• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My idea for Good Lines to potentially be reopened as preserved or main line

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Good lines to re-open as preserved or main lines.

To start off with I think a line between Leamington Spa and Leicester would be good going Leamington Spa, Radford Semele, Offchurch, Marton, Rugby, Ullesthorpe, Broughton, Countersthorpe, Wigston and Leicester. (Main Line).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I would be interested to know how you define "Good lines". Now when I was in my late teens / early 20's I smoked and swallowed some interesting stuff. I'm wondering whether you might have taken my lead on this. Take it from me no good will come of it.

Last edited:

GazUk

Good lines to re-open as preserved or main lines.

To start off with I think a line between Leamington Spa and Leicester would be good going Leamington Spa, Radford Semele, Offchurch, Marton, Rugby, Ullesthorpe, Broughton, Countersthorpe, Wigston and Leicester. (Main Line).

More later.

Rugby to leamington would not happen due to the fact houses and warehouses have been built at leamington and new Bilton junction in rugby has been decimated and is now a bloody big junction for the western by-pass :the rugby to leamington line stops about 300 yards away from said junction as it not in use by anyone!! :)

The rugby to Leicester line is mostly there still,but around south wigston houses,factories and a big college are in the way! Along with the M6 being in the way north of rugby.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
How about a Preserved line between Leamington Spa and Daventry. It might help a lot as Daventry is a busy place with no station.
If a Preserved line is put in maybe put in a little mainline station for a shuttle service to Rugby.

Also for the Rugby-Lem line you could build a few bridges and have it running along the street like in the US or make a tunnel under the road and make trains run at a reduced speed under it (if it doesn't interfere with the plumbing).
With the Leicester to Rugby line you could make it connect onto the Nuneaton-Leicester line before the factories and the Collage so it avoided them.
With the M6 build a bridge either over or under it so they can run.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Having checked out your profile I can see you are only young, keep up the enthusiasm and ideas as people on the railways are often seen as negative so don't get put off if some of us raise our eyebrows at things. Sadly your ideas will cost a fortune to make work so it isn't likely to happen!

Buttsy

Established Member
I remember most of that line being open in the 80s to serve Southam cement works from the Rugby direction. It is unfortunate for your aspirations that this line wasn't saved when the cement work closed.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Also for the Rugby-Lem line you could build a few bridges and have it running along the street like in the US or make a tunnel under the road and make trains run at a reduced speed under it (if it doesn't interfere with the plumbing).
With the Leicester to Rugby line you could make it connect onto the Nuneaton-Leicester line before the factories and the Collage so it avoided them.

Given what you have posted you might want to Google tram trains. My eldest son lives in Germany and they are popular over there. I think there was a plan to introduce them in Sheffield but that has all gone rather quiet!

Established Member
Not really a new line, but what about reinstating the pointwork South of Nuneaton station to allow Nottingham/Leicester to Coventry services to be re-introduced? From there they could expand South to Leamington & Oxford, should the paths exist South of Coventry.

Last edited:

wasi

Would also like to see Leamington > Rugby opened. I live in Warwick and its a nightmare to keep changing at Leamington AND Coventry.

Colne > Skipton would also be great :)

Tobbes

Established Member
Dunblane - Crianlarich.

Wot he said! (Appropriate signals - nice touch btw).

Whilst I can't see the whole route being reopened, Dunblane - Callander looks possible, and with dormitory growth for the Central Belt and electrification, would be an excellent addition.

GazUk

How about a Preserved line between Leamington Spa and Daventry. It might help a lot as Daventry is a busy place with no station.
If a Preserved line is put in maybe put in a little mainline station for a shuttle service to Rugby.

I know that when the plan for the bypass at rugby was under discussion years ago the plan was to include a rail line across the junction for the future purpose of cemex/rugby cement to transport cement by trains again between rugby and Southam but cemex did not want to do that,so WCC and rugby council made the plan to not include any chance of the line crossing the road (which was a shame tbh) and that would be the only option to get the line across the junction aswell :)

Last edited:

onyxcrowle

Wot he said! (Appropriate signals - nice touch btw).

Whilst I can't see the whole route being reopened, Dunblane - Callander looks possible, and with dormitory growth for the Central Belt and electrification, would be an excellent addition.

A route IMHO that would be well used, perhaps could be the next big reopening in Scotland.
The A84 is a nightmare but a railway would have a huge positive influence on a scenic and Busy place like that, and it would also provide a quicker route from Edinburgh to the west coast

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I know that when the plan for the bypass at rugby was under discussion years ago the plan was to include a rail line across the junction for the future purpose of cemex/rugby cement to transport cement by trains again between rugby and Southam but cemex did not want to do that,so WCC and rugby council made the plan to not include any chance of the line crossing the road (which was a shame tbh) and that would be the only option to get the line across the junction aswell :)
Yes but I was wandering why the heck they taken out the line from Southam cement works with 1 train every week or so instead of having about 250 authorised lorry movements a day!!!

GazUk

Yes but I was wandering why the heck they taken out the line from Southam cement works with 1 train every week or so instead of having about 250 authorised lorry movements a day!!!

Well fishquinn, back in the day (80's & 90's) both the cement works were both active in regards to producing and manufacturing cement,but rugby cement/cemex tried to build the "new" works at Southam but the councils said no,so because of that the "new" works were built at rugby instead and because of that the Southam works mines the clay and what not and the rugby works produces it all.

You are right with the amount of traffic ferrying the clay to and fro,but with the amount of clay traffic and how active the rugby works are now the old single track line that was there would not of coped with the amount of rail movement needed, which if they (dft,WCC,cemex and rbc) used their noggins they could of double tracked the line so freight could use it and install a few stations on the way (parkway stations at dunchurch and long itchington) so that part of Warwickshire was connected by rail- but they didn't :(

Status
Not open for further replies.