• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My ideas for the East Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
The MML "Intercity" services would probably be too small to warrant a stand alone franchise - you'd only have around forty trains

East coast have around 45 though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
East coast have around 45 though.

And an argument could be made that they should be turned into a multi-purpose franchise (there's could also probably be one made for ICWC getting the same treatment).

ivanhoe

TBH I think what the northern part of the MML needs more than anything else when it's electrified is new EMU service between Nottingham, Leicester and Derby. Possibly Lincoln in the longer term.

Nottingham, Leicester and Derby, along with Loughborough have a combined metro population approaching 2 million. Nearly the size of the West Midlands or Greater Manchester conurbations. Yet the rail service is between in undeveloped at best.

For example, the basic Nottingham-Derby is short DMUs stopping most places. The Birmingham XC service runs via Derby, when it would make more sense to run straight there if the services between the two places where better. Derby already has a good Birmingham service.

A combination of fast/semi fast/stopping EMU services between Nottingham, Derby, Loughborough, Leicester and later Lincoln would be welcome with non-intercity fares to compete with local bus services. In turn the Intercity service should be speeded up with the slower trains calling at only 1 of the smaller stations (alternately) instead of acting like a stopping service, letting the EMUs do the donkey work.

For example, a Leicester, to Lincoln fast services is needed to compete with the A46. Loughborough - Derby/Nottingham could be done in about 10 minutes if there were non-stop services available, with lower fares, crushing bus competition. Ditto Nottingham - Derby could much quicker. Stopping services would of course remain but themselves be speeded up by superior acceleration.
Of course you have the small problem of the position of Loughborough Station. The buses you wish to smash would have to be used to get to the Station. If you know the Geography of Loughborough, most people live to the west of Epinal Way, which in itself is a good 35 minute walk from the Station. I'd argue for local journies to East Midland Cities, buses are the most cost effective way from Loughborough, except Lincoln but Lincoln is poorly served by all modes of transport, including decent roads. Nice City though!

tbtc

Veteran Member
And an argument could be made that they should be turned into a multi-purpose franchise (there's could also probably be one made for ICWC getting the same treatment).

I would agree with that - TPE have around fifty trains, East Coast around fifty trains, a return to a stand alone intercity operator for the East Midlands would have a similar number... that's a lot of separate franchise deals to conclude, a lot of duplication of staff, a lot of different organisations competing for paths... seems a waste to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.