• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

reddragon

Established Member
You lucky so-and-so! Good eBay finds seem to be like needles in a hay stack nowadays, especially with auctions. Like you say, you need to be careful for as to when you go searching and what you buy!

-Peter
Lost the next one. Rule 1, set a limit & do not go higher so you can sell it later without loss

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Lost the next one. Rule 1, set a limit & do not go higher so you can sell it later without loss
A very good rule to go by on eBay. I've always got quite a low limit when bidding so I often have to lose various auctions :D

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Blimey! :lol:

-Peter
OK I only expect 5 in the next 2 weeks and a 6th in the next month subject to Hornby cancellations!

## update Wednesday ##

Loco 1 has arrived & been tested. A little jerky, maybe needs a clean otherwise fine.

Welcome to Lima Class 52 D1071. Already DCC fitted for just £31. Not a planned purchase but a little bargain that will run for a while before maybe going again.

1619619301797.png

4 more locos on the way and 6 on pre-order!

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Very nice and yes that's a great price. Is that BR Blue? Looks a little more like electric blue but it could just be the lighting?

reddragon

Established Member
Very nice and yes that's a great price. Is that BR Blue? Looks a little more like electric blue but it could just be the lighting?
It is a bit light isn't it. Lima often were off on their colours. Nice loco though, little usage unlike its maroon sister I have that's battle weary!

Iskra

Established Member
It is a bit light isn't it. Lima often were off on their colours. Nice loco though, little usage unlike its maroon sister I have that's battle weary!
Well apparently shades of BR blue did vary so, it could well still be prototypical. It looks nice anyway and that's the main thing!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice. They always were a good model although the shelf below the windscreens is a bit too prominent.
Being that it’s quite light coloured it could make a great china clay loco with some white dusty weathering powder on it...

reddragon

Established Member
Today my latest arrival arrived from eBay.

Lima EPS grey Class 73.118. The reason I got it was because it has been modified with LED lights, and all wheel pick up. And -

DCC-ready with directional LED cab lighting. Original pancake motor replaced with a NEW, quiet, Mitsumi can motor, secured with 'ezClips' so it can be removed easily for maintenance or replacement. This is the hardier 12mm motor that will cope with extra weight in the loco if you want to improve traction. Fitted ezBoard (usually £8.99) 8-pin decoder socket for any standard decoder and terminals to easily add further lights if you wish. This board supports 3 channels of directional lighting with any budget 4-function decoder.

1619702379227.png

1619702408236.png

1619702435609.png

1619702472069.png

It has gained my DCC chip from the recently sold class 110.

It runs like a dream and successfully hauled my 17 coach train with ease. The modern printer motor is a very high quality one but can run a bit warmer than I'm used to.

##############

Next loco I bought a month ago and has been away to be modified. It is a Bachmann shunter I have had renumbered 09.010 for my Southern theme.

1619702678101.png

It seems to run at a realistically slow speed.

#######

Also got my 66 back after open heart surgery to fit the speaker. The sound is Awesome!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s an amazing job someone’s done on the 73. They were always one of Lima’s best models for looks in my opinion but whoever sold that to you has done a great job at bringing it up to modern standards.

Oh and the 09 is lovely.

Peter C

Established Member
Those engines all look really nice @reddragon - the blue on the Lima 52 does look a bit funny but you can always get away with it by saying it's "Chromatic Blue"... ;)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Saturday my Class 86 was converted back to DC and listed on eBay, with bidding underway. Today my class 25 and Anglia Class 170 are being listed along with an Airfix Mk 2d BSO.

My next new loco gets its chip from the class 86.
It is a Hornby Steam loco, 7007 Great Western. Chip fitting was very simple in the tender, 2 screws & enough space.

1620048622796.png

I have successfully completed the insulation works in most of the loft, so next is the up loco shed & up approach layout works.

I also have a new diesel loco in works awaiting a chip to fit and more on the way, lots more!

Peter C

Established Member
Saturday my Class 86 was converted back to DC and listed on eBay, with bidding underway. Today my class 25 and Anglia Class 170 are being listed along with an Airfix Mk 2d BSO.

My next new loco gets its chip from the class 86.
It is a Hornby Steam loco, 7007 Great Western. Chip fitting was very simple in the tender, 2 screws & enough space.

View attachment 95461

I have successfully completed the insulation works in most of the loft, so next is the up loco shed & up approach layout works.

I also have a new diesel loco in works awaiting a chip to fit and more on the way, lots more!
That engine looks really nice @reddragon - a proper machine. :)
Sounds interesting re: loft work too.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well done for getting the insulation done. I bet that’s made a huge difference?
Love the Castle.

reddragon

Established Member
Well done for getting the insulation done. I bet that’s made a huge difference?
Love the Castle.
Its the last section so not a huge difference. I do still have the other end not done but I have building works planned there so no railway.

The Castle is very good, better than hoped!

Just sold the Class 170 already for what I paid for it.

