• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its the textured look that really sets it off, many times better than stone / brick paper!
Definitely. I had to use printed paper on one of my buildings as it had so many windows but I’ve never been happy with it and I’d like to change it at some point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
Definitely. I had to use printed paper on one of my buildings as it had so many windows but I’ve never been happy with it and I’d like to change it at some point.

They do embossed brick paper in N gauge. Some comes from Greece, some from China via the same seller.

Then there are laser cut window frames too from others!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They do embossed brick paper in N gauge. Some comes from Greece, some from China via the same seller.

Then there are laser cut window frames too from others!
I might have a look into that. This is the building:

E44525F6-7200-4565-8898-D250E694EBE1.jpeg

I just couldn’t work out how to do it at the time as on the real one the windows are flush to the brickwork and there’s absolutely loads of them!

reddragon

Established Member
I might have a look into that. This is the building:

View attachment 87081

I just couldn’t work out how to do it at the time as on the real one the windows are flush to the brickwork and there’s absolutely loads of them!
This is what you want

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s quite nice. I think I did look at that at the time but the spacing between the windows wasn’t quite right. Might have a rethink though.

reddragon

Established Member
Today I replaced the drawing pins with larger head nails, painted the edges grey and glued the wallpaper stonework on underneath the arches.

I first tried trimming and sticking but in the end sticking and trimming with a craft knife turns out to be better.

I have used a combination of double sided tape (to make it stay) and wallpaper border glue as it is super sticky

1608478407621.png1608478435146.png

1608478474262.png

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s coming along very nicely. I reckon when it’s eventually finished chalk would be a good thing to weather it with?

reddragon

Established Member
Todays progress is the front side of the viaduct (I will not do the rear as it is out of sight. Part one added, held by double sided tape & glued on with wallpaper border glue & then the arches trimmed out.

1608651301508.png 1608651392904.png

Once tried & tested I have added the rest - taped edges, glue the rest. What you may see above is that where the glue was thicker the paper has turned a bit green, At first annoyed but it actually looks like moss!

1608651500930.png

1608651543970.png

And with the off trims I did the rear parapet wall

1608651588794.png

1608651615335.png

Next is trimming out the arches, covering the rest and then the detailed work - my weak point!

23rd and the next steps

First I have cut out the arches. It turns out cutting out most of the paper & using the knife to finish works better

1608713880277.png

1608713913599.png

I have used a Metcalfe P0210 paving slab kit to do the arch stones. I have used their sticky back to stick them but expect that I might need to re-stick them so I have tried just 1 arch first.

1608713977812.png

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You’re really cracking on with this. It’s starting to look really good.

reddragon

Established Member
Last night I installed the viaduct in place but it was too dark for a good shot, so here are the pictures of it in place!

1608822841623.png

1608822866967.png 1608822897547.png

with locos on for scale

1608822945946.png

1608822974731.png

My next task is of course to finish the stone paper, the edging & trims, coping stones, getter etc and of course when finally available track!!

Then the scenery below - hills, river, waterfall etc

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking good. I see 40106 lurking at the back there, is that a Jouef model?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes it is, so not ideal / worth conversion but might do it later for sentimental reasons!
I never owned any Jouef locos (had a couple of mk3s though), what do they run like and what sort of motor do they have?

reddragon

Established Member
I never owned any Jouef locos (had a couple of mk3s though), what do they run like and what sort of motor do they have?
They have a basic 3 pole motor like old Hornby but in a plastic case driving a worm gear & cog. All pick up is from the trailer bogie & all wheel drive on the motor. They run pretty well actually but the body is out of scale.

Can be converted, might do it one day but parts are an issue

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They have a basic 3 pole motor like old Hornby but in a plastic case driving a worm gear & cog. All pick up is from the trailer bogie & all wheel drive on the motor. They run pretty well actually but the body is out of scale.

Can be converted, might do it one day but parts are an issue
Interesting. So would you say that they’re on a par with Hornby/Lima stuff of that era?

reddragon

Established Member
Interesting. So would you say that they’re on a par with Hornby/Lima stuff of that era?
Hmmm

Motor drive was better than Hornby or Lima, smooth & quiet.
Drive & traction was high but motor power less so, they stalled by the motor stopping rather than slipping hence risk of burn out.
Body detail was just below Hornby.

Lima won at that time

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmmm

Motor drive was better than Hornby or Lima, smooth & quiet.
Drive & traction was high but motor power less so, they stalled by the motor stopping rather than slipping hence risk of burn out.
Body detail was just below Hornby.

Lima won at that time
Ah fair enough. I do remember that the nose on the Jouef 40 looked a bit wrong. When Lima bought their one out it was a complete game changer.
I’ve actually got a class 40 in 00 still as a little display thing.
It’s D200 and it’s the only 00 model I’ve got left, it’s got a little plinth that it sits on for display purposes.

2EA78EEA-92F2-4380-B1C4-06180A5EE8DD.jpeg

Today I have started again working on my viaduct.

I have used the thin plasticard on the arches underneath. I have used PVA glue to stick them in with drawing pins as temporary fixings. I think I need to get better large head nails to fix it more permanently.

