• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mystery of new poles in West Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishwomp

I've seen pairs of new black poles at every station I've visited recently in South West Wales.
  • About 10-12 ft above the track height
  • A 6"x6" square flat panel at the top covered by black plastic - potentially a sign itself or a mount for something going on the flat panel.
  • On single-platform stations (on the Pembroke & Tenby line), the posts are directly opposite each other - at no particular platform end (can be one of up or down end) - with one on the platform and the other in the ballast opposite.
  • On two-platform stations, the posts are not opposite (Clunderwen with a staggered platform for example, each platform has one but they're a good distance apart)
What are they up to? Been there since at least May. Thinking it's something positioning/locating related - possibly some beacon in the left of cab will trigger it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike 1050

They will be running 4 car trains instead of 2 car trains up the coast line over the summer . The posts are for the driver so he knows where to stop

fishwomp

They will be running 4 car trains instead of 2 car trains up the coast line over the summer . The posts are for the driver so he knows where to stop
I don't think that is possible - because they are, on single track platform, both at exactly same location but opposite side of track. By way of example, at saundersfoot they are both about one coach length from the Eastern end of the platform. So if it were the right place to stop a 4-car coming from the west, only a single coach length would be in the platform if you were coming from the east!

mr_moo

Interesting. I like 'what is that' posts as usually I know the answer, being a railway engineer and all that, but I can't answer this one!

What I can do is provide a photo of them (from forward facing train video) so hopefully someone else will look at them and go "I know!" - This is Saundersfoot:

1689282602796.png

The one on the left is just visible too if you look closely.

What I will note is the lack of any cable trench up to them on the platform, suggesitng they have no electrical or data connections, and are thus either just a sign post or possibly a passive RFID or beacon of some kind. (And yes, that longitudinal trench was there before these were installed - I went back to an older video and checked!)

Railsigns

Established Member
I don't think that is possible - because they are, on single track platform, both at exactly same location but opposite side of track.
Occasionally duplicate car stop markers are provided, one on the platform and one on the other side of the track at the same position.

fishwomp

Occasionally duplicate car stop markers are provided, one on the platform and one on the other side of the track at the same position.
They are not positioned correctly to be car stop signs: they are only at one position on the platforms in single track sections - not at both ends of the platform. If plain old signs, it's hard to see a good reason that they be covered in black plastic rather than unveiled and used on day 1.

What I will note is the lack of any cable trench up to them on the platform, suggesting they have no electrical or data connections, and are thus either just a sign post or possibly a passive RFID or beacon of some kind. (And yes, that longitudinal trench was there before these were installed - I went back to an older video and checked!)

My guess is that they're part of something position reporting, and it's triggered/talking to some balise/sensor on the left hand side of the rolling stock. The train itself is connected to internet these days, so the 'thing' doesn't need to be connected itself.

Lack of power: I have seen solar used down this neck of the woods - the CCTV camera at Beaver's Hill open (stop, toot and go) crossing (nr manorbier) is solar powered. RFID style power-less might be workable, but there's a good 10 ft horizontally from the nearest rail to the one on platform at Saundersfoot in the picture which is a pretty big gap for RFID.. But OTOH, small batteries can last years in small 2.4GHz/433MHz transmitter devices too.

Railsigns

Established Member
They are not positioned correctly to be car stop signs: they are only at one position on the platforms in single track sections - not at both ends of the platform.
Narberth and Johnston stations have them at both ends. They're almost certainly new car stop markers.

fishwomp

Narberth and Johnston stations have them at both ends. They're almost certainly new car stop markers.
Ok thanks.

Manorbier is at the down end, which makes sense for that end to have it - as it tells driver that he has cleared the crossing, and there is a stop board in the up direction for the crossing button so is unnecessary there.

Still puzzled as to why Saundersfoot, is up direction only.. could it be that in down direction the driver sits adjacent to the platform and expected to be able to stick head out of window to know? Seems unlikely that the installers would do only half the job and come back later..

mr_moo

Lack of power: I have seen solar used down this neck of the woods - the CCTV camera at Beaver's Hill open (stop, toot and go) crossing (nr manorbier) is solar powered. RFID style power-less might be workable, but there's a good 10 ft horizontally from the nearest rail to the one on platform at Saundersfoot in the picture which is a pretty big gap for RFID.. But OTOH, small batteries can last years in small 2.4GHz/433MHz transmitter devices too.
That is a fair point - hadn't thought of solar power, plus could have a simple SIM card in it for comms, so I take back my previous statement.

Railsigns

Established Member
Still puzzled as to why Saundersfoot, is up direction only.. could it be that in down direction the driver sits adjacent to the platform and expected to be able to stick head out of window to know? Seems unlikely that the installers would do only half the job and come back later..
Saundersfoot has an existing "S car stop" marker (applicable to all train lengths) in the Down direction.

GardenRail

Interesting. I like 'what is that' posts as usually I know the answer, being a railway engineer and all that, but I can't answer this one!

What I can do is provide a photo of them (from forward facing train video) so hopefully someone else will look at them and go "I know!" - This is Saundersfoot:

View attachment 139043

What I will note is the lack of any cable trench up to them on the platform, suggesitng they have no electrical or data connections, and are thus either just a sign post or possibly a passive RFID or beacon of some kind. (And yes, that longitudinal trench was there before these were installed - I went back to an older video and checked!)
Jesus, look at the weeds!

barbette165

The sign by the track tells the driver where to stop, the one on the platform tells passengers where the front of the train will be.

62484GlenLyon

The sign by the track tells the driver where to stop, the one on the platform tells passengers where the front of the train will be.
Are these new signs needed because of different driving position/altered visibility in TfW's new stock compared with the existing stock?

mallardvideos

They are not positioned correctly to be car stop signs: they are only at one position on the platforms in single track sections - not at both ends of the platform. If plain old signs, it's hard to see a good reason that they be covered in black plastic rather than unveiled and used on day 1.

My guess is that they're part of something position reporting, and it's triggered/talking to some balise/sensor on the left hand side of the rolling stock. The train itself is connected to internet these days, so the 'thing' doesn't need to be connected itself.

Just new stop signs

Attachments

• inbound6760625692039587855.jpg
    inbound6760625692039587855.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 105
  • inbound2961857515249700977.jpg
    inbound2961857515249700977.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 101

Western 52

This is one of the new signs at the up end of Pembrey and Burry Port.

Attachments

• 20230714_163155.jpg
    20230714_163155.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60

Marton

View attachment 139043

Status
Not open for further replies.