## Tuesday ##

Today I have started the reconstruction of the carriage & wagon sidings so I can clear the main line. 2 points so far installed and one link track. This time with better and straighter tracks & insulators / connectors. The Class 09 will have a home. At the end will be the programming track long enough for EMUs.

My Mainline Class 56 has received is stay alive as it was very fussy over points, section breaks etc making it a super engine to use. Meanwhile my Hornby Class 423 was declared a failure by its driver yesterday. Lots of juddering that needs checking.

Into service today is a MBA wagon 500178. This Bachmann model is so much better than my Dapol MCAs.

1620133513008.png

In the works is another new loco, awaiting a chip. I also have one away for chip fitting and another in the post. Three really good models to be revealed in due course!

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
I don't have much time, just short breaks on a work day to do bits but some progress on my carriage sidings is under way. The previous sidings were poorly laid, lacked insulation & power connections. Lifting was easy due to the diluted PVA used to lay them.

The East siding 1 is laid (holding the Mainline Mk1 rake) and the run through to the suburban station is in place. Currently this is not powered up but the cables are ready for connecting.

1620291736471.png

Again another box of track is required as I do not want to use too much of my older tracks outside of coach storage, hence no use by powered locos due to dirt / cleaning issues.

My next loco has arrived today, a bargain from Rails as all of the Class 71s are now due to excess supply. It's the DJ Models version DCC fitted which is much better than the Hornby version on DCC. You can get Hornby ones under £100 now. Having test run, it runs a bit differently and sounds odd due to its coreless motor. Runs at a scale speed.

1620312093423.png

My southern stock is growing steadily!

I have also today installed the 3rd carriage siding, which will act as a temporary programming track. It enabled me to change CVs on a multiple unit to a long address. I have 2 more units to do and 3 steam.

My 59 & 56 now have stay alive and I've just taken the Lima HST out of service for stay alive fitting in both power cars. I've ordered some more chips for new locos and stay alives to upgrade a few more locos. News to follow!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a really nice interesting looking loco. I don’t remember ever seeing one in service but I’ve always liked the quirky look of them.

Peter C

Established Member
I don't have much time, just short breaks on a work day to do bits but some progress on my carriage sidings is under way. The previous sidings were poorly laid, lacked insulation & power connections. Lifting was easy due to the diluted PVA used to lay them.

The East siding 1 is laid (holding the Mainline Mk1 rake) and the run through to the suburban station is in place. Currently this is not powered up but the cables are ready for connecting.

View attachment 95594

Again another box of track is required as I do not want to use too much of my older tracks outside of coach storage, hence no use by powered locos due to dirt / cleaning issues.
This is just turning into my dream layout now @reddragon! Is that some sort of flyover you've got there? Looks really cool.

My next loco has arrived today, a bargain from Rails as all of the Class 71s are now due to excess supply. It's the DJ Models version DCC fitted which is much better than the Hornby version on DCC. You can get Hornby ones under £100 now. Having test run, it runs a bit differently and sounds odd due to its coreless motor. Runs at a scale speed.

View attachment 95611

My southern stock is growing steadily!

I have also today installed the 3rd carriage siding, which will act as a temporary programming track. It enabled me to change CVs on a multiple unit to a long address. I have 2 more units to do and 3 steam.

My 59 & 56 now have stay alive and I've just taken the Lima HST out of service for stay alive fitting in both power cars. I've ordered some more chips for new locos and stay alives to upgrade a few more locos. News to follow!
That looks like a really nice model. I might look into getting one - I remember when the Hornby ones came out I was just getting into the hobby and couldn't really afford one. The 71s were interesting with that pantograph on the top, even though they were SR 3rd rail engines: IIRC, the pantographs were for shunting in yards?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
This is just turning into my dream layout now @reddragon! Is that some sort of flyover you've got there? Looks really cool.

That looks like a really nice model. I might look into getting one - I remember when the Hornby ones came out I was just getting into the hobby and couldn't really afford one. The 71s were interesting with that pantograph on the top, even though they were SR 3rd rail engines: IIRC, the pantographs were for shunting in yards?

-Peter
The Hornby 71 is a problem with DCC fitting. Surgery is required to fit a chip, maybe unless you use a nano chip?

My job lot has just arrived :) :) Its good. Some I shall sell, others not sure yet. Pics later!

reddragon

Established Member
My job lot locos

To sell 08513

1620470299423.png

Needs a lot of work then sale 37715

1620470346015.png

For sale 47xxx Hornby

1620470388165.png

To keep Lima 47824

1620470472707.png

To sell Railroad HST DCC ready, but I might keep some of its coaches

1620470539374.png

May keep 59201

1620470577246.png

Will keep 60008

1620470604368.png

Will sell or swap for my 60050

1620470634661.png

Hmm, might keep & swap with my 92

1620470674970.png

I also got wagons & coaches too, some to go, some to keep!

I have a full loco works with these 9 plus 5 for stay alive fitting, busy busy!