• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Mystery Excursion"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CromptonLad

:lol::lol: Some of these are quite amusing - the Stokies Rhyl 'Mystex' back to Stoke made me chuckle at work.

I think 'Valhalla' will take the biscuit but worth a shot - most 'exotic' / 'out there' destination on a loco board?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I know its supposed to be for trains, but I hope nobody minds this entry...

One of my hobbies is to look at where ships are going to - using the AIS system. A few years ago a ship was run aground in Turkey for scrapping, they kept changing her destination to "Valhalla", "The Promised Land" and then "Paradise" which was a nice touch and gesture from the crew who were well aware of people tracking her final movements

On topic, I remember a pacer once set off for Beverley with York on the front which caused some old timers to remark the old line must be open again

BestWestern

Established Member
:lol::lol: Some of these are quite amusing - the Stokies Rhyl 'Mystex' back to Stoke made me chuckle at work.

I think 'Valhalla' will take the biscuit but worth a shot - most 'exotic' / 'out there' destination on a loco board?

Are you sure they weren't taking the ****!?

To remain off topic for a moment; is the QE2 still tied up in Dubai?!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Are you sure they weren't taking the ****!?

To remain off topic for a moment; is the QE2 still tied up in Dubai?!

Tied up along side the pier at Dubai, though with some parts being repaired and a watertightness inspection due January 22nd. I've heard a strong rumour she's under orders to sail once repairs are complete

Back on topic, I remember a Hull - Leeds run many years ago which had blank boards up at each end of the unit... A mystery destination I guess

Calthrop

Established Member
Not excursion-related as such: but I've always -- a bit shamefacedly -- enjoyed the section early in Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat, where the three are setting off from London for their boating holiday on the Thames. They need to get to -- long since I read the book, I forget most of the details -- but I have a feeling that it may have been Staines: call it so, for sake of the story.

They proceed to Waterloo Station, and find there, a scene of utter cluelessness and chaos. No platform-indicator notices that make any sense; no station staff have the faintest idea of what train is departing from what platform, when, for what destination; locomotive crews, when talked with, have as little notion of to where and at what time, they are working their train. Our heroes finally solve the problem by heading for a particular train at random, and successfully bribing the driver and fireman to be -- let's say -- the 10.30 for Staines. The chapter is concluded: "And this is how we got to Staines by the London & South-Western Railway".

Obviously, totally crazy hyperbole -- and one wonders why Jerome particularly had it in for the LSWR; which I've never heard of in any other context, as being supposedly particularly incompetent and inefficient. However -- a "fun fantasy". (I gather that at approximately the same date, the Chemin de Fer de l'Ouest in France was -- with rather more justification -- a byword for "being unable to find its arse, even with both hands".)

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Not excursion-related as such: but I've always -- a bit shamefacedly -- enjoyed the section early in Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat, where the three are setting off from London for their boating holiday on the Thames. They need to get to -- long since I read the book, I forget most of the details -- but I have a feeling that it may have been Staines: call it so, for sake of the story.

They proceed to Waterloo Station, and find there, a scene of utter cluelessness and chaos. No platform-indicator notices that make any sense; no station staff have the faintest idea of what train is departing from what platform, when, for what destination; locomotive crews, when talked with, have as little notion of to where and at what time, they are working their train. Our heroes finally solve the problem by heading for a particular train at random, and successfully bribing the driver and fireman to be -- let's say -- the 10.30 for Staines. The chapter is concluded: "And this is how we got to Staines by the London & South-Western Railway".

Obviously, totally crazy hyperbole -- and one wonders why Jerome particularly had it in for the LSWR; which I've never heard of in any other context, as being supposedly particularly incompetent and inefficient. However -- a "fun fantasy". (I gather that at approximately the same date, the Chemin de Fer de l'Ouest in France was -- with rather more justification -- a byword for "being unable to find its arse, even with both hands".)

They wanted a train for Kingston upon Thames. The scene at Waterloo was somewhat of a Victorian joke due to the layout which was utterly confusing even to people who worked there

Calthrop

Established Member
They wanted a train for Kingston upon Thames. The scene at Waterloo was somewhat of a Victorian joke due to the layout which was utterly confusing even to people who worked there

Ah, Kingston. Thanks. I'd got the general picture of the old Waterloo being confusing -- but Jerome might seem to be over-egging the pudding -- however, imaginative authors -- "they never stop..."

LowLevel

Established Member
As an aside I am told that 52806 has finally lost it's foreign destinations - the chip had evidently started to go wrong and lost some fairly crucial stops so it's been chucked and replaced with a standard one - RIP intercontinental 158 destinations!

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
This was I believe the opposite issue - a 150 subbing in on Wharfdale line services, might not have had an Ilkley destination blind (or did they just not get around to setting it on the rear cab?)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The destination before Bradford on the blind may well be Burnley. And Ilkley is between Burnley and Bradford...

Scotrail84

Established Member
There is also Garden fetstival. Manchester united football ground amongst others.

Status
Not open for further replies.