• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My idea for more Chiltern loco haul stops at Wycombe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Why? they are for the fast long distance traffic to/from Birmingham, Wycombe has its own service.

calc7

Established Member
Why would the stock forming the service have any bearing on whether the train should stop? :s

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Over the last few months I have been thinking about the loco haul. I think that more loco hauls should stop at High Wycombe. Do you agree?
No, the fast trains between London & Birmingham have to compete with LM and Virgin. They already stop at enough places, definitely no more stations please!

RPM

Established Member
There are already a couple that stop at HWY. Generally though they are used on the faster services that are first stop Bicester or Banbury. Unlikely that this will change, but maybe if further loco hauled sets are introduced in the future there may be a few more Wycombe stops.

Crossover

Established Member
Why would the stock forming the service have any bearing on whether the train should stop? :s

Acceleration? The DMU's will likely way out accelerate the Silver Sets, which are geared more towards a higher top speed than constant stopping/starting

455driver

Veteran Member

Because the OP wants to red line some 67s and cant be bothered to travel to another station to get them! ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
Well I've been campaigning for East Coast services to stop at Hatfield for ages for that exact reason ;)

Luckily the campaign I ran a few years ago to get the FGW HSTs diverted to run between Basingstoke to Waterloo so I could travel on them worked! :lol:

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
Over the last few months I have been thinking about the loco haul. I think that more loco hauls should stop at High Wycombe. Do you agree?

Not exactly 'my idea for more stops'! My idea for more stops is to have more stops!! Going by the thread title I was expecting a long description of how these stops would work, why they were needed and so on.

I assume your thinking is High Wycombe being rather large and important means the loco-hauled intercity-standard services should stop there. But you can only have so many stops if this service is to compete effectively with the WCML. So if you want to put HW on them, you need to knock somewhere else off really, and justify it in terms of passenger demand.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Because the OP wants to red line some 67s and cant be bothered to travel to another station to get them! ;)

This is the exact reason I want the Caledonian Sleeper to serve Milton Keynes. It has absolutely nothing to do with the passenger flow that wouldn't generate :)

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Not exactly 'my idea for more stops'! My idea for more stops is to have more stops!! Going by the thread title I was expecting a long description of how these stops would work, why they were needed and so on.

I believe that the thread has been renamed by forum staff, and was originally just something like "Loco hauls at High Wycombe"

Chester025

And for the record the following loco hauled services stop at High Wycombe Mondays - Fridays -

UP

1H16 0744 PRB - MYB (HW 0753 - 0755)
1H20 0744 BAN - MYB (HW 0828 - 0830) B&G set
1H55 1312 BSW - MYB (HW 1438 - 1439)

DOWN

1R15 0845 MYB - BMO (HW 0909 - 0910)
1G25 1045 MYB - BSW (HW 1108 - 1109)
1U61 1750 MYB - BAN (HW 1815 - 1817) B&G set

CarltonA

But you can only have so many stops if this service is to compete effectively with the WCML.

I notice that Virgin have paid for massive wrap advertising to the escalators at Marylebone underground.

HWY is not very far out from London and I don't see the need for loco hauled calls. There are plenty of DMU semi fasts from there in either direction.

bILLOO

I notice that Virgin have paid for massive wrap advertising to the escalators at Marylebone underground.

I remember Chiltern doing something similar at Euston a year or so ago. Gotta love competition.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah well in that case I'll blame them for the questionable choice of title!
What choice of title would be appropriate, given the limited content of the first post? I think your expectations of having some substance to the opening post is probably more based on common sense than the thread title? ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Acceleration? The DMU's will likely way out accelerate the Silver Sets, which are geared more towards a higher top speed than constant stopping/starting
I'm not so sure. They will be higher geared, but I know 170s, which are based on 168s, have poor acceleration, so would be surprised and disappointed if the silver sets take longer to get up to speed.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I remember Chiltern doing something similar at Euston a year or so ago. Gotta love competition.

