no obvious cab road, whereas the aerial view is a bit more grainy.

It ought to be possible to work out the platform from the number of supports visible.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Maybe, I was more thinking that it looked quite a few platforms to the north, so could be the 'modern day' Windsor side but guess it depends on whether it is derived from a modern day image of Waterloo, or a historic one. It seems a bit too well defined to be a historic image and there is no obvious cab road, whereas the aerial view is a bit more grainy.

I'm guessing it would be a lot easier to use the existing Waterloo main train shed to provide the images than to try and recreate the old Windsor side.

Also, Windsor line services would have used the main train shed on occasions, so to use the main line shed scene is perfectly authenyic.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I watched it the other day and although I didn’t pause it at the time I’ve just done so now and I was wondering if some of it was old footage recoloured maybe?

Snow1964

Established Member
It is the main shed at Waterloo, probably a real photo that has been used for basis of CGI, with trains added. However it is taken from about third the way along the platforms (hence no luggage lifts, and closer to the outer end of glass roof).

The shot of the approaches also appears to be genuine, probably about 1950 as above the roof can clearly see St Paul's and OXO Tower, but no modern skyscrapers, and in the foreground the partially bombed buildings (although these weren't fully cleared until late 1980s)

Gloster

Established Member
Not getting too much into the inaccuracies, but in the shot of the approaches the tank (3F?) and the Corridor First behind look like they are buffer locked. 55189 is the preserved Caley 0-4-4T, so presumably they took lots of photos and CGIed it.

It shows how nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. The book was published in 1939, but they have presumably moved the TV version up to the 1950s.

Taunton

Established Member
In the first picture maroon corridor stock never made it into Waterloo in the steam era. Crimson/cream in the early 1950s, otherwise all green. Plus I seem to remember the station/ecs pilots, like an M7 (or 55189 :) ), were always used facing outwards.

Second picture, no Hall would be allowed at Waterloo, Cylinders were too wide for the curved platforms there. Damage to Hall, and 43xx, cylinders from trips onto the Southern was a periodic issue in BR days. It even happened to a Taunton Hall, which I suspect was on an excursion to Exmouth.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
Not getting too much into the inaccuracies, but in the shot of the approaches the tank (3F?) and the Corridor First behind look like they are buffer locked. 55189 is the preserved Caley 0-4-4T, so presumably they took lots of photos and CGIed it.
The loco hauling the incoming empty stock looks very much like an unmodified class O2 0-4-4 tank (i.e. not one of those that were shipped to the Isle of Wight and rebuilt with large coal bunkers).
Second picture, no Hall would be allowed at Waterloo,
Judging by the proportions of the boiler, it looks more like a Castle to me.

Taunton

Established Member
The loco hauling the incoming empty stock looks very much like an unmodified class O2 0-4-4 tank (i.e. not one of those that were shipped to the Isle of Wight and rebuilt with large coal bunkers).
We were both wrong. If you look at the actual moving video with the coupling rods going, it's an 0-6-0T.

I'll guess it's based on Hornby (SECR) R1 0-6-0T 31340, which was my first, very juvenile model railway loco in the very early days of Hornby OO 2-rail, long ago :)

DelW

Established Member
Watching the programme, I was quite impressed by the aerial and internal views of the train "arriving" at Waterloo in the early 1950s, as in the stills above.

But less so that the hero had arrived by sea at Liverpool (as in the scenes with his paperwork being stamped); but his train from there to London ran via a single track rural line and then turned up in Waterloo. Which possibly suggests that Waterloo was chosen because they could create the CGI scenes more easily, otherwise why not use (old film of) Euston?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It looks when magnified to have a double chimney, so definitely a Castle!

Definitely. It’s also got the box for the centre cylinders between the frames at the front and the cutaway section above the outside cylinders that marks it out from a King.

deltic

Established Member
Watching the programme, I was quite impressed by the aerial and internal views of the train "arriving" at Waterloo in the early 1950s, as in the stills above.

But less so that the hero had arrived by sea at Liverpool (as in the scenes with his paperwork being stamped); but his train from there to London ran via a single track rural line and then turned up in Waterloo. Which possibly suggests that Waterloo was chosen because they could create the CGI scenes more easily, otherwise why not use (old film of) Euston?
I'm not sure why they had him arriving at Liverpool as sailings from Africa would have come into Southampton

DelW

Established Member
I'm not sure why they had him arriving at Liverpool as sailings from Africa would have come into Southampton
Which would of course have made sense of a Waterloo arrival, and possibly even of the single track rural line, since it would have been feasible for the boat connection to run via the Mid Hants if the main line was unavailable.

Western Lord

Not having seen the programme, I'm not sure where the character was supposed to have come from, but passenger shipping services from West Africa operated by Elder Dempster Lines did operate to and from Liverpool. East Africa services by both British India and Union-Castle operated from Tilbury

DelW

Established Member
Not having seen the programme, I'm not sure where the character was supposed to have come from, but passenger shipping services from West Africa operated by Elder Dempster Lines did operate to and from Liverpool. East Africa services by both British India and Union-Castle operated from Tilbury
He had come from Nigeria in the story, and the passenger list being consulted by the immigration officer was indeed headed Elder Dempster Line.