• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Museum Of British Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

busesrusuk

The museum was housed in a former bus garage (actually a tram depot converted to motor bus operation in 1950). The garage was heavily rebuilt and extended for post war motor bus operation but was closed in 1958. The British Transport Museum operated from 1961 to 1973. The building was used as a bus garage again from 1981 to 1987 before being sold for redevelopment.
As mentioned, it was Clapham bus garage which closed (along with others) as a consequence of the 1958 bus strike. Despite being completely rebuilt for bus operation it was operational for only 8 years(1950-1958!). I went there at least once when it was the transport museum and remember it well and always wondered why a building such as that was there (not knowing it was a disused bus garage until later in life).

Despite being in the middle of Clapham it laid empty for a number of years, becoming a go karting track before reopening as a bus garage once again to enable the rebuilding of both Streatham and Norwood garages from 1981 -1987; it was never intended to be a permanent reopening and the site was subsequently redeveloped as a Sainsbury's.

If you know where to look there are still some clues as to its former use as a bus garage. The entrance to the loading bays for Sainsbury's in Clapham Park Road has retained the original brickwork from the garage. Not sure if this link to google maps will work:

here is another image I found of the entrance to the museum:

When the museum closed the London Transport items went to a new LT Museum at Syon Park, later moved to Covent Garden.

I am sure I remember the Deltic prototype being in Clapham - did this go onto the science museum in Kensington upon closure?

HTIOI

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvester

Established Member
I am sure I remember the Deltic prototype being in Clapham - did this go onto the science museum in Kensington upon closure?
It went to the Science Museum in 1963, after withdrawal from service in 1960, and a period in store at EE‘s Vulcan Foundry. In 1993 it moved to the NRM at York. Now at Shildon, it was never at Clapham.

busesrusuk

It went to the Science Museum in 1963, after withdrawal from service in 1960, and a period in store at EE‘s Vulcan Foundry. In 1993 it moved to the NRM at York. Now at Shildon, it was never at Clapham.

Thanks - I must have seen it in the science museum then; memory blurring time/venues ;)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
What was the loco on the plinth outside the museum, please?

It looks like "Rocket", but I'm not sure?

david1212

Established Member
What was the loco on the plinth outside the museum, please?

It looks like "Rocket", but I'm not sure?

It was a replica originally built by the LNWR at Crewe in 1881 and subsequently rebuilt at least once in 1911.
When removed from outside Clapham it was scrapped because rotten.

The original AFAIK is still in the Science Museum London although it has been removed for short(ish) term displays elsewhere.
I have seen it there early 1970's I think.

There is some information and photos about Clapham here.

I was taken by my mother around age 5 or 6 so do not recall any details now.
Later I guess around 1975 we went to Syon Park. Again I do not recall details now.
Around 2000 I went to Covent Garden and have twice been to an open day at Acton.

Merthyr Imp

The original 'Rocket' was at the Science Museum until 2018, then it was on display at times in Newcastle and Manchester before being moved to the NRM at York where it's been since 2019.

Ken H

On Moderation
It was a replica originally built by the LNWR at Crewe in 1881 and subsequently rebuilt at least once in 1911.

The original AFAIK is still in the Science Museum London although it has been removed for short(ish) term displays elsewhere.

There is some information and photos about Clapham here.

I was taken by my mother around age 5 or 6 so do not recall any details now.
Later I guess around 1975 we went to Syon Park. Again I do not recall details now.
Around 2000 I went to Covent Garden and have twice been to an open day at Acton.
Your link refers to the museum in Swindon. Is that what became the current STEAM museum in Swindon? Or is that different.
Not a lot of commonality between the list in your link and the list on the STEAM website

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

The original 'Rocket' was at the Science Museum until 2018, then it was on display at times in Newcastle and Manchester before being moved to the NRM at York where it's been since 2019.
Thank you; I was sure that it couldn't have been the original!

Merthyr Imp

The GWR Museum in a former chapel on Faringdon Road in Swindon opened in 1962 and closed in 2000 when the present Steam Museum opened. Many, if not all the exhibits were moved across.

I remember visiting the old museum in 1962 when it housed the 'North Star' replica, 'City of Truro', 'Lode Star', 2516 and 9400 (that's about all there was room for!).

Strathclyder

Established Member
The GWR Museum in a former chapel on Faringdon Road in Swindon opened in 1962 and closed in 2000 when the present Steam Museum opened. Many, if not all the exhibits were moved across.

I remember visiting the old museum in 1962 when it housed the 'North Star' replica, 'City of Truro', 'Lode Star', 2516 and 9400 (that's about all there was room for!).
Martin Loader (hondawanderer) has 3 excellent images of the GWR Museum dating from July 1989, featuring railcar No.4, 2516 & 9400.

Status
Not open for further replies.