• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express vs Flixbus vs Megabus - which of the three is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
So, I've now become such a madlad to the point I'm willing to do a daytrip to Scotland, Yorkshire or Cornwall by taking an overnight coach from either London Victoria or Gatwick Airport and sleeping onboard the coach.

The places I plan on visiting include:

Pembrokeshire (Wales)
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Cornwall
Leeds
York
The Lake District
North Wales

Which of the three is better (cost, reliability, performance etc.) - National Express, Megabus or Flixbus?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think you'll find cost and quality the opposite way round, i.e.:

Cheapest: Flix
Middle: Megabus
Most expensive: NatEx

but

Highest quality (operational and comfort): NatEx
Lowest quality: Flix

You get what you pay for! :)

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I think you'll find cost and quality the opposite way round, i.e.:

Cheapest: Flix
Most expensive: NatEx

but

Highest quality (operational and comfort): NatEx
Lowest quality: Flix

You get what you pay for! :)

You say that (and it's correct by the example I'm about to demonstrate now)

London - Edinburgh singles

National Express: £21
Megabus: £19

But Flixbus costs around £30...

Mind you, can still be far cheaper than the train.

Fleetmaster

It's something like £45 for the red-eye Megabus trips to do a Saturday day trip to Edinburgh in a fortnight. Outbound leaves at 10pm Friday night, return midnight Saturday. Both trips are direct and under 8 hours.

That alone seems to be pretty good proof that Megabus is still the Daddy of fast cheap coach services, and the only reason you would choose NaTex is for their greater number of destinations and FlixBus if they were having a sale I guess.

Not my area of expertise by any means, but I would take that trip, and if the specific advantages of the other two aren't obvious to me to look again at their options, they need to up their PR.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Years ago I used to use Megabus a fair bit, but these days I prefer the superior quality of National Express. I don't do coaches too often, and I've never used Flixbus, but when it comes to quality and range of destinations then it's National Express all the way for me.

I am slightly biased though, as National Express are the only coach service in my city. It's provided by Yeomans, a local company in the area, and I have yet to have a problem with their operation. Some delays of course, but I like National Express and actively avoid Megabus.

As for doing long trips to places like Pembrokeshire with just sleeping on the coach, well you're braver than me. It's a beautiful area to visit, so you'll have a great time!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Years ago I used to use Megabus a fair bit, but these days I prefer the superior quality of National Express. I don't do coaches too often, and I've never used Flixbus, but when it comes to quality and range of destinations then it's National Express all the way for me.

I am slightly biased though, as National Express are the only coach service in my city. It's provided by Yeomans, a local company in the area, and I have yet to have a problem with their operation. Some delays of course, but I like National Express and actively avoid Megabus.

As for doing long trips to places like Pembrokeshire with just sleeping on the coach, well you're braver than me. It's a beautiful area to visit, so you'll have a great time!

Looks like you live in Hereford then lol

I've been on National Express coaches when I was a young kid, and I do remember them being pleasant to travel on, so certainly something to choose! I mean, to be able to do Cornwall day trips from West Sussex, I only have National Express as a choice anyway (routes 404 and 406 London to Penzance)

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
It's something like £45 for the red-eye Megabus trips to do a Saturday day trip to Edinburgh in a fortnight. Outbound leaves at 10pm Friday night, return midnight Saturday. Both trips are direct and under 8 hours.

That alone seems to be pretty good proof that Megabus is still the Daddy of fast cheap coach services, and the only reason you would choose NaTex is for their greater number of destinations and FlixBus if they were having a sale I guess.

Not my area of expertise by any means, but I would take that trip, and if the specific advantages of the other two aren't obvious to me to look again at their options, they need to up their PR.

Oh of course I would! I just don't seem too sure which of the three I would choose as they both normally appear to be the same price

Established Member
I had some great deals with NatEx in the summer of 2021.

Bristol to London for 90p.

London to Bristol return for £5.80.

Several Manchester-Birmingham runs at the same fares.

