• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Naming of coaches and buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheeltapper49

Roman City of Bath in the early 1960's had 2 tail finned coaches named Romulus and Remus after Baths ' original roman name of Aqua Sulis.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdevs Harrogate Electric Volvo 7900Es are named after primary schools as similarly are a number of the Solos at Keighley, A few across the fleets are named after former employees and one of the Harrogate 36 vehicles is named after Ray Stenning who I would suggest does not fit into the well known category that includes the likes of Gareth Southgate, The Keighley 662 Shuttle vehicles have spacecraft names. The sole named Coastliner vehicle is The Spirit of Tadcaster, named as part of the celebrations for the reopening of the bridge over the RiverWharfe,

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As regards the misspelled names on the First Leeds Dynamo buses, I think there was an Alan Bennet (missing a T) and only the other day I saw the Jimi Heseldene OBE (should be Heselden).
Jimmy Savile's name seems to be commonly misspelt online but I was surprised to see First got it wrong.

xydancer

Going way back, from some time in the 1920s, York Bros of Cogenhoe (just east of Northampton) named all their buses and coaches after warships (all were HMS...). Apparently it was the idea of Fred York, one of the brothers, although quite why warships (especially given Northampton is almost as far from the sea as you can get), I have no idea. My memory is that the name was on the back of the bus, originally under the window.

The tradition was certainly still going strong into the 1970s when I was at school locally, and I think continued right up to the company's takeover by Bowens in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.