• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National express West Midlands

WM Bus

From the 24th July 2022, 14 is curtailed to Chelmsley Interchange and 72 extended to Yorsminster Drive as a replacement.
Also 94/95 operated by Birmingham Central and 14 operated by Perry Barr. Ending PB/BC split on the 94/95 and also means Birmingham - Ward End corridor will be operated by just one depot for the first time since Lea Hall closed 12 years ago.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Justin Tyme

Is Sprint up and running?
I've looked on NXWM website and none the wiser.

No, it isn't - and despite a TfWM update for June saying that "Construction of the first phase of Sprint has now been completed", there is no mention of when it will start. I believe it was due to start in time for the Commonwealth Games, which are due to start late this month. The impression I get from TfWM gives is that that intention has been quietly forgotten.

One piece of good news though - the Wright Hydroliners (which are due to be used on Sprint when it starts) have begun to re-enter service after 4 months off the road. As before, they are being used on Walsall - Birmingham service 51.

WM Bus

No, it isn't - and despite a TfWM update for June saying that "Construction of the first phase of Sprint has now been completed", there is no mention of when it will start. I believe it was due to start in time for the Commonwealth Games, which are due to start late this month. The impression I get from TfWM gives is that that intention has been quietly forgotten.

One piece of good news though - the Wright Hydroliners (which are due to be used on Sprint when it starts) have begun to re-enter service after 4 months off the road. As before, they are being used on Walsall - Birmingham service 51.
For the time being just the existing 51 and X51 services taking advantage of new infrastructure.
It will be September or later before any cross city service starts now.
It became appparent this would be the case when this article was published

The new Sprint bus corridor between Walsall and Birmingham will open before the Commonwealth Games, transport bosses have confirmed.

Also notable Summer timetables come into effect as per usual from the 24th July, this time with some extra 1AM journeys added on key City Centre services. 3, 16A, 101, 94, 14, 67, 7, X2, X21, X12 and Dudley 12.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
I had a look at the timetable for the 12 as it goes right past my flat.

I presume the service just after 01:00 is for people returning from the Commonwealth Games. and especially the Aquatics Centre in Sandwell, as the 12 goes very near to it.

But I don't see the point in the long gap between the regular last bus at about 23:40 and the extra last bus at just after 01:00.

There are going to be a few people hanging around a long time waiting for the bus, unless pubs and restaurants are open especially late.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I had a look at the timetable for the 12 as it goes right past my flat.

I presume the service just after 01:00 is for people returning from the Commonwealth Games. and especially the Aquatics Centre in Sandwell, as the 12 goes very near to it.

But I don't see the point in the long gap between the regular last bus at about 23:40 and the extra last bus at just after 01:00.

There are going to be a few people hanging around a long time waiting for the bus, unless pubs and restaurants are open especially late.
The last bus on the 12 comes from the last bus on the 13 returning to Birmingham as a 12 from Oldbury. For whatever reason, NX finishes running the 12 from Dudley much earlier, so there's no other incoming buses to form a service between the 2340 and 0108. Presumably just finiding an extra bus to fit between would be much more expensive.

Statto

Established Member
For the time being just the existing 51 and X51 services taking advantage of new infrastructure.
It will be September or later before any cross city service starts now.
It became appparent this would be the case when this article was published

Also notable Summer timetables come into effect as per usual from the 24th July, this time with some extra 1AM journeys added on key City Centre services. 3, 16A, 101, 94, 14, 67, 7, X2, X21, X12 and Dudley 12.

Anyone know when the roadworks in Digbeth are due to be completed, can often be gridlock in that area because of it, & don't think any cross city services will start until those roadworks have been completed?

duncanp

Established Member
The last bus on the 12 comes from the last bus on the 13 returning to Birmingham as a 12 from Oldbury. For whatever reason, NX finishes running the 12 from Dudley much earlier, so there's no other incoming buses to form a service between the 2340 and 0108. Presumably just finiding an extra bus to fit between would be much more expensive.

I can see the reason for this, but why just the last bus on the 13 from Birmingham returning from Oldbury to Birmingham as a 12.

If there is sufficient demand for a bus from Birmingham on the 12 at 1am, then there would surely be demand for a bus at around 00:30.

WM Bus

I can see the reason for this, but why just the last bus on the 13 from Birmingham returning from Oldbury to Birmingham as a 12.

If there is sufficient demand for a bus from Birmingham on the 12 at 1am, then there would surely be demand for a bus at around 00:30.
That bus finishes at Oldbury on the 13 at 00:30. Previous 13 finishes at Oldbury at 23:30 from the timetable.
With a 13A finishing at Blackheath at Midnight.

Its the same with the X2 as well. One at 23:35 and the next one at 01:25. 01:25 comes from Coventry on the X1.

duncanp

Established Member
That bus finishes at Oldbury on the 13 at 00:30. Previous 13 finishes at Oldbury at 23:30 from the timetable.
With a 13A finishing at Blackheath at Midnight.

Its the same with the X2 as well. One at 23:35 and the next one at 01:25. 01:25 comes from Coventry on the X1.

Whatever the logistics, I find it difficult to believe they couldn't find a bus from somewhere to provide a bus from Birmingham on the 12 at about 00:30.