Did Manchester-London on a Megabus that wasn't a Megabus last October on a strike day for £5.99. Very greatful it wasn't a Megabus as the original coach from Glasgow got caught up in traffic around Manchester and Birmingham that we missed entirely on the duplicate. To the extent that I'd got to London, gone for a pint, got the tube to Morden, a bus up the road to my AirBnB, met the hosts and had a chat and was lying in bed to see the original coach was just passing Hyde Park!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looks like you live in Hereford then lol

I've been on National Express coaches when I was a young kid, and I do remember them being pleasant to travel on, so certainly something to choose! I mean, to be able to do Cornwall day trips from West Sussex, I only have National Express as a choice anyway (routes 404 and 406 London to Penzance)

Correct :) You may have guessed that from the recent discussion about the X3 from Hereford to Cardiff ;) There is a reason why I have a fair amount of knowledge on bus routes in this part of the world :lol:

I think overall though that you'll have a decent journey regardless of which operator you pick. I'd probably not be doing journeys to places like Scotland or Cornwall by coach, unless desperate, as I'd personally prefer to do that sort of distance by rail. Unless the price difference was incredibly huge!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've done both NatEx and Megabus overnight from London to Newcastle before. Both, IIRC, were dirt cheap. I don't think I paid more than £15 one way.

NatEx there was a stop at Trowell Services (near Nottingham) and everybody seemed to have to get off. Everyone gravitated towards McDonald's and all the passengers ended up sat together having a burger at 2am - all 10 of us or so. I managed a few hours sleep on that one as it was quite quiet and easy to stretch out.

Megabus doesn't make any service station stops and it was rammed. I had a lovely woman next to me who talked on the phone all night and predictably I didn't sleep. Never again...

I've only done Flixbus during the day but they're extremely variable. That said, I haven't paid more than £7.99 for any journeys with them...

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Correct :) You may have guessed that from the recent discussion about the X3 from Hereford to Cardiff ;) There is a reason why I have a fair amount of knowledge on bus routes in this part of the world :lol:

I think overall though that you'll have a decent journey regardless of which operator you pick. I'd probably not be doing journeys to places like Scotland or Cornwall by coach, unless desperate, as I'd personally prefer to do that sort of distance by rail. Unless the price difference was incredibly huge!

I prefer the train as well, the problem is that at the moment I'm only 21 so not yet old enough to be able to afford overnight stays which the train would require :)

lxfe_mxtterz

I'll usually tend to go for National Express, even if they're a little more expensive, as I find the service to be superior and the coaches a lot more comfortable - indeed, the London to Glasgow overnight service is actually rather pleasant.

The only exception to this is any service operated by Selwyns of Runcorn, who I now actively try to avoid, as they seem to consistently let me down every time I travel with them.

Of the few times I've used Megabus, on one of them the seat reservations simply didn't exist and passengers argued and bickered with each other over seats, and on another the driver drove like a maniac, switching lanes every few seconds, tailgating and using the horn as if it were a toy... this did mean we got in early though. ;)

I haven't used Flixbus so can't comment.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I've done both NatEx and Megabus overnight from London to Newcastle before. Both, IIRC, were dirt cheap. I don't think I paid more than £15 one way.

NatEx there was a stop at Trowell Services (near Nottingham) and everybody seemed to have to get off. Everyone gravitated towards McDonald's and all the passengers ended up sat together having a burger at 2am - all 10 of us or so. I managed a few hours sleep on that one as it was quite quiet and easy to stretch out.

Megabus doesn't make any service station stops and it was rammed. I had a lovely woman next to me who talked on the phone all night and predictably I didn't sleep. Never again...

I've only done Flixbus during the day but they're extremely variable. That said, I haven't paid more than £7.99 for any journeys with them...

Are you required to get off at service stations or can you stay onboard?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Are you required to get off at service stations or can you stay onboard?
I prefer to stay on board and go back to sleep if the coach stops at a service station. Personally, I prefer it if they don't stop at all, although that only happens where the service is dual crewed or there is a driver change.

I don't think you can associate the different companies with their passengers as there will be a different experience on different nights.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I prefer to stay on board and go back to sleep if the coach stops at a service station. Personally, I prefer it if they don't stop at all, although that only happens where the service is dual crewed or there is a driver change.

Same as me then!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I prefer the train as well, the problem is that at the moment I'm only 21 so not yet old enough to be able to afford overnight stays which the train would require :)

Ah fair enough. Overnight stays are the best way to do long trips, been there and done that with the overnight coaches. Too old and worn out for that nonsense now, but then I'm 17 years older than you!

