• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My idea for: Pendolinos for Norwich!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
*140mph, but we would have 155mph - of English design - for InterCity if APT hadn't screwed up... Rule Britannia!

We get the point about your 168s now ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RAGNARØKR

Rule Britannia!
Will Oliver Cromwell do?
6116117951_f549540d99.jpg

RAGNARØKR

I'm curious - which loco did they claim this for? Sounds even less plausible than 100 mph in 1904!:D:roll:
There is an old rumour that 2903 Lady of Lyons, one of the Saint class reached 120mph, running light out of Swindon in 1906 when new from the workshops. It has also been suggested, by W A Tuplin, if I recall, that it was done as a bet, which would have provided the motive. The story did not come out until long afterwards.

People have questioned whether it was even possible due to balancing problems.

w0033944

RAGNARØKR;1297904 said:
There is an old rumour that 2903 Lady of Lyons, one of the Saint class reached 120mph, running light out of Swindon in 1906 when new from the workshops. It has also been suggested, by W A Tuplin, if I recall, that it was done as a bet, which would have provided the motive. The story did not come out until long afterwards.

People have questioned whether it was even possible due to balancing problems.

I've just read that, according to timings on passing a pair of signal boxes, it actually should be 135 mph!:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.