View attachment 87061 View attachment 87062

I have also fixed my first sheet of stonework in place to see how it sticks with PVA glue

View attachment 87063

Now its time to let the secret out of the bag!!

Its textured wallpaper :) This is what it looks like on the reverse!

View attachment 87069

Being wallpaper rather than printed printer paper, there are no issues with wrinkling etc, it went on just like wallpaper!!!

They do all modelling scales, many types of finish and all sorts of shapes, all only on A4 sheets though.

Yes OK, here is the link to my wallpaper and the sellers shop.

Let me know what you think!
What superb looking stone and brick paper. Many thanks for the link. I’ll be investing in some of that!

Peter C

Established Member
I keep meaning to come on to this thread and share my thoughts on that brilliant viaduct and time's just run away (where to I don't know)!
Your viaduct looks really, really good @reddragon; it's shown me that it's possible to make large, impressive structures such as that without as much fuss as others may have inferred elsewhere on the interwebs. I'll definitely look into getting some of the paper you've used to finish off some of my own buildings; I'm currently working on a couple of things which that would go brilliantly with.

That Class 40 looks really nice as well @Cowley; I'm wondering whether I should try making a couple of display plinths to show some of my engines which don't work/don't work well and so don't get used on the layout. Did you make that plinth or was it a pre-made one? I've seen people do both.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That Class 40 looks really nice as well @Cowley; I'm wondering whether I should try making a couple of display plinths to show some of my engines which don't work/don't work well and so don't get used on the layout. Did you make that plinth or was it a pre-made one? I've seen people do both.

-Peter

Yes I made it out of a bit of old chipboard, a couple of lengths of track and some buffers and basically just brick paper, I just got it out of the cupboard to take a picture and it seems to have got a bit damp and discoloured so I’ll have to sort that out at some point.
It’s quite a useful thing to do as a little practice run for doing scenery and ballast etc.

00D076D8-4A60-48F2-AB6C-56C9E04AABC9.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
Yes I made it out of a bit of old chipboard, a couple of lengths of track and some buffers and basically just brick paper, I just got it out of the cupboard to take a picture and it seems to have got a bit damp and discoloured so I’ll have to sort that out at some point.
It’s quite a useful thing to do as a little practice run for doing scenery and ballast etc.

View attachment 88018
Ah OK - thanks for the explanation. I expect you would probably fix some of the issues with the back wall through using scatter materials and the like, but that might take away from the detail on the brick paper.
I've been wanting to practice ballasting (before it goes on the layout) for a while now and that seems to be the best way of going about it. I could even set it up and have a tiny micro-layout if I can find a set of points...! :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I thought that I'd develop this thread to my layout as a whole.

Construction work has been suspended for a while now due to the low temperatures in the loft. The extensive insulation has stopped it getting hot in the summer but I still have areas to do so the cold still gets in. Although not as cold as outside, I do need a few positive degrees outside for it to work.

Yesterday I did manage to go up there and take my new purchases up. I fitted C=Rail containers to 4 Hattons wagons. That is a very fiddly job!!

I still have a delivery from last year stuck in the Royal Mail backlog and the lack of Peco flexi-track is getting frustrating.

Whilst waiting I am extending the baseboard around the loft and replacing my coaching stock with Western Region coaches Mk1, 2a, 2d/e. I have even managed to get 1 solitary Southern Mk 2A.

Class 800's are still too expensive or not the models I want to get.

I have pre-ordered a Hornby W1 - 10000 in Garter Blue plus the P2 - 2007 Prince of Wales

I have a long wish list so eBay sales need to go well to fund it!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@reddragon - Morning. :)
I was wondering if you could draw out track plan at some point to give us an idea of what you’re fitting in up there?

Peter C

Established Member
Could you recommend software to do this or should I hand draw it?
Just jumping in I'd recommend AnyRail for planning/designing stuff (or just showing a layout design) but you can only use 50 pieces of track in the base version.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
You asked so here it is from my Z21

The main station so far. P1/2 are 6 car, P4-10 about 9-10 cars

1610823224305.png

To the left will be exchange sidings and carriage sidings. Tracks 5/6 and 9/10 will be designed to hold a full length 25-30 wagon freight

The suburban station (5 car) and developing sidings.

1610823315758.png

The suburban station will be rebuilt at some point.

End to end is about 20m. The loop from end to end will be another 25m. Just need lots of track from Peco!

Peter C

Established Member
You asked so here it is from my Z21

The main station so far. P1/2 are 6 car, P4-10 about 9-10 cars

View attachment 88750

To the left will be exchange sidings and carriage sidings. Tracks 5/6 and 9/10 will be designed to hold a full length 25-30 wagon freight

The suburban station (5 car) and developing sidings.

View attachment 88751

The suburban station will be rebuilt at some point.

End to end is about 20m. The loop from end to end will be another 25m. Just need lots of track from Peco!
Those look absolutely brilliant - when I have to opportunity to make a layout in the loft at some point later on in life I'll definitely be building something like that because it's what I think of when I think of a loft layout. The big station looks excellent and having the shorter platforms adds some variety to it I expect?

-Peter