• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Idea To Reopen Folkestone Harbour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomotron

Established Member
Folkestone Harbour station has recently been made into a footpath to bring people back to the Harbour Arm. However, wouldn't having a train station bring in more people? I think that the line and the station should be reopened as a train station for the Arm and a new junction to allow trains to not have to reverse that faces west built as well. Maybe even reopening Folkestone East as well (I mean, the platforms are still mostly intact including one shelter that's fully intact). I also think that the fast tracks at West would be reintroduced and the other island platform at Central reopened.

The services from FH would go like this:
- 1tph to London Charing Cross
-1tph to London St Pancras International
-1tph Folkestone Central shuttle
-(maybe) 1tph Thameslink service, as an extension to the Maidstone East service

What do you think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class465fan

Still don't see the reason why they've closed down the station and boarded it up? Could've been a good use to the people that lives there. And yes i think those services could work

NSEFAN

Established Member
Folkestone Harbour station has recently been made into a footpath to bring people back to the Harbour Arm. However, wouldn't having a train station bring in more people? I think that the line and the station should be reopened as a train station for the Arm and a new junction to allow trains to not have to reverse that faces west built as well. Maybe even reopening Folkestone East as well (I mean, the platforms are still mostly intact including one shelter that's fully intact). I also think that the fast tracks at West would be reintroduced and the other island platform at Central reopened.

What do you think?
For the extra services, the paths may not exist. Alternatively, you have to cancel services to other destinations, so who loses out? Even for the Thameslink extension, there is probably not enough stock. Whilst the area may be regenerated, I would say at best a shuttle to Folkestone East would be sufficient, which would more likely be a tram rather than heavy rail. The sole reason to have heavy rail is for boat trains, for which there is no market anymore.

MarkyT

Established Member
The curves on the old platforms are extremely tight. Far too tight for new build, and now it's been closed the station probably couldn't be reopened as it will have lost its 'grandfather rights'. Not saying it's viable, but assuming the station issues could be sorted by some means, trains serving the branch might be Chatham line Dover terminators running on to Folkestone Harbour direct via a remodelled junction at Folkestone East.

tellytype

You'd have a job re-opening it now since it has only just had millions spent on being turned into a rather nice pedestrian walkway from Tram Road, over the swing bridge & down through the old station & out on to the harbour arm, which is now a bit like a pier would have been in the old days

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/photographs-show-stunning-transformation-folkestone-1408937

Having worked on that harbour arm in the Hoverspeed days its not entirely an unwelcome improvement, but I can't see it being much fun come November time!

DPWH

On Moderation
It maybe could do with a tea room. I don't think it needs trains.

Doomotron

Established Member
For the extra services, the paths may not exist. Alternatively, you have to cancel services to other destinations, so who loses out? Even for the Thameslink extension, there is probably not enough stock. Whilst the area may be regenerated, I would say at best a shuttle to Folkestone East would be sufficient, which would more likely be a tram rather than heavy rail. The sole reason to have heavy rail is for boat trains, for which there is no market anymore.
As for the Thameslink services, the Maidstone East services would be extended, calling at Ashford International, Folkestone West, Central, East and Harbour. No new stock (should) be needed, although if it is, there are a couple of 700s in Dollands Moor. I have no idea why they're there.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
As for the Thameslink services, the Maidstone East services would be extended, calling at Ashford International, Folkestone West, Central, East and Harbour. No new stock (should) be needed, although if it is, there are a couple of 700s in Dollands Moor. I have no idea why they're there.
The full planned Thameslink service is not yet running (and wasn't yet planned to be running even without the problems).

RichJF

I still think Folkestone is too far away for Thameslink. It's better for reliability to contain it to Ashford and give the Maidstone line over to Thameslink.

Folkestone badly needs the Harbour Arm regeneration. It's a project that will improve the town & bring an attraction to the seafront that has been run down for many years.

The 700s in Dollands Moor are for the fully expanded TL network that's not yet operational.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

What do you think?

Pointless

Spartacus

Established Member
Pointless

Quite. It was already as quick to walk across town than wait for the train to reverse, never mind taxi if you didn't want to walk. Taking luggage to the ferry meant it was worth getting the train throughout, but the withdrawl of that meant the purpose for being went.

fergusjbend

The west-facing junction with the SE mainline leads to a reversing siding and thence to the harbour branch. This was designed as a safety precaution to prevent any train from approaching the branch at speed and being unable to slow down on the steep gradient to the harbour. Presumably the same considerations would apply today and make it very unlikely that the branch could be used for anything other than a shuttle to Folkestone Central.

bussnapperwm

Established Member

Had it still been open, would a Class 139 shuttle to Central have worked for the Harbour branch?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Had it still been open, would a Class 139 shuttle to Central have worked for the Harbour branch?
It was one of a few suggestions considered as part of the closure procedures. With no likelihood of any cross channel ferry services returning to the harbour the DfT, local authority and NR appeared to have quickly realised that closure was inevitable.

The time for this discussion would have been about 2014, the branch is a historic footnote now.

Anyone wishing to read the closure consultation, feedback and ratification can find them here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/folkestone-harbour-closure-of-branch-line-and-station

Romilly

Established Member
In a recent published decision by the Information Commissioner, the current position of the Folkestone Harbour Company was explained as follows:

FHC explained that its current activities are much less than they have been in the past when Folkestone was the embarkation port for Sealink Ferries sailing across the Channel to France. They are now limited to running the small harbour at Folkestone and overseeing the fishing fleet of around 10 vessels and about 40 small craft which moor there. There has been no other commercial shipping business for over ten years.

That seems to reinforce the views of those who see no prospect of the rail-link re-opening.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
In a recent published decision by the Information Commissioner, the current position of the Folkestone Harbour Company was explained as follows:

That seems to reinforce the views of those who see no prospect of the rail-link re-opening.

The line was redundant , in real terms , after the cessation of regular trans Channel services. The odd use of the VSOE train was only sustainable in the short term. The condition of the branch was patchy and the area was in need of resignalling - at a cost of about £10M+

The closure process was led by an ex Folkestonian , who despite being sympathetic , realised there was no future.

Harbornite

Established Member
Why bother? There's a reason why the line is not in use any more...

B&I

Established Member
Might be an interesting spot for a heritage line, with a battery-converted tram or an old EMU running on it. Implausible, but I'm feeling imaginative in this sunny weather

MarkyT

Established Member
It was mentioned in the consultation, as per my earlier reply, post #15.

I note that was specifically a Parry People Mover solution on rails with some shuttles extended via a retained junction along the main line to Folkestone Central for interchange. Complicated and costly I suspect! A fully independent light rail system might be easier with a bit of tramway extended along Marine Parade to the Leas lifts, but wouldn't have the main line interchange.

Spartacus

Established Member
Might be an interesting spot for a heritage line, with a battery-converted tram or an old EMU running on it. Implausible, but I'm feeling imaginative in this sunny weather

I believe someone did want to run it as a heritage line, though they wanted to council to buy it, restore the infrastructure, then gift it to them. And I’d like the council to buy me a nice Jag XE.....

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Took a walk down it today - a good effort and an asset to the town. Probably a steady footfall exceeded in the days of a handfull of boat trains ....

Status
Not open for further replies.