There is a cheeky "we're sorry you had to look at that rubbish." poster up at Marylebone at the moment referencing the Virgin adverts on the tube. :lol:

RPM

Established Member
I believe that the thread has been renamed by forum staff, and was originally just something like "Loco hauls at High Wycombe"

Am I the only person who's heart sinks a little when I see threads starting with "My Idea For..."? It is invariably followed by some impractical/whimsical suggestion with no grounding in reality. :roll:

tractakid

What choice of title would be appropriate, given the limited content of the first post? I think your expectations of having some substance to the opening post is probably more based on common sense than the thread title? ;)

How about the original title the author intended? Was there really a need to change it? This petty over moderation, I am afraid, really does wind me up.
[/vent]

This is just another case of someone wanting a better service at their local station, which is completely understandable.

As Tom bought the subject up, why doesn't the sleeper serve MK? I think there is demand for a through service to Corrour. :D

There is a cheeky "we're sorry you had to look at that rubbish." poster up at Marylebone at the moment referencing the Virgin adverts on the tube. :lol:

I noticed that - loved it! Think it also says something along the lines of 'ignore all that rubbish, we're still cheaper'

Am I the only person who's heart sinks a little when I see threads starting with "My Idea For..."? It is invariably followed by some impractical/whimsical suggestion with no grounding in reality. :roll:

Well, we have to have some source of new posts - otherwise we'd spend our whole time posting/reading about HS2 :roll:

As for the OP, as people have said, it's hard to justify stopping more fast trains at High Wycombe - the Birmingham trains currently alternate M-F offpeak between the ones that stop there and those that are fast to Banbury.

tbtc

Veteran Member

I think that the OP has made a reasonable suggestion in this case though.

It depends on whether people see Chiltern as there to provide a cheap alternative for London-Birmingham journeys (esp with enthusiast-friendly loco-hauled services) or whether they should be concentrating more on serving their core area of places like High Wycombe though.

I suspect most people on here are in the first camp (though I am in the second camp). Chiltern are going to target a slice of the London - Birmingham market and a slice of the London - Oxford market (in the future) because its more lucrative - one of the problems of privatisation, but one which (in this case) seems to be good news for enthusiasts.

NSEFAN

Established Member
The Planner said:
High Wycombe gets 5-6tph to Marylebone though? does it justify more than that?

Wycombe might be okay, but I understand that places like Beaconsfield and Gerrard's Cross have lost out in terms of tph due to the mainline services?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
No. It's only Risborough which lost out in terms of tph as far as I'm aware. Gerrards lost some of it's non stop services but journey times and frequency of service either remained the same or improved.

MK Tom

Established Member

Nope, me too.

I can remember visiting Birmingham in 2009 and finding a Chiltern ad at New Street about how Virgin overcharge and a Virgin one at Moor Street about how Chiltern ''don't understand that time is important to you'' or words to that effect. There's a ''don't be held to Branson'' ad at Moor Street right now and another anti-Virgin one at International. These two companies have some very healthy competition going on. Meanwhile anyone who's short on money spends three hours on an LM service :D

cle

Established Member
The locos take long enough to get going as it is. They need to be quicker through Wycombe and the section west of it, not stopping there!

Not if you're standing on the platform, the 67s shake the whole building.

Isn't there a speed restriction through Wycombe station? It seems to be the only place between Wembley and Aynho where trains consistently slow down. Maybe it's so the station doesn't fall down!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It depends on whether people see Chiltern as there to provide a cheap alternative for London-Birmingham journeys (esp with enthusiast-friendly loco-hauled services) or whether they should be concentrating more on serving their core area of places like High Wycombe though.

I don't think it's a case of either or. They can do both, with fast long distance services, loco haule dor not, serving the more distant town and missing out places like High Wycombe.

Provided that HW gets a good level of service to London, plus a few key trains to Birmingham etc, then I think that would be sufficient.

I suspect most people on here are in the first camp (though I am in the second camp). Chiltern are going to target a slice of the London - Birmingham market and a slice of the London - Oxford market (in the future) because its more lucrative - one of the problems of privatisation, but one which (in this case) seems to be good news for enthusiasts.

ONe of the few successes of privatisation is where competition has actually imrpoved services, and the CHiltern Birmingham route is a prime example. My view is that any new services are to be welcomed, and a direct route from Bucks to Oxford is an important addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.