HST43257

Established Member
I’m planning to do a Saturday overnight (would’ve taken sleeper but obviously can’t) London to Glasgow coach in the Summer. The options are:

Megabus - Ldn 2330, Gla 0730
NatEx - Ldn 2130, Gla 0630
NatEx - Ldn 2230, Gla 0720
Flixbus - Ldn 2230, Gla 0730

All priced between £15 and £17. I’m not a good sleeper in seats usually so it’s a survival mission I guess. The lack of stops and good timings on the megabus option are compelling, but I’ve heard poor reviews. National Express is apparently most comfortable but I’m not too sure of this and I don’t know much about Flixbus.

Side notes - would all of these usually be full in the summer or might I be lucky with a spare seat next to me or anything? Also, are higher priced reservations worth it for legroom or table seats?

Any advice appreciated

JonathanH

Veteran Member
All priced between £15 and £17. I’m not a good sleeper in seats usually so it’s a survival mission I guess.
Take an eye mask and, if you can, a neck cushion, and just put your head back. I try counting calmly can help as a sleep mechanism.

The lack of stops and good timings on the megabus option are compelling
Yes, indeed.

but I’ve heard poor reviews.
They all have good and bad nights. Depends on who your fellow passengers are to some extent, although also a bit on the specific coaches used.[/QUOTE]

National Express is apparently most comfortable but I’m not too sure of this
Depends if you like leather seats or not. Personally, I find the deeper pile moquette on the Megabus Plaxton Panoramas more comfortable, although the leg room is a bit better on National Express Levantes.

and I don’t know much about Flixbus.
Me neither on the Anglo-Scottish routes.

Side notes - would all of these usually be full in the summer or might I be lucky with a spare seat next to me or anything? Also, are higher priced reservations worth it for legroom or table seats?
Flixbus may allow you to book the adjacent seat although I've never really worked out how that is managed on their coaches.

Expect coaches on Anglo-Scottish trips to generally be full. I don't have a problem sitting next to people, but others do. I've come to the realisation that sitting upright is better than sprawling in any case. Reservations may be worth it for legroom on Megabus, but the risk exists that they are not honoured if there is a substitution or relief coach.

Ultimately, it is an overnight coach and you have to realistic about what is on offer. Generally, I would just choose coaches on the basis of timetable, price and calling pattern.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've tried to book out adjacent seats on Flixbus before and every time I've ended up with a different layout of coach and had to fight for literally any seat.

Legroom is tighter I've found too, compared to National Express.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Out of those options, I'd choose the NX one with the least stops and book that in an ideal world. Of course, for London to Scotland, my preference would be day train and hotel but then I'm a fussy ol' soul!

I'd absolutely not be booking Megabus, and Flixbus remain a weird curiosity but I'm in no hurry to travel with them.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Why? What issues within their control can you not accept?

Well, part of it is being snobbish if I'm brutally honest! I know that's not a good reason, but it's what it is.

Another part of it comes down to them not serving my part of the world, and I didn't like the seat reservation fees when I looked at a potential trip many months ago.

There's also previous overnight trips I've done on Megabus that weren't great, and I'm not willing to endure such things again. I'd rather postpone a trip than endure an overnight Megabus again.

In my case, it's all relative anyway as I'd be more likely to be on Avanti from London to Glasgow or LNER London to Edinburgh, with a hotel that night, than on an overnight coach journey of any sort.

jupiter

We’ve done both megabus and nat ex from Poole to London a number of times plus Poole to Heathrow. Megabus have been equally as good for London and better for Heathrow as the timings are better.

gazr

I've tried to book out adjacent seats on Flixbus before and every time I've ended up with a different layout of coach and had to fight for literally any seat.

Legroom is tighter I've found too, compared to National Express.
I've only used FlixBus once and this happened to me. Don't waste what seems like a great deal of paying only 2.50 (at least for my journey) for the seat next to you, when it probably won't happen- regulator should look into them as most people won't fuss over it and it's easy money for them.

johncrossley

Established Member
Well, part of it is being snobbish if I'm brutally honest! I know that's not a good reason, but it's what it is.

Megabus is no longer part of the Stagecoach group and uses independent operators in the same way National Express does. I therefore don't see much of a difference in "poshness" between the two.

HST43257

Established Member
Which of the operators‘ have things like tables and plug/USB sockets? Also which are most susceptible to substitute coaches that will presumably have none of these issues?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Shows how much I know about buses and coaches then eh? I could swear Stagecoach still had a hand in Citylink in January though, with one of their coaches making a very unplanned substitute on route 11 out of Inverness.

Status
Not open for further replies.