If this expermental timeable during the Commonwealth Games proves successful. it might be worth contiuing the late night buses on Friday and Saturday nights, especially as Broad Street has reopened and the tram will start running from tomorrow.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Whatever the logistics, I find it difficult to believe they couldn't find a bus from somewhere to provide a bus from Birmingham on the 12 at about 00:30.

If this expermental timeable during the Commonwealth Games proves successful. it might be worth contiuing the late night buses on Friday and Saturday nights, especially as Broad Street has reopened and the tram will start running from tomorrow.
I'm sure they could if they wanted to - but it would likely be more expensive to provide that the later one with no current idea of demand. I wish you luck in having a permanent later service - few services in the country are improving at the moment.

duncanp

Established Member
I'm sure they could if they wanted to - but it would likely be more expensive to provide that the later one with no current idea of demand. I wish you luck in having a permanent later service - few services in the country are improving at the moment.

I am not expecting permanent late night services on the 12 in the immediate future.

But before COVID there was virtually an all night service on Route 9 between Birmingham and Halesowen in the early hours of Fridays and Saturday, so the demand must have been there.

I suppose it will depend on how the economy performs and the recovery of the hospitality sector, but night bus service provision in Birmingham is poor compared to cities like Edinburgh and London.

WM Bus

I am not expecting permanent late night services on the 12 in the immediate future.

But before COVID there was virtually an all night service on Route 9 between Birmingham and Halesowen in the early hours of Fridays and Saturday, so the demand must have been there.

I suppose it will depend on how the economy performs and the recovery of the hospitality sector, but night bus service provision in Birmingham is poor compared to cities like Edinburgh and London.
The 9's night service on early Saturday and Sunday mornings was removed. First bus out of Birmingham on a Sunday morning after 1AM is now 07:05.

On the other hand the 74 seems to have kept its all night early Friday and Saturday morning service, the X1 still runs 24/7 etc, the 63 has an extra 3AM journey Saturday/Sunday mornings, other days it runs till 2AM.
So perhaps on the 9 the demand wasn't there?

317 forever

Established Member
I had a tour of Birmingham & West Bromwich yesterday.

It does seem that a majority of buses serving New Street station, Moor Street Station or Carrs Lane at least are in grey Platinum livery.

NewClee153

As someone who lives 10 mins up the road from the 12/12A, I have to agree with you. However, I think the last departure from Birmingham should be later than 20 mins before midnight

WM Bus

Post September timetables now starting to appear on TFWM website.
71 is going down in frequency to every 30 minutes during the day.
94, 7, 16A and 67 keeping their new 01:00 journey (94 retimed to 01:00 from 01:15).

Losing the 01:00 journeys last X12 will be at 23:20, 12 will be 23:40, last 14 at 00:37, last 101 at 00:05 and last 3 at 23:50 all moved forward from 01:00.

Post September timetable not yet available for X1/X2 or X21/X22.

Last edited:

NewClee153

Post September timetables now starting to appear on TFWM website.
71 is going down in frequency to every 30 minutes during the day.
94, 7, 16A and 67 keeping their new 01:00 journey (94 retimed to 01:00 from 01:15).

Losing the 01:00 journeys last X12 will be at 23:20, 12 will be 23:40, last 14 at 00:37, last 101 at 00:05 and last 3 at 23:50 all moved forward from 01:00.

Post September timetable not yet available for X1/X2 or X21/X22.
Do we know if the 80 will be losing its late service from Birmingham? I imagine it must be quite useful for those living in the Ladywood area

OptareLover

On Moderation
I've noticed that almost all National Express West Midlands and National Express Coventry buses all have "named" buses.

Does anyone know who they actually name the bus after?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've noticed that almost all National Express West Midlands and National Express Coventry buses all have "named" buses.

Does anyone know who they actually name the bus after?

Discover the names of our buses

We have over 1,600 buses in our fleet and many of them carry a name. These bus namings are made for a number of reasons, including special recognition, to mark employees' long service or in memory of former colleagues.

Some of our customers have also been lucky enough to win competitions to have their nominated name fitted too.

See below for a full list of all our operational buses.

Simon75

On Moderation
I travelled on 2 National Express West Midlands buses 23/5/2023 and noticed they have no ticket machine but a scanner for cards and hopper for coins ?

RT4038

Established Member
I travelled on 2 National Express West Midlands buses 23/5/2023 and noticed they have no ticket machine but a scanner for cards and hopper for coins ?
I think you'll find they all have ticket machines too!

winston270twm

Established Member
The ticket printer (red box) is a separate unit & located to the righthand side of the driver, whereas the coin hopper & scanners are to the left.

JD2168

Does anyone know which vehicle was severely damaged in the suspected arson attack on Wednesday night?

WM Bus

The 5 service Wolverhampton to Codsall is to be withdrawn from the 5th November by National Express (NX).
Banga Buses have registered a replacement service.

End of WMT/NX operation in Codsall after many years.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
The 5 service Wolverhampton to Codsall is to be withdrawn from the 5th November by National Express (NX).
Banga Buses have registered a replacement service.

End of WMT/NX operation in Codsall after many years.
Is the 710 school bus being withdrawn too (or has it)?

It is some year since I've been that way but I seem to remember Banga competing with NX W Mids on routes into Staffs when they first started up.