• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Narrow Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrummieBobby

Travelling as a passenger and signaling trains in the West Midlands, I have always been taken with how narrow the platforms are at some of the smaller stations. This is particularly noticeable at Dudley Port (Narrow island platform in the 6 foot of the Up and Down Stour, with trains passing at high speed) and Smethwick Rolfe Street (Very narrow platforms towards the Birmingham end of the station, with only around c2 feet of standing space between the yellow platform edge line and the embankment towards the edge of the station)

Are there any guidelines for minimum platform widths? Obviously I understand that established stations probably get by with grandfather rights to an extent, but are there any guidelines for new stations (Such as the new stations at Darlaston Junction and Willenhall)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Travelling as a passenger and signaling trains in the West Midlands, I have always been taken with how narrow the platforms are at some of the smaller stations. This is particularly noticeable at Dudley Port (Narrow island platform in the 6 foot of the Up and Down Stour, with trains passing at high speed) and Smethwick Rolfe Street (Very narrow platforms towards the Birmingham end of the station, with only around c2 feet of standing space between the yellow platform edge line and the embankment towards the edge of the station)

Are there any guidelines for minimum platform widths? Obviously I understand that established stations probably get by with grandfather rights to an extent, but are there any guidelines for new stations (Such as the new stations at Darlaston Junction and Willenhall)
Yes, there are minimum standards. For newbuild platforms you need 2.5m unobstructed width from the platform edge for side platforms, somebody with access to the RSSB standards will be able to provide more details.

As with other standards, a derogation can be applied for if needed, and these standards have changed over time (you can occasionally see platforms with extensions of different lengths built 20-30 years apart). And as you mention, grandfather rights apply.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The then-new Shepherds Bush station on the West London Line was delayed in its opening, reportedly due to the insufficient width of the platform. A post from the time can be found at http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/2007/10/shepherds-bush-platform-debacle.html The down platform extension at London Road Guildford seems even narrower to my eye, however I guess that may come under a grandfather rights derogation.

The Shepherd's Bush platform debacle

Rumour has it that the mysterious delay in the new Shepherd's Bush station on the West London Line opening is down to one of the platforms being built too narrow. I went down there to take a look, and it's obvious even from first glance that something's not right.

[Latest 02/08: The wall will be moved, taking at least four months]

As the photos show (click to enlarge), there's barely enough space to walk round the lamp posts without crossing the yellow line, and apart from the area by the stairs the problem seems to exist along the entire length of the platform. The second photo shows the retaining wall that needs to be moved to fix the problem. Although not clear in the picture, there is at least a short area of tarmac between the metal fence and the concrete structure beyond, so it may be straightforward to fix. The right hand (southbound) platform appears to be a decent width.

If you want to see this for yourself, turn left out of Shepherd's Bush tube station, cross in front of the bus station, and follow the pavement round to the left. As you descend the ramp towards the subway under the West Cross Route, you get a very clear view of the station to your left.

Update: I've dug up a plan (4.7MB PDF) showing that the structure in the second photo is probably the Peninsular Building, and there's a wide road between it and the station. Worryingly, more than a year before construction began, it clearly shows a very narrow northbound platform (Here's a more detailed view from the same application). And here's the latest version of the interchange plans, dated June 2007, again showing plenty of space beyond the retaining wall.

colchesterken

I think Ingatestone is dangerous, 100mph trains passing,on the down side, the bit by the station buildings is not much wider than the yellow safety line

Snow1964

Established Member
Raynes Park station towards Waterloo gets very narrow at London end, the yellow lines actually merge, and from memory the last 20m has no yellow lines as painting a line would taper towards both platform edges. The other end was lengthened as part of 10 car scheme, and prior to covid platform was very busy in morning peak.
Haven't been there recently but if trains cut back to 8car, narrow bit might be out of regular use.

I vaguely remember Shawford station Southbound is very narrow, just the 2 panel wide Southern style prefab platform with trains passing at 100mph

artemic

An exercise (in insanity?) in this regard is platform 2 of Aspley Guise station on the Marston Vale, where the platform is so narrow that the yellow line painted on it theoretically forbids the use of the platform bench!
I have to wonder if this was considered when it was painted - certainly too few passengers to justify any platform extension.
Geoff Marshall visited in 2017 and you can see here the difference between platform 1 where the original yellow tiling exists, and platform 2 where the surface was relaid. (I believe this is still the case, if only there were some trains one could ride there to check..!)

Obviously, grandfather rights apply + it isn't exactly a high speed line - but perhaps an interesting example of where more of the platform is forbidden than allowed!
I presume with East-West Rail this will disappear as a result of the rationalisation of stations.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Raynes Park station towards Waterloo gets very narrow at London end, the yellow lines actually merge, and from memory the last 20m has no yellow lines as painting a line would taper towards both platform edges. The other end was lengthened as part of 10 car scheme, and prior to covid platform was very busy in morning peak.
Haven't been there recently but if trains cut back to 8car, narrow bit might be out of regular use.
8 and 10 car trains stop in the same place. For those unfamiliar with the location, the 0m52 point in this video demonstrates the part of the platforms you describe in your post (if I've linked to it correctly it should hopefully skip to that part).

D6975

Established Member
If you want to see some really narrow platforms, take a ride on the Glasgow underground.

Sealink

If you want to see some really narrow platforms, take a ride on the Glasgow underground.

I also have memories of being really nervous at Clapham North and Clapham Common underground stations!

Status
Not open